Bamboo vs. PVC ... Miller vs. Tipple

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
johnmcochran
antispam: No

Bamboo vs. PVC ... Miller vs. Tipple

Post by johnmcochran »

Hi, all. After getting hooked on the tinwhistle, I'm going to give the flute a try. Until I know if it's something I want to stick with, I can't justify spending much ... and I'm weighing two flutes, both of which have gotten great reviews here and elsewhere. One is a bamboo flute by Billy Miller ... The other is a PVC flute by Doug Tipple. They seem to be similarly priced, just under $100, which is where I want to stay on my first time out.

For a beginner ... looking for an inexpensive flute with a tone good enough to give me some positive reinforcement ... which should I choose? Bamboo or PVC? Miller or Tipple?

Thanks!

John C.
Washington, D.C.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Something tells me you might enjoy a Cochran by Jon C.

:)

Damn good flutes hes making now too. Bit more than 100 bucks at the moment.

Doug's flute are good bang for the buck and are practically indestructible and tunable and the 3 piece will give you the ability to angle the tone holes to your hands. Hole spacing is a bit of a stretch. Its a good work out. :D

With its large bore, a lip plate and a wedge it will get you close to what an Irish flute is like... while not actually being an Irish flute.

Its a good trainer. You will grow out of it if you are serious with your playing but it will last you a good while.

Now... I have played the Miller flutes and I quite enjoyed it.

Once again, its not a "Irish Flute" but the ones I played were quite lovely.

I think they were and E and and an F.

Can't tell you about the D as I've not see one.

Both will give you decent tone... as well as you'll get and notice for just starting out.

One thing is that Doug is working with precise materials and you'll get the benefit of that consistency. The workmanship that he puts into that plastic tube is remarkable.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I second Aanvil in that John Cochran (Washington, D.C.) ought to have a flute by Jon Cochran (Los Angeles, CA). While Jon to my knowledge is not making a flute in this price range, maybe he has something used that would be appropriate to begin with. Here is Jon's contact info:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/profile.php?m ... file&u=522
Akiba
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

I'd go for the Miller bamboo. Doug's flutes are great, I just prefer the woody bamboo sound of Miller's flutes and enjoyed as a first flute myself.
Lyn D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lyn D »

I don't have a Miller flute, but I do have a Tipple....3-piece, 6 hole, low D, with the lip plate, wedge, and off-sett finger holes. I cannot get over the deep rich sound that comes out of this flute! I just love it! You would not be disappointed!

The other thing I love is that you don't have to worry too much about pvc. :lol:
Last edited by Lyn D on Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerardo1000

Post by gerardo1000 »

I also have a Tipple flute, 3 pieces, lip plate and wedge, offset finger holes.
I think it is a terrific instrument for the price. Never had a Miller flute, but I am sure that Doc from The Irish Flute Store will be glad to give you his opinion on these flutes (he has them in stock).
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Get a Tipple flute, you can't go wrong. It's tunable (unlike the bamboos), and it's adjustable--has the split between hands so the tubes can be rotated--(also unlike the bamboo flutes), so you are more likely to succeed having the ability to tune and adjust, and probably will be happier overall. It sounds great too.

Bamboos are nice once you can play a little to have one around just for the tone. Still they are not tunable, except for your embouchure and lip adjustments (or rolling in and out of the flute), and you have enough to worry about just getting a good tone, and learning to hold the flute when you are just starting out.

If your hands are medium sized to large, get the D Tipple. If they are small, get a higher key. Talk to Doug, he can help!

Barry

Edit: Psst, hey, the guy down below (braccio) has a Tipple D 8 hole for sale, with the wedge for $60! The only option missing is the lip plate, and that's not essential.
deisman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

Hi John,

Welcome to the wild & wacky world of fluting forums... Check out this video to see how far you can go with a Tipple...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFk1eqMvXiM

I've been playing mine for 18 months - I'm nowhere near this good, but the sound of a Tipple is excellent IMO. Sounds much better in person than the video audio. IMO it's tough to adjust to the R3 finger reach on a Tipple - took me months of trying but finally got some proficiency. I have medium size hands.

If you plan on playing with others in a session I'd recommend a flute with a tuning slide, which brings you back to a Tipple.

Best,

Deisman
I'm on it...
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

I also have a Tipple flute, 3 pieces, without wedge nor lip-plate, and with in-line holes.
I can tell you that it's, indeed, a very nice instrument, and it's not that difficult to reach the holes. I'm 6' (1,80 m), with average hands size, and I have no problem playing it (with piper's grip in my right hand).

As a first instrument I think it's perfect.

Good luck with your choice!

Martin
mjb128wv

Post by mjb128wv »

I've got 3 Billy Miller bamboo flutes (an F, D and a big low A) and I can tell you that he is meticulous about tuning and his flutes have a great organic feel and sound.
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

First thing to think of is, do you want a tunable flute? If so, then you want the tipple.

I own a Miller bamboo flute and it is a pleasure. It looks cool, smells nice and has a breathy, reedy tone. I don't use it much when playing with other musicians since it is not tunable.