copyright / permissions question

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
flutey1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

copyright / permissions question

Post by flutey1 »

Hi all,
I'm currently working on a multimedia website to serve as a guide to the history and development of Scottish music, as well as its current status (mentioned in an earlier thread). I would like to include clips of music to make it more interesting and illustrate various things. This is an entirely non-profit and academic endeavor. That said, can I use short clips from published recordings without getting express permission of the artist as long as I cite properly? Are there express rules governing this? I'd love to have permission from everyone, but some people don't answer email, or provide contact info, etc.

If you have any experience with these issues please let me know. Thanks!

Sara
lesl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

Hi Sara,

I don't really know the answer, but have a bit of experience with the subject - for the books I do, getting permission or at least documenting any attempts is something I think is important as well as respectful. I looked at the Library of Congress site and saw some information about using material of theirs, they mentioned documenting attempts at contact for the hard to determine material (like if you aren't sure the composer is alive, etc.)

It's also an interesting journey to find contact information and hear from these wonderful people who you'd never otherwise "meet". All the folks I have contacted appreciate being thought of.

Also there's something to look at which I've seen called "fair use" which might apply to your situation, try googling that.

Likely other chiffers will have more specific understanding of this stuff than I do but.. I saw your post first :lol:

Good luck!

Lesl
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: copyright / permissions question

Post by s1m0n »

US Copyright office factsheet on "Fair Use"

Fair Use entry on Wikipedia

I'd start with these sites. From where I stand, it seems likely that you're on solid ground, but you'll have to make your own investigation.

In many jurisdictions, before damages can be sought, a rightsholder has to send you a take down notice. If you take it down promptly, made it easy for anyone to contact you, and weren't offering it for sale or trade in the first place, rights holders will have difficulty suing for damages.

This is even more true if what you're doing is citing sections or portions of a whole work for critical or informative purposes.

But don't take my word; do the research yourself.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
djm

Post by djm »

If the music you cite is traditional, and you publish/post a recording of you playing the music yourself, there are no copyright issues. <hint><hint>

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

You must get permission to use them. It's not difficult, and most performers/writers are willing to consider your questions. Make the effort.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
lesl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

anniemcu wrote:...It's not difficult, and most performers/writers are willing to consider your questions. Make the effort.
I would start with looking up the bios of the people you need to find. Sort of study up about them, so you know who you are going to speak to. That actually helps. Try asking their record company, or someone who knows them, for contact info, or on a Scottish music board (for someone to send you the info off list). I would begin with something like your first 3 sentences of explanation that you put here.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

anniemcu wrote:You must get permission to use them. It's not difficult, and most performers/writers are willing to consider your questions. Make the effort.
If you are confident that the use you intend constitutes 'fair use', you're not required to obtain permission, although it's polite. Fair use is an absolute defense against being sued for infringing copyright; it marks ground where copyright doesn't apply.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

Thanks for the replies! I will try to get permission when possible (I was planning on doing that anyways). I've already tried contacting some people and just never heard back. I do think this falls under the category of fair use, and of course, if any performer sees the site and objects to their music being on it, I will happily remove that. The purpose of the site is to promote understanding of the music, not exploit it.

Sara
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

flutey1 wrote:Thanks for the replies! I will try to get permission when possible (I was planning on doing that anyways). I've already tried contacting some people and just never heard back. I do think this falls under the category of fair use, and of course, if any performer sees the site and objects to their music being on it, I will happily remove that. The purpose of the site is to promote understanding of the music, not exploit it.

Sara
That doesn't always hold up though, especially if any of the protection racket groups are involved. They don't tend to believe in 'fair use', and they are usually the winners in any disputes.

Good luck with it. It sounds like a very worthy effort!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Dameon

Post by Dameon »

Really, you shouldn't put up any music without getting the permission of the musician first. It's not just a matter of being on solid legal ground, it's just good manners.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Dameon wrote:Really, you shouldn't put up any music without getting the permission of the musician first. It's not just a matter of being on solid legal ground, it's just good manners.
True as far as it goes, but you should note that the musician is only rarely the copyright holder.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Dameon

Post by Dameon »

The musician might not have the NOTES copyrighted, but a musician always holds copyright over his/her recording.
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

from Aaron Jones of Old Blind Dogs: "we're more than happy to let you use non-downloadable sound clips but I think it would be a good idea for you to contact Compass Records just to check. Anything that appeared on a Green Linnet release (Fit?, World's Room, Gab O Mey, Play Live!) or Four on the Floor - they technically own the rights to...I know it's crazy that we don't own our own music!. I'm sure if you explain it's non-for-profit, educational and that the band is cool with you using it then I'm sure they'll be cool with that."

so they don't always own the copyright. sounds like it depends on the contract with the record label if they have one. I'm waiting to hear back from Compass Records.

Sara
Dameon

Post by Dameon »

I should have been more specific, I guess. A musician always holds the copyright on their recording, unless they sign it away.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Dameon wrote:I should have been more specific, I guess. A musician always holds the copyright on their recording, unless they sign it away.
Which, unfortunately, happens quite frequently.

It is very difficult to contract with a record label while retaining the rights to your own work.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard