Please help! I can't find this recording anywhere

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cees
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

A few months ago when you could listen to "Blue Star Radio" on the web, I heard Cormac Breatnach's version of "Si Beag, Si Mor." I immediately fell in love with it and haven't been able to get it out of my head.

However, I can't find a recording of this version anywhere. I know it is on some compilation CDs--Celtic Twilight, and that sort of thing; but I don't particularly want to buy a whole CD I know nothing about. I believe this tune is on Cormac's former group Deiseal's first album, "Long Long Note," but I can't find this for sale anywhere, either. I've emailed Cormac but I'm sure it will be a while before I get an answer as he is probably very busy.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this? I would really appreciate any info! I've done exhaustive internet searches and perused every music website I can think of.

TIA,
Cees
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Unless something has changed drastically in the last year or so, that CD (The Long Long Note) is still out of print.

Loren
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Holy Crap Tony!!!!!!

You have a team of people working for you or what?

Thanks for the info...I also enjoyed this version.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Naah... I seem to have found a nack for internet research though.
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Wow, Tony, that is certainly a lot of research/links. Thanks for your hard work! I listened to all of them and the 60 second or so clip from this link you found is the one I want:

http://paul.draigweb.co.uk/paul/me_music.shtml

Thanks for finding it. I wish they had the whole thing...then I could try to learn it by ear (Cormac's version).

Philippe Varlet of Celticgrooves.com emailed me today and told me he could order Deiseal's first CD for me. Has anyone heard this CD before? Is the whole CD as good as this tune? Thanks for your responses. :smile:
Tony

Post by Tony »

Cees, that was 15-20 minutes work... Tops!
I have you to thank...
One of those links I hit today was a musician with an unusual stringed instrument called 'The Stick' It was invented around 1970 but this is the first time I've seen or heard of it.
I've spent the last three hours researching websites of musicians using this instrument, listening to sound files and checking out some really awesome videos.
Cees

Post by Cees »

I guess we helped each other, then! :smile:
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Cees - I found a full length MP3 of the tune... e-mail me if you're interested and I'll arrange a download for you.

Tony - I used to be a huge fan of a Canadian fingerstyle guitarist named Bruce Cockburn, and he had a fantastic stick player in his band named Fergus Marsh.
I've only seen one other person play one, but he isn't worth mentioning... Fergus, on the other hand, is a wizard with the instrument.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Tony

Post by Tony »

Raindog,
it started with this link:
http://www.leoagosselin.com/listen2.html
This guys music is awesome and he had a link back to the main page of the Chapman Stick:
http://www.stickenterprises.com/
There are about 20 musicians featured (linked) from the stick website. Nearly all of them are using the stick to make some really nice sounds.
Cees

Post by Cees »

Raindog...Image

You're the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's Christmas early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cees on 2002-09-27 01:15 ]</font>
Parkwood

Post by Parkwood »

Hi Cees,

Yes it's a GREAT version of the tune that was recorded for a series of 3 shows on Irtrad called 'River of Sound'. It featured every major Irish artist you could think of - Christy Moore, Donal Lunny, Mal Mercier, Cormac and countless others. It was presented by pianist Michael O'(Sullivan in Irish - can't spell it).

There is a CD by the same name with all the highlights, but not sure if it's still available.

By the way it's played on a Goldie Overton Alto F. Beautiful....

Barry
Parkwood

Post by Parkwood »

Cees!

Hope this is the one you're refering to. The one I have is with cello and harpsichord...!

Barry
Cees

Post by Cees »

Parkwood,
No, I haven't heard the version you are talking about. The one I wanted is Cormac playing a whistle (or it could possibly be a flute) accompanied by someone on a guitar--no other instruments. Just about the loveliest tune I have ever heard! (This version of it, anyway.)

Raindog,
Words cannot thank you enough!! I've said it many times before, and I will say it again...the people on this board are the nicest, coolest, best people around. So willing to help others out, even when they don't know them. Thank you so much! You have made my day!

PS Hey, does anyone know what key this version is played in? I guess I could go down to my piano and figure it out. I do know I don't have any whistles in this key..(I've got D, C, and Bb whistles.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cees on 2002-09-27 10:46 ]</font>
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Stick, you want stick? Tony Levin, particularly his stuff with King Crimson. Tony has played with everyone: From John Lennon to Peter Gabriel. He even played in front of JFK at the ripe old age of 15 years old....er, but not with a stick of course.

Tony's primarily a bass player, so if you want to hear the more unusual type Chapman Stick stuff, you have to look to his King Crimson or Solo stuff.

Now Bruce Cockburn, one of his songs often comes to mind while spending time here on the message board: "If I had a Rocket Launcher....." I better not finish that line....

Loren