new Practice Set by CALMONT, eBay listing

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =906241621

Low starting bid, keyless chanter in Maple.
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anima »

Who is (are?) Calmont? I've seen his (their?) stuff on ebay before, but can not find any information anywhere on the net.
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

it seems like the person selling this item knows alot about it. to second the question: Who is Carlmont?

Caryn
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

I bought a Howard chanter that included a bag, bellows, and reed from Calmont. The bag and bellows work, but are quite crude and the bellows is uncomfortable to use (flat cheeks, square edges, no padding). The tube between the bag and bellows uses a tapered friction fit which has yet to pop loose. The reed is plastic with shrink tubing for binding (or over the binding), and a paper stable for a bridle. It has the sound for which plastic reeds are famous. I have not seen one of his chanters, so I cannot comment on their quality or performance. He seems to be a guy who is honestly trying to make something that works with less expensive materials where possible. I am now a firm beliver that the reed is not yet one of those places.

Best Regards,

dave boling
CALMONTMUSIC

Post by CALMONTMUSIC »

On 2002-09-11 23:29, anima wrote:
Who is (are?) Calmont? I've seen his (their?) stuff on ebay before, but can not find any information anywhere on the net.
I think you are refering to me. I have been selling my stuff on ebay. what would you like to know???
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

I wouldn't mind knowing who you are, who makes your chanters/reeds, what experience you have, your history with Uilleann Piping and instrument making in general.

I also wouldn't mind hearing from anyone who plays Calmont pipes..

Dionys
CALMONTMUSIC

Post by CALMONTMUSIC »

I have been making pipes for a number of years now. Yes i do make my own chanters and reeds. I also make flutes and other instruments. I learned most of my pipe making skills from Brian Howard the pipe maker who also taught me to play the pipes.

I first started making instruments when i was working as a music teacher in a secondary school. The school could not afford a lot of instruments (inner city school) so I made some for the children.I also teach adults Irish Music at the local college and most of the students could not afford the instruments so i am make for them. It was not something that i had planned, it just seemed to happen. Although it all started off as doing the odd favour and a hobby or to mantain my own pipes I now find myself making most of the time. ( its less stressful than teaching)
When i am not making ,I work as a music teacher doing supply work.I also play as a musician doing session work,gigs and festivals.(roll on st pats day) I play flute ,pipes,low whistle, bodhran. I studied harp at Birmingham conservatoire (CBSO)with Robert Johnson. I learned to play the flute with Michael Feeley and Beverly Whelan.

I consider my self to be semiretired but still do some session work. I play for a band called "Round the House and Mind the Dresser". I am in a local production of "Flaming Feet".
I am originaly from Ireland and played in my brothers band over there for about 4 years.
I am now resident in sunny old England.
all the best
John
anima

Post by anima »

hmmm.... sunny and England.... bit of an oxymoron isn't it? :smile:

I've played around with making plastic reeds in the past, but without much success. How are you making yours?
CALMONTMUSIC

Post by CALMONTMUSIC »

Dear oxy
The type of plastic is important for good results. Yogort pots wont do. I use polycarbonate. it has to be made similiar to a conventional reed except the sanding is a bit delicate. too much and its history. two little and your eyeballs may pop out trying to blow it. I also make a special staple which is a lot narrower at the top. I do this by inserting a former and pinching the sides in to the desired diameter.(you may not have to do this depends on the chanter), This also serves as a wide base to glue the reed head.Looks like the staple has wings when you are done. The reed length and width is usually a lot smaller again this depends on the make of chanter. On mine the top of the reed showing above the staple throat is about 11mm width and its length is about 12-13. You can only get the correct dimensions for your chanter by trial and error.
My reed plays in two octaves with no problem. I have been using it for about 8 years now.No one has ever twigged that it is synthetic . Believe it or not the sun has been shining in Leicester all day.
all the best
John
anima

Post by anima »

Do you have any pictures?
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

and sound files?

who's oxy?
CALMONTMUSIC

Post by CALMONTMUSIC »

No sound files or pictures at the moment will do some when I have the time
all the best
John