The "Tuneable Tweak"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What do you use to lubricate your fipple?

beeswax
6%
vaseline/grease
13%
butter
No votes
other
81%

Total votes: 16

mcurtiss
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

The "Tuneable Tweak"

Post by mcurtiss »

When making a whistle tunable, what do people use to lubricate the fipple? (homina homina)

My first tweak was with a teflon based wax stick that is sold at the local hardware store to stop squeaking. That worked ok, but it was a little sticky.

I then found some beeswax. but again, a little sticky.

Now I've seen some recommendations to use either woodwind cork grease or vaseline. I'm kind of thinking that would make it too slippery.

I've made it a poll, just to see what people use.
TheSpoonMan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TheSpoonMan »

saliva, or nothing

I've considered vaseline tho
bill

Post by bill »

I use burts bees lip balm, the kind that comes in the little round tin. It's somewhat greasy and smells good.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I got a chapstick-sized tube of joint grease from Susato when I bought a non-tunable whistle (why? your guess is as good as mine) from them five years ago or so. That thing will probably last me a lifetime. It smells minty and has a waxy consistency. Sounds like our man above has the right idea with his Burt's Bees ;)
West

Post by West »

I use nothing. The fipples of the few whistles I've tweaked can be adjusted quite easily anyway so I've never had a need for lubricant. I don't tune them often, I might add. Only before recording sessions.
Trying is the first step towards failure -- Homer Simpson
mcurtiss
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

bill wrote:I use burts bees lip balm, the kind that comes in the little round tin. It's somewhat greasy and smells good.
that's actually a really good idea. i may try that instead of straight beeswax
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

I use TefGel.

Owen
mcurtiss

Post by mcurtiss »

i used to play the trombone and i would think that slide grease would work well. some sites say to use this exclusively as vaseline will corrode the metal
MTGuru

Re: The "Tuneable Tweak"

Post by MTGuru »

mcurtiss wrote:When making a whistle tunable, what do people use to lubricate the fipple? (homina homina)
Yes, you mean the mouthpiece or head, not the fipple.

I love the smell of Susato-type mint cork grease. One whiff and I'm back in 4th grade band class. Works fine, too. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Whiddler
Tell us something.: I'm really a fiddler but in Jan. '24 I finally gave a proper effort to learning to play the Tipple flute I've had lying around since '08, and now I can't stop. It's all because I had an epiphany that the flute can be played without having to get out of bed.

Post by Whiddler »

At the moment my mouthpiece is running on the stickiness that came off scotch tape, which is working pretty well (by accident). I had wrapped tape around the top of the tube to make it wider so that the mouthpiece, which had gotten too loose from being slid up and down so many times, would fit tighter (just an experiment). Then it got wet and the tape came out, but the stickiness stayed.
Last edited by Whiddler on Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomk

Post by tomk »

when I am certain I am finished tweeking my wistle , that is to say it is sill playable , but close to the edge of non playability , I use ,,,,,,,,, zog wax . :boggle:
BrianWhitters

recently bought a tuneable chieftain low

Post by BrianWhitters »

excuse my ignorance, but how do I tune my brand spanking new chieftain low d
straycat82

Re: recently bought a tuneable chieftain low

Post by straycat82 »

BrianWhitters wrote:excuse my ignorance, but how do I tune my brand spanking new chieftain low d
It can only be tuned if it has a tuning slide.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Hair-gell... :lol:

For my Burke C, I use Susato's tuning joint grease. Comes in a chap-stick like application. Works like a charm. (hope that's not a problem Mike)

For my Generations and Feadog's, they're friction fit, (well after you remove the glue [or some of it whatever your case may call for] from the Gen's anyway) so that's that.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
mcurtiss

Post by mcurtiss »

mcurtiss wrote:
bill wrote:I use burts bees lip balm, the kind that comes in the little round tin. It's somewhat greasy and smells good.
that's actually a really good idea. i may try that instead of straight beeswax
i used this last night and it might be too slippery. The mouthpiece didn't fit quite as snug using this as opposed to the pure beeswax.