HELP BUYING A NEW CHANTER AND BELLOWS BAG

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
piperwanabe

HELP BUYING A NEW CHANTER AND BELLOWS BAG

Post by piperwanabe »

Hello could someone please tell me where I can buy a good quality bellows bag with chanter. Like what brands should I be looking at and where do I buy.

So much crap on ebay..

But I want it to sound like the real thing,, think Brave Heart.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Mentioning Braveheart is a good way to make sure some of people won't even answer you, but your question about brands suggests you have a bit of reading/research in front of you. There are no commercial "brands" per sé. UPs are made by hand by artisans/craftsmen, one at a time. This means a fairly lenghty waiting period for best quality stuff from the best name makers. Read the FAQs. Also take a look at some of the many threads here.

Best is to find a pipemaker near to you. See the list of current makers at the NPU web site. Next best is to find some pipers near to you who can help guide you in your purchase. Also, keep an eye out for sessions and tionóli near to you so you can go and see/hear as many different sets as possible and ask lots of questions.

eBay may be full of junk, but it gives you an idea of the current price ranges. Don't forget to check the For Sale ads at uilleanforum.com and at uilleanobsession.com, as well as at NPU (pipers.ie).

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
piperwanabe

??

Post by piperwanabe »

So what's up with Brave Heart then ??
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

It's Braveheart, one word. And playing devil's advocate ... Braveheart is an American-made commercial Hollywood movie about Scotland, with a composed art music score by American composer James Horner, and written-out uilleann pipes parts played by Los Angeles-based American musician Eric Rigler.

Now ask: With respect to genuine Irish traditional folk music and the traditions of uilleann piping, what part of the above description is "the real thing"?

And no disrespect to Eric, who by all accounts is a fine musician. Just framing the question for an "Aha!" moment of beginner's insight into the issue djm alludes to. :-)

It's hard to deny, though, that film scores are often the gateway to interest in "Celtic music" for many.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
piperwanabe

ok

Post by piperwanabe »

I see no disrespect intended.
waymer

Post by waymer »

film scores are often the gateway to interest in "Celtic music" for many.
For me it was Darby O'Gill and the little people :D
Jamie
Live every day as if it were your last, for one day you are sure to be right.
djm

Post by djm »

:lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Tír na nÓg!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Darby O'Gill, Braveheart, you mean these aren't historically accurate movies?

Next you'll be telling me that the Quiet Man wasn't representative of Rural Ireland in the 1930s!

Impetuous!
Homeric!
PJ
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Seriously, as pointed out above, buying pipes isn't like buying a guitar. There's a small number of instrument makers around the world who make uilleann pipes on a professional basis. The better the reputation of the maker, the more expensive the instrument will be and the longer the waiting time (some makers have waiting lists that are 12 years long).

If you are starting out, you want a practice set made by a reputable maker. Here'sa list of pipemakers that na Piobairi Uilleann (the Uilleann pipers' organisation, based in Dublin) provides. Not all of the great makers are on this list and not every name on this list is a great maker (some may no longer be operating) but IMHO it's a good list to start from.

Some people will recommend that you choose a pipemaker who is within a reasonable distance of where you live, so that you can go to him if you have problems with your pipes. Others will recommend that you should seek out the best maker, regardless of where he is. In the end, it's your decision.

Be prepared for a shock when you ask how much. In terms of practice sets, there's very little available under $1,000 (with the exception of Pat Sky's budget practice sets and David Daye's penny chanter sets). Between $1,000 and $2,000 you'll have a good choice of practice sets.

If you're thinking of buying pre-owned pipes, keep an eye on this forum and on http://www.uilleannobsession.com/classifieds.html

Avoid buying pipes on eBay - it's a trap for the unsuspecting, uninformed buyer. You'll end up spending hundreds of dollars on junk that will never sound good and you'll not be able to sell it.
PJ