Which key to buy after D?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CelticHarpie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Which key to buy after D?

Post by CelticHarpie »

Question for all from a relative newbie: what would you recommend as the most important keys to have after D? What whistle (or whistles) do you use most outside of old faithful?
ahogrelius
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Re: Which key to buy after D?

Post by ahogrelius »

CelticHarpie wrote:Question for all from a relative newbie: what would you recommend as the most important keys to have after D? What whistle (or whistles) do you use most outside of old faithful?
Definitely a C whistle. With a C and a D whistle you will be able to play just about anything that is likelly to be played at a session! :)

Slán,
Anders
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

It really depends on who you play with. I rarely use other keyed whistles at sessions unless there is a singer and the singer I usually play with sings a lot of stuff in F and Bb so I tend to use my Low F a lot.

A C whistle is a good choice for a different key though it is not too different from a D, but gives you a more mellow sound. Eb is also a good choice as there a lot of recordings on Eb Flutes and Whistles plus you never know when you could find yourself in an Eb session, but I have never actually seen or been to one. A friend of mine says he plays at one in Co. Tyrone, but I have never been.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Depends on what you're using it for...a C whistle will come in handy at sessions from time to time (it's the "Julia Delaney whistle"), but if you're playing on your own, it's up to what sound you like. I think Bb whistles are particularly nice--they still have some high whistle mojo, but they're significantly mellower than a D whistle.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Don't forget Eb, my favorite whistle is in Eb, it really flows and sounds cheerfull. Many recordings are in Eb, too.

You know, it all comes down to this: you'll eventually buy them all, so why not order all keys at the same time and save time? :-)
Adrian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Adrian »

Bb, C, Eb, in that order

I find C the most useful when playing with others. Bb is kind to the ears. The Eb has a wonderfully bright sound.

The good news is that the Generation Bb and Eb whistles are very low cost and usually sound great.
CelticHarpie

Post by CelticHarpie »

Thanks everyone for your input! I've just ordered a Bb (and have Eb & C on my horizon for next month).

After just purchasing one of Paul Busman's beautiful wooden whistles (a D in an Australian wood called Minniritchie), I have been bitten by the wooden whistle bug. Perhaps it's due to my harp tendencies?

You were right. I am going to end up with one in every key... oh, who am I kidding? It'll be more like 5 in every key.

Thanks, as always for your help!
MJ1619

Post by MJ1619 »

CelticHarpie,

First, thank you for posting this question. As a relative newbie myself, I have been wondering the same thing.

Second, I too have been "bitten" by the wooden whistle bug. I just purchased the Paul Busman D in Bendee that he made. I guess you could say that your whistle and my whistle are related (at least in a timber sense). I was considering the minniritchie as well, so I have to ask: one, is it as beautiful in person at it looked in the pictures, and, two, more importantly, how does it sound?

Michael
TravM63

Post by TravM63 »

Good to 'see' you again CelticHarpie!

I had been wondering this as well; I have 2 D's and a C.

My future plans (already) ... are a Gen Bb (which should 'play nicely' with Eb and F), G (maybe a Becker whistle? - although I noticed no one mentioned G...), and a Low D (I'm thinking maybe a Tipple flute here - had concidered the Dixon Duo, but from mostly poor reviews have reconcidered that one).

Another thing besides key is how the character/sound of the whistles change with the keys. My ears really like the low D's... :)

My favorite key to play in on piano is Eb.... so maybe I'll pickup one of those as well (or just hit the xpose key on my synth...)

From what I've read here, and listened to on YouTube - I like the sound of these the Gen and Tipple. Both are well thought of here. Still not sure if I want a low D whistle AND a flute...?

But, like you said, get one (or more) of each , that way you'll be ready for anything :party:
Whistle NOOB 6/21/08
Flute NOOB 3/17/10
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

Don't forget about an A. You can play tunes in D that go below the bottom D note.
Angelo
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.
CelticHarpie

Post by CelticHarpie »

MJ1619 wrote:Second, I too have been "bitten" by the wooden whistle bug. I just purchased the Paul Busman D in Bendee that he made. I guess you could say that your whistle and my whistle are related (at least in a timber sense). I was considering the minniritchie as well, so I have to ask: one, is it as beautiful in person at it looked in the pictures, and, two, more importantly, how does it sound?

Michael
It's beautiful, both in sound and wood. I just got it on Monday and haven't had the chance to play much (plus there's the dreaded breaking in phase). I am looking forward to it being broken in enough to play for longer periods of time.

I do love the quality of the tone. As I'm relatively new to serious playing (but a woodwind player from way back), I'm enjoying how it responds to cuts and slides (the only ornamentation I'm fairly competent on at the moment). I think I read a review that said the sound of the whistle "screams Eire" and I have to agree with that particular assessment!

So my whistle collection is now:

Feadog in D
Burke Brass Session in D
Busman Minniritchie in D
Reyburn Wide-Bore Low D

and a Thin Weasel in Cocobolo in Bb (on its way to me as we speak).

I just realized that when the newest whistle arrives, I will have surpassed my harp collection in number!
TravM63 wrote:My future plans (already) ... are a Gen Bb (which should 'play nicely' with Eb and F), G (maybe a Becker whistle? - although I noticed no one mentioned G...), and a Low D (I'm thinking maybe a Tipple flute here - had concidered the Dixon Duo, but from mostly poor reviews have reconcidered that one).
Collecting is fun, innit?
CelticHarpie

Post by CelticHarpie »

Alright, I received my Bb Thin Weasel on Saturday and have been getting acquainted.

Adrian, you were correct. The Bb is very mellow. It's taking a bit of time to get used to the sound (and to the difference in air requirements), but I'm enjoying it.

Of course now I'm thinking about an Eb and a C.

Dangerous, this whistle business. Dangerous indeed.
West

Post by West »

A lot of people seem to really like Bb whistles... I definitely need to get myself one.
Trying is the first step towards failure -- Homer Simpson
synergy

Post by synergy »

West wrote:A lot of people seem to really like Bb whistles... I definitely need to get myself one.
+1 here too.
TravM63

Post by TravM63 »

MJ1619 wrote:.... I guess you could say that your whistle and my whistle are related (at least in a timber sense)..."
I read that again - and thought it struck a 'funny 'cord'' - related in timber ... and timbre? :party:

I wooden know...
:lol:
Last edited by TravM63 on Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Whistle NOOB 6/21/08
Flute NOOB 3/17/10