Oak Whistles made in US or Ireland?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The Round Tree
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Oak Whistles made in US or Ireland?

Post by The Round Tree »

I have always believed Oaks & Acorns were made in the US. One of my Irish flute teachers recommended it, but told me I would have to wait until I got back to the US as they were hard to find in Ireland. John at Custy's also told me the same thing. Ciff and Fipple and Ceolas list them as made in the US.
Now, I am being to by someone who has some on eBay they are made in Ireland and imported to the US by Music Sales. I knew Music Sales was a ditributor, but not that they imported them. Anyone out there tell me positively where they are made.
Cheers:)
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The packaging says 'made in Ireland'.

I think Feadog is turning them out for whoever owns Oak.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Oak and Acorn are Music Sales Corporation's products.

I believe they may have been made in the United States for a period of time and then went over to Feadog. They're not Feadog products being distrubuted by Music Sales; as Peter indicated, they're Music Sales products being manufactured to specification by the people who make Feadogs.

This is my understanding, and I believe it's correct, but it isn't authoritative.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

If I recall well, Patrick Sky started oak and started making them in Ennis when he was living here for a while during the seventies/eighties. He went back to the States and sold out. The whistle was then made in the US for a long time.

I think he actually described the whole thing on one of the forums some time ago.
The Round Tree
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Oak Whistles made in the US or Ireland

Post by The Round Tree »

Thanks for the info, explains why they are hard to find in Ireland. It is surprising that they are that different from Feadog, that they are recommened over the Feadog. But, there is a difference in the older Feadogs, the design of the fipple. I like my old one better than my new one.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I bought both of mine in Custy's by the way. They do have them sometimes. Was in there yesterday but didn't see them but wasn't looking for them either.

Oaks are the same as any whistle, some are very nice some not so much. They vary, all whistles do.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Peter Laban wrote:If I recall well, Patrick Sky started oak and started making them in Ennis when he was living here for a while during the seventies/eighties. He went back to the States and sold out. The whistle was then made in the US for a long time.

I think he actually described the whole thing on one of the forums some time ago.
Hi, Peter.

Is this the thread?
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=28046

If so, then it would have been Clare whistles that Patrick Sky started.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Right, now the memory's going as well.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Peter Laban wrote:Right, now the memory's going as well.
Well, thanks for the accidental misdirection in any case. It led to a bit of whistle lore I hadn't been aware of.

Best wishes,
Jerry