Your personal cure for hiccups

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Your personal cure for hiccups

Post by susnfx »

Okay, I have the hiccups. In the past I've always cured them by drinking water backwards (you know, leaning over a cup of water and drinking it from the far side of the rim). I've also heard swallowing a tablespoon of sugar will cure them. Or a sudden shock. I was driving with my daughter one day when she had the hiccups. At a stop light I suddenly yelled "AHHHHH" at her. It worked. She no longer had the hiccups.

Any other suggestions?

Susan
MagicSailor

Re: Your personal cure for hiccups

Post by MagicSailor »

susnfx wrote:Okay, I have the hiccups. In the past I've always cured them by drinking water backwards (you know, leaning over a cup of water and drinking it from the far side of the rim). I've also heard swallowing a tablespoon of sugar will cure them. Or a sudden shock. I was driving with my daughter one day when she had the hiccups. At a stop light I suddenly yelled "AHHHHH" at her. It worked. She no longer had the hiccups.

Any other suggestions?

Susan
Multiply two two-digit numbers in your head.

Owen
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Place a wooden pencil across your lips (from side to side - eraser end will be near the rear corner of your mouth on one side, any point will be at the rear corner of the other side of your mouth). Must be a pencil, pens etc. do not work.

While holding the pencil across your mouth as above, slowly drink some water from a cup.

Kevin Krell
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

MagicSailor wrote:Multiply two two-digit numbers in your head.
10x10?
kkrell wrote:Place a wooden pencil across your lips (from side to side - eraser end will be near the rear corner of your mouth on one side, any point will be at the rear corner of the other side of your mouth). Must be a pencil, pens etc. do not work.

While holding the pencil across your mouth as above, slowly drink some water from a cup.
The "rear corner"??? I wasn't aware my mouth had corners, let alone front and rear.

I ate a small bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds cereal. The hiccups are gone. I recommend this. It's tastier than a pencil.

Susan
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

susnfx wrote: 10x10?
Most people ... ... might need a slightly bigger challenge than that...

YMMV

Owen
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Well ...

A long time ago, I learned a little bit of the traditional east Indian health system, Ayurveda. According to Ayurveda, there are three "doshas" or humors; i.e. Vata, Pitta and Kapha (roughly, wind, bile and phlem).

Hiccups are said to be due to aggravation of Vata. Things that pacify Vata include warmth, moisture, etc.

So, many years ago when I had the hiccups, I thought, "let's see if I can do something to pacify Vata, and maybe that will stop these hiccups."

So I took a hot bath. The hiccups went way in a few short minutes. Whenever I've gotten the hiccups since, I've been able to stop them at any time by getting into a tub of hot bath water.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV

Post by Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV »

I hold my breath for about three hiccops' worth of time while I do a relaxation meditation.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Belch. Most men can belch at will. (Ladies can, but seem unwilling to do so, for some reason.) If you have hiccoughs, you have excessive wind in the upper stomach. Belching will relieve that. You may need to do it a few times.

I read somewhere that Hiccoughs are an infantile response to stomach over-stimulation, and that sucking stops it. So the medical answer to the question "How do you cure hiccoughs?"

is

"YOU SUCK!"
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV wrote:I hold my breath for about three hiccops' worth of time while I do a relaxation meditation.
Me too only without the meditation.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Unseen122 wrote:
Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV wrote:I hold my breath for about three hiccops' worth of time while I do a relaxation meditation.
Almost always works for me too.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I've always wondered how much of it is mental, because most of the cures seem to be about getting your mind on something else. I don't know, but it's interesting.

My cure: Get busy doing something interesting and wait for them to go away. It's an effective cure for many ills: Boredom, post-nap drugged feeling, foot cramps, my wife's cat...

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
dwest

Post by dwest »

brewerpaul wrote:
Unseen122 wrote:
Almost always works for me too.
Yeap, same here except sometimes I exhale first.
djm

Post by djm »

I don't get hiccoughs.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Mostly we use the sugar trick, but when I'm not near sugar, I've found that strong diaphragm breathing (i.e., contracting the diaphragm firmly...the kind of thing singers do when they really need to support a note)...doing it right through the hiccup, rather than just letting the diaphragm do what it will...will typically stop them within one or two hiccups.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Running full on into a brick wall. Failing that, a tall glass of water. Sometimes both, at staggered intervals does nicely. :D