New Pipersgrip review: Alba Vibe Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
medit8b1
antispam: No

New Pipersgrip review: Alba Vibe Low D

Post by medit8b1 »

Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com
MusicalADD
antispam: No

Post by MusicalADD »

I think that pretty well sums up my feelings about my Alba low D vibe.

Except that, first, you mentioned that you didn't have any "major" clogging problems; I don't think my Alba has EVER had the slightest hint of clogging (and I don't even warm it up before playing). I think I'd have to drool molasses before the Alba would even think about clogging.

And second, you mentioned moderate to low air requirements... granted, I haven't played all that many low whistles, but, my Alba feels to me like it has a high air requirement. My Burke composite Low D "EZ" seems to take a little less air than the Alba, and my Howard Low D takes a lot less air.

So now I'm wondering: could my Alba have a wider windway than the one you reviewed? I guess that might explain our different impressions of air requirements and clogging.
Howie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Howie »

Thanks for the review. I own an Alba D Vibe and I agree completely with your assessment. I asked about chiff on Stacy’s forum but nobody responded. I have always found the whistle to be a bit breath sounding, especially on the low d and e notes, but as you say, some whistles seem to be that way on purpose. I don’t really understand why. Overall though, I am happy with the my whistle.

Do most low whistles tend to be breath sounding? It seems to me it could be a common characteristic as it takes more air to play them. This is the only low whistle I have played so far.

Howie