Kaval for beginners

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
paals
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Kaval for beginners

Post by paals »

Apart from learning frula, I'm also thinking of taking up the kaval. As prices of some decent ones start far over $100, I'd like to try a cheaper alternative to start with, if any exists.

Lark in the Morning sells some black kavals for $30/50. They are named 'Turkish' on their website, but I believe they could as well be called 'Macedonian', since they're both one-piece end-blown instruments. Although the price is low, the risk of damages to my enthusiasm done by an inappropriate instrument is high and I have to be careful :D .

Have you ever had any experience with the above-mentioned creatures? Are they worth buying? Also, if I'm mistaken with the similarity of different types of kavals, correct me, please.

Thanks,

Pawel
WilliamC
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle and flute player. I've been playing for about 15 years now.
I am addicted to Chiff and Fipple. I access this site at least once a day.

Post by WilliamC »

About 4 years ago I bought a Macedonian style kaval from a fellow in North Carolina named Kostya Lapasha. His kavals are made from a composite material. His website is http://www4.ncsu.edu/~calfor/konstantin/Kavals.htm
Even though his webpage says $45 for a kaval, he actually charged $50 at the time. The instrument was satisfactory to me, intonation & tone were good. In early 2006, I decided I wanted a wooden Bulgarian style kaval so I bought an ashwood kaval from www.shopbulgaria.com. I've been happy with this instrument as well. Kostya Lapasha's kavals are an good, inexpensive alternative.
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

In Turkey, at least it is normal for villagers to make their own kaval using nothing more sophisticated than a lenght of brass or copper plumbing pipe. These days plastic pipes are also increasingly used.
paals

Post by paals »

WilliamC,
thanks a lot for the link, I would never find it myself. I strongly consider ordering one of Mr. LaPasha instruments. I would be grateful if you could describe the difference between them and the wooden kaval (Victor Terziiski's one?) you bought.

Yuri,
thank you for the info, that's what I've come across recently. What attracts me most to materials like copper, brass or plastic, is the carefree maintenance. I'm not the kind of person who would take a good care of a wooden instrument, I'm afraid... At least, not as long as my kids need focused attention of their parents all the time :party:
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

This may be of interest.

Make your own Bulgarian kaval At the bottom of that page there some additional links.

A Beginner's Guide to Playing the Kaval
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
WilliamC
Tell us something.: Whistle and flute player. I've been playing for about 15 years now.

Post by WilliamC »

Sorry for the delay getting back with you, I've been out of town for a few days. The kavals made by Kostya Lapasha are Macedonian style which are typically narrower than Bulgarian kavals. The kaval he made for me has an embouchure diameter of approx. 15 mm. It is made of a composite material, is cylindrical from end to end, and is very lightweight. The Bulgarian kaval I got from shopbulgaria.com is made of ashwood and comes in 3 pieces. The diameter of the embouchure is approx. 20 mm. The Bulgarian kaval tapers out a little in the headjoint and is heavier than the composite kaval. The fingerholes of the composite kaval are approx. 8 mm. while the Bulgarian kaval are 10 mm. About the sound, the composite kaval has a somewhat brighter, more penetrating tone. Whether this is due to the material or the diameter, I don't know. There is an endless debate whether material affects the tone of wind instruments. I can't say I prefer the sound of one kaval over the other. I typically play the Bulgarian kaval more because I like the feel of wood and I like the little extra heft or weight of the instrument.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

WilliamC wrote:The diameter of the embouchure is approx. 20 mm.
Wow, that's wide - none of mine has more than 17 mm, with fingerholes of 9 - 9.5 mm.
paals

Post by paals »

Thanks, I.D., I've already browsed through that. No skills, however, to make my own :(

WilliamC,
thanks again. Your remarks are of great value to me.
I've contacted Kostya - he now seems to offer the choice of either Macedonian or Bulgarian style kavals, as he asked me about my preferrence. He's gone on holiday, however, and I'm waiting for some more details on prices etc.
As to my sound colour preference, I typically give priority to darker sounding instruments. I would love to own a BG wooden kaval, but, apart from maintainance issues, I simply can't afford to buy one now - $150 seems to be the absolute minimum and usually doesn't cover the postage. Kostya's instruments seem reasonable in all respect.
WilliamC

Post by WilliamC »

Paals,
I probably should have mentioned in the first place that I had requested Lapasha make my composite kaval in 3 pieces. There was an extra charge of $25 to do this. The total cost for me when this was done 4 years ago was $80: $50 for the kaval, $25 to make it in 3 pieces, and $5 for shipping/handling. So do I have a Bulgarian style kaval irregardless of the bore size simply because it is in 3 pieces or do I have a Macedonian style kaval since it has the narrower bore but happens to be made in 3 pieces? I don't know. In hindsight, I might have just had it made in one piece and saved myself $25 but having it in 3 pieces makes it easier to take on trips. Anyway, he does nice work and his kaval plays well.
The kavals at shopbulgaria.com have increased in price since I bought mine 2 years ago. Mine is a D kaval with plastic ferrules and cost $119 which included shipping/handling.

This is the link to the website that got me interested in kavals in the first place:
http://www.robertsnider.com/Kavals/
Very informative and if you'll go to the link to his manual for beginning kaval players, there's very detailed information on embouchure and articulation.

This page has information about Balkan sheet music:
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~dsimpson/fd/resources.html

This is a link to free sheet music from various countries including Balkan countries:
http://www.folkloretanznoten.de/
cadancer

Re: Kaval for beginners

Post by cadancer »

Anyone considering East European music should pay a visit to:

www.eefc.org

They have a list-serve (mailing list type forum) that is very active. There is *much* expertise in Macedonian and Bulgarian folk music as well as instrument makers or people who know of them. They also sponsor week-long music and dance camps on both of the USA coasts (east and west).

You would be able to locate kaval makers or people who have kavals for sale (including Bulgarian, Macedonian, Turkish, as well as the Ney)

...john