Introducing..... Baggy

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Baggy

Introducing..... Baggy

Post by Baggy »

Hiya

Well I have got to 50 years old without learning an instrument :sniffle:

So after browsing the web and talking to a friend the decision has been made and a Clarke Sweetone has been ordered and is on it's way to me.

I thought that I would pop in here and ask for recommendations for a beginners book, I do not mind starting slowly and I do want to get the basics right.

I have a friend who plays whistle and whom I can lean on occaisionally (he is not geographically very close)

Any tip are welcome and of course I shall investigate here fully

Long term I would like to grow into a Low Whistle and play airs(spelling?)

baggy
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Bill Ochs' Tin Whistle Tutor, which is sometimes sold bundled with a Clark whistle & a CD is well regarded, and has taught a lot of people to play the whistle over the years.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
rance
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rance »

The Clarke Tin Whistle: Deluxe Edition (Book & CD) by Bill Ochs

That's the full title of the book that Simon mentioned. I second his statement and suggest that you get it with the CD. You can get it from Bill Ochs, but I think it's cheaper to buy it from Amazon.

Rance
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hi Baggy. Welcome to C&F, and the exciting world of whistles.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I'd recommend the Bill Ochs book as well. Is fairly small and short, but well written with the information presented simply and clearly.

I also have Grey Larsen's Irish Flute & Tin Whistle book (the big one). It's also very good, but very detailed (some thing too much so).

Welcome to the forums and whistling!

Jason
narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

Hi Baggy

Welcome to the madness :thumbsup: :D :D
Happiness is taking things as they are.
Baggy

Re: Introducing..... Baggy

Post by Baggy »

Thanks all for the welcome and the book recommendation.

Right... off to browse Chiff and Fipple
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

More than a book, I recommend some of the great learning spots online, like:

http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/

http://www.whistletutor.com/tutorials.htm

http://www.tradlessons.com/

Just to get you started.

Welcome to the madness!!

Don't forget to stop by the nurse's office and get your innocculation for WhOA disorder. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Baggy

Post by Baggy »

anniemcu wrote:More than a book, I recommend some of the great learning spots online, like:
http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/
http://www.whistletutor.com/tutorials.htm
http://www.tradlessons.com/

Just to get you started. Welcome to the madness!!

Don't forget to stop by the nurse's office and get your innocculation for WhOA disorder. :)
Oh Oh you are the second person to welcome me to "the madness"

thanks for the links
Dragonwhistler

Post by Dragonwhistler »

You can also take a look at Ryan Duns lessons on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Xf1Ume0zA
I think it's a great way to get you started. A learning book is a wonderfull thing, but I think it's easier to learn the very first basics if you can see someone doing it. The whistle isn't a difficult instrument to learn to play. I just got started about a week or 2 ago, never played an instrument before, and by now I'm allready able to play a few simple songs.
My main plan was also to learn a while on a small whistle and then move over to the low whistle. I like the sound of these much better. A high whistle is just... well high... :lol: This afternoon, I was at a friend and I saw a Low D whistle hanging at the wall. He told me the went to see a show called Riverdance a couple of months ago, and afterwarts he told his wife that he also wanted to learn a low whistle. His wife got him one as a present, but he never started learning it and just putted it on a shelf on the wall in his hobbyroom. I took the whistle to see if I could get some sound out of it, and I was surprised that it wasn't much harder then playing a small whistle. I could play it right away. My friend was impressed (although it didn't sound that good :P ) and suggested I should take the whistle home with me. He didn't had to say that twice offcourse, so now I'm the proud owner of a Chieftan Low D. To celebrate I started learning a more difficult tune that I've allways loved (Cooley's reel) and I'm really surprised that after prackticing for about an hour later this afternoon, I'm allready able to play it slowly.
So I think that if you like the Low whistle more then a high whistle, you can also start now with a low whistle. It's a little harder to play fast, but just playing isn't much harder once you get used at it.
Anyway, enjoy your whistle and reading here! There is a lot to read about if you go looking in some older topics!
Baggy

