Maybe I'm just turning into an old softie...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
ketida
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Maybe I'm just turning into an old softie...

Post by ketida »

but I had tears running down my face before this was even half through.

http://www.freehugscampaign.org/
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
djm

Post by djm »

Where's Heidi Klum when I need her?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Wow. Very cool. :D
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

That's beautiful!

It's kind of like the Bacharach-David song, "What the world needs now is love sweet love." And it really does.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

djm wrote:Where's Heidi Klum when I need her?

djm
No need to thank me... but you might want to.

:twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4x1ORED5uY
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
djm

Post by djm »

Gosh, all I wanted was a hug. :o

djm
ketida

Post by ketida »

Yes, well, um, the whole point of the video is that a hug is a benign way to show compassion, and not lust, so I would have to say thanks, but no thanks, Aanvil. Jeesh.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

He should get a "Free Hugs" T-shirt. The sign seems to get in the way.

Nice campaign though. The world could use more hugs.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Time for an opposing opinion. I don't like being hugged. I especially don't like being hugged by strangers. I tolerate it when a friend has a compulsion to hug me. The only person I have hugged regularly is my 8 year old granddaughter. Now, I know that there are some out there who would label me cold or introverted or unfeeling or just sad because I don't want to be hugged. But then most people who think that one particular act, be it hugging or trancendental meditation, can save the world, fix the ozone hole and get the troops out of Iraq often do not have the sensitivity to see that others don't see things their way.

I have no problem with other people hugging each other, after all, some of my best friends are huggers. :)
Mike
djm

Post by djm »

If someone hugs me when I have a woody, does that make them a tree-hugger? :boggle:

djm
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Charges of abysmal taste aside, you are surely guilty of ludicrously false advertising, I'll warrant. Watch it. :poke:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

Ba humhug! There are those who while appreciating the wonderfullness of hugs prefer to get them only from known friends and family. Plus with my height hugs from shorter folks can be....problematic. I try to keep the lint out of my belly button just to be safe.
ketida

Post by ketida »

burnsbyrne wrote:Time for an opposing opinion. I don't like being hugged. I especially don't like being hugged by strangers. I tolerate it when a friend has a compulsion to hug me. The only person I have hugged regularly is my 8 year old granddaughter. Now, I know that there are some out there who would label me cold or introverted or unfeeling or just sad because I don't want to be hugged. But then most people who think that one particular act, be it hugging or trancendental meditation, can save the world, fix the ozone hole and get the troops out of Iraq often do not have the sensitivity to see that others don't see things their way.

I have no problem with other people hugging each other, after all, some of my best friends are huggers. :)
Mike
Actually, your opinion is not at all opposite of mine. I would not be comfortable hugging a total stranger, and I would most likely have walked past the guy in the video. Nor am I naive enough to believe that hugs can save the world, etc. However, I don't think that such a positive display of good will could hurt the world's problems, and I'm very glad there are people like him. I also thought it was a touching story about challenging the system that tried to "outlaw" the free hugs, and winning.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

ketida wrote:
burnsbyrne wrote:Time for an opposing opinion. I don't like being hugged. I especially don't like being hugged by strangers. I tolerate it when a friend has a compulsion to hug me. The only person I have hugged regularly is my 8 year old granddaughter. Now, I know that there are some out there who would label me cold or introverted or unfeeling or just sad because I don't want to be hugged. But then most people who think that one particular act, be it hugging or trancendental meditation, can save the world, fix the ozone hole and get the troops out of Iraq often do not have the sensitivity to see that others don't see things their way.

Mike
Actually, your opinion is not at all opposite of mine. I would not be comfortable hugging a total stranger, and I would most likely have walked past the guy in the video. Nor am I naive enough to believe that hugs can save the world, etc. However, I don't think that such a positive display of good will could hurt the world's problems, and I'm very glad there are people like him. I also thought it was a touching story about challenging the system that tried to "outlaw" the free hugs, and winning.
I guess it's a pet peeve. Hugs at the right time are good.
Mike