Corigliano's Pied Piper

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Corigliano's Pied Piper

Post by MTGuru »

I've been listening to John Corigliano's Pied Piper Fantasy for flute and orchestra, and just wonder if anyone else here is familiar with the piece. It was commisioned by James Galway in 1978-80.

The novelty is that in the last movement, The Children's March, the solo instrument switches from concert flute to D whistle (with Sir James in mind), and it's quite odd. The dominating key is A Mixolydian, and the whistle part is written mostly up into the 3rd register to high A. Both technically challenging, and not suited to many whistles (or players!).
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
WARD1066

Post by WARD1066 »

Do you know is there a youtube link to it or anything, or is it only on CD - (any particular album?)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

No, sorry, no links. My recording is James Galway with the Eastman Philharmonia, on RCA (1987). Unfortunately, I believe this recording is now out of print.

The piece was performed last May by the San Diego Symphony, with principal flutist Demarre McGill on the solo part. And a friend of mine who plays with the Symphony now reports back that Mr. McGill borrowed her Copeland brass D for the job, and was able to work out the necessary 3rd octave fingerings for good intonation. A bit of experimentation with my own nickel Copeland confirms that it's probably up to the task. :-)

WARD1066

Post by WARD1066 »

Hi MT,
I dont suppose there is any way of telling from the sound what whistle is being played up into the 3rd octave in that tune?

(I know ive seen James Galway with an Abell whistle in some recent lord of the rings type clips, but were Abells around back in the 80's?)
BoneQuint
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BoneQuint »

Here's a recording you can get from eMusic, I site I use and recommend, especially for old-time, old blues, classical and traditional music of all sorts. The usual disclaimer: I'm in no way affiliated with them or profit from their activities.

http://www.emusic.com/album/Alexa-Still ... 42391.html
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

BoneQuint wrote:Here's a recording you can get from eMusic
Thanks, Jeff! That eMusic excerpt of The Children's March gives a pretty good idea of the stratospheric whistle part. :-)
WARD1066 wrote:I dont suppose there is any way of telling from the sound what whistle is being played up into the 3rd octave in that tune?
No, there's nothing in the liner notes, and whistle isn't even credited on the album! ("James Galway, Flute"). It could be a Chris Abell. Galway does play one, and Chris has been making them since 1985. See the C&F interview here: http://www.chiffandfipple.com/chrisabell.html