Post by Baggy »

Dragonwhistler wrote:You can also take a look at Ryan Duns lessons on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Xf1Ume0zA
I think it's a great way to get you started. A learning book is a wonderfull thing, but I think it's easier to learn the very first basics if you can see someone doing it.
Thank you, I do spend a lot of time out in the car and was planning to take the whistleand book with me. But I will try these online tutorials as well.
Dragonwhistler wrote:
The whistle isn't a difficult instrument to learn to play. I just got started about a week or 2 ago, never played an instrument before, and by now I'm allready able to play a few simple songs.
That is good to hear 8)
Dragonwhistler wrote: My main plan was also to learn a while on a small whistle and then move over to the low whistle. I like the sound of these much better. A high whistle is just... well high... :lol:
Exactly my plan, I love the sound of the low whistle.
Dragonwhistler wrote: This afternoon, I was at a friend and I saw a Low D whistle hanging at the wall. He told me the went to see a show called Riverdance a couple of months ago, and afterwarts he told his wife that he also wanted to learn a low whistle. His wife got him one as a present, but he never started learning it and just putted it on a shelf on the wall in his hobbyroom. I took the whistle to see if I could get some sound out of it, and I was surprised that it wasn't much harder then playing a small whistle. I could play it right away. My friend was impressed (although it didn't sound that good :P ) and suggested I should take the whistle home with me. He didn't had to say that twice offcourse, so now I'm the proud owner of a Chieftan Low D. To celebrate I started learning a more difficult tune that I've allways loved (Cooley's reel) and I'm really surprised that after prackticing for about an hour later this afternoon, I'm allready able to play it slowly.
The odd lucky break does make life fun :-)
Dragonwhistler wrote:
So I think that if you like the Low whistle more then a high whistle, you can also start now with a low whistle. It's a little harder to play fast, but just playing isn't much harder once you get used at it.
Anyway, enjoy your whistle and reading here! There is a lot to read about if you go looking in some older topics!

Cost is a factor hence starting with the Clarke, also I need some confidence that I can actually play something.

Mark
JordanII

Post by JordanII »

Hey, and welcome to the Chiff and Fipple! The whistle really is pretty easy to learn to play... when I got started about a year and a half ago the most difficult thing for me was blowing steady tones... once you master that though it's pretty easy. Of course I had already played piano for a few years before that so I knew about notes and tempo and stuff like that. But even learning the whistle without having any knowledge of music shouldn't be too hard. Just don't rush it and make sure you've mastered the basics before you try anything fancy. Oh, yeah, and don't be discouraged if your notes come out REALLY (and I mean REALLY) squeaky at first... everyone had to start there once.

Slàinte!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Wow. What took you so long to finally learn to play an instrument? Have you always wanted to play an instrument?

I spend a lot of time in my car too. Keep a whistle in your car. You will start loving traffic jams and road crews and drive-thru's. I'll even play a whistle pumping gas and if the gas pump isn't a hands free model, I'll play a harmonica.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Hey,
Age got nothing to do with it! We only feel our age in the morning and if you are going on strong to be 105 you've still got a lot to play. Welcome among us and keep on playing the little instrument! The best,
Ron
Baggy

Post by Baggy »

mutepointe wrote:Wow. What took you so long to finally learn to play an instrument?
Life got in the way, a short career in the forces, a family, running a business etc

mutepointe wrote: Have you always wanted to play an instrument?
I have always loved listening to music, I recently discovered Nigel Shaw's "River" and was blown away. http://www.seventhwavemusic.co.uk/home.html
Talking to a friend later he suggested that I could start for not much money with a whistle and maybe grow into a low whistle .
mutepointe wrote: I spend a lot of time in my car too. Keep a whistle in your car. You will start loving traffic jams and road crews and drive-thru's. I'll even play a whistle pumping gas and if the gas pump isn't a hands free model, I'll play a harmonica.
:D