Overton low D (Goldie) clogging problem

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scoutcow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Overton low D (Goldie) clogging problem

Post by scoutcow »

I have an Overton low D whistle made by C. Goldie april 2008.
It's a really good whistle and I really like it, but I have a problem with it with clogging. I warm it up everytime before I play, but I can't even play one tune on it and it gets clogged again. I can still play it, but it just sounds a bit muted and not that beautiful Overton sound anymore. I've tried an anti condensation fluid, especially made for recorders, works for all woodwinds it says. It's "La Tromba, Anti-Heiser, for all Woodwind Instruments" ( http://www.mainmusic.nl/persit.asp?styp ... e=8287.jpg )
I don't know if it's duponol or something like it or just something totaly different that doesn't work on aluminium whistles.
I also tried cleaning the whole whistle with soapy water, especially the mouthpiece, but that doesn't seem to work either.
Is there something else that could help?
ahogrelius
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

I had the same problem with my OS Chieftain but Duponol solved the problem for me. Your mileage may vary though...

Cheers,
Anders
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

If it is a tunable whistle? Try turning the head upside down.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

My experience with Overton whistles over the years (I own quite a few) is that that clogging problems tend to stem from players who are new to the whistles not blowing forcefully enough when they play. There can be some clogging of a cold whistle in the first few minutes of playing, but once the whistle is warmed up, you shouldn't have problems unless you are playing a bit too timidly. Try playing a bit more forcefully, I think you'll find it makes a big difference.

Loren
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

...not blowing forcefully enough when they play...
When I did have my Overtons (they weren't low D), I seem to recall that they required less breath pressure and an open throat to get the best tone. This also seemed to reduce clogging.

I also suggest: cleaning out the windway with a piece of folded paper or a thin piece of cardboard; minimizing tonguing articulation; and sucking back the condensation between phrases (yes it's yucky but it works).

You could always have your saliva glands removed.
scoutcow

Post by scoutcow »

I allready tried that with a piece of paper and also rinsing it out with (soapy) warm water, but it didn't seem to help.
I also like whistles with high backpressure, so I'm almost sure I'm blowing with enough force.
I just tried cleaning the windway out with a piece of an old credit card and rinsed it out with water after that. It's too late to test it, so I'll tell you tomorrow how it goes.
I played the whistle outside before I bought it, played it for about an hour or so (shop owner was glad I did that so that everyone could see his whistles were really playable, he gave me almost every whistle he had to play it to interested people :P ) But even though it was cold outside, after I warmed it up, I hadn't had very much problems with clogging there and it seemed to get worse. I hope cleaning out with the credit card helps, maybe the paper was too 'soft' to clean it out.
I also received a very helpful e-mail from Brigitte with some tips and if that doesn't help I can call Colin and ask him what could be wrong.

One thing I saw (from the beginning) was that it looks like the fipple isn't 100% straight:
ahogrelius
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

scoutcow wrote: One thing I saw (from the beginning) was that it looks like the fipple isn't 100% straight:
It doesn't matter as long as the windway is straight and it looks to me like yours is OK.

Cheers,
Anders
scoutcow

Post by scoutcow »

I played it for a bit (just the lowest notes in the first octave so it doesnt make that much noise) and it looks like it doesn't clog anymore, but I'll try it again tomorrow morning.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

On any metal whistle that tends to clog, try warming the head / fipple of the whistle in your hands for a few minutes before you first play.

When your warm, moisture-laden air from your mouth hits cold metal, water instantly condenses on the surface of the metal windway.

If the metal is warmed, however, significantly less water will condense on it.

Also, I've found that pretty much all whistles, from the least expensive on up, tend to play better when warm.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

I've always wondered if clogging might worsen over time just because metal oxidation might provide nucleation sites for droplet formation. However I'm making the assumption that freshly machined aluminum or brass have better whetting properties.
ahogrelius

Post by ahogrelius »

Guinness wrote:I've always wondered if clogging might worsen over time just because metal oxidation might provide nucleation sites for droplet formation. However I'm making the assumption that freshly machined aluminum or brass have better whetting properties.
It may well get worse as the surface oxidizes but aluminum would probably not be affected as it already will have an oxide layer that will protect it from further oxidation. The only thing that will dissolve the oxide layer and make it oxidize further would be if your saliva has an extremely high or low pH which is unlikely... :D Brass will oxidize though so if someone figures out a way to polish the windway without scratching it it would surely help if you have an all-brass whistle. That's another good reason to build the whistles like Mike Burke does, without any brass in there you won't get any oxidation...

Cheers,
Anders
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

The "clogging problem" can be limited and from what I see eliminated by some simple routines. Usually if someone warms the whistle up before playing, which is no big job and done quickly by just a few times blowing hard into the whistle, there is little problems if any, also blowing hard after a tune is played will clear out. (dont forget to put the finger over the vent when doing this)

There is a "starting clogging problem" that we see, that is if someone is new to the whistle or low whistle (as well as the Overton themselves) learning the breath control solves it, playing with confidence and blowing with the force the instrument askes for usually solves this... this though is the rarest occassion.

More often clogging we see comes over time and it is a slow process in which the instrument slowly "developes" sound and playability changes and that is simply because the windway is getting dirty. Having a whistle open on a stand head up, dust can sneak in. Eating sweets or crisps and the likes at the weekly session, drinking sugary stuff, smoking while playing all this builds up a thin layer of "I do not want to know but it looks horrible when it gets cleaned out" inside the windway.

So I always recommend, warm up, play with confidence as the air going through the windway normally clears out the water in there and like warming up, blowing out at the end of each tune. Avoid eating when playing or sugary drinks and if you think the behaviour is changing have a look into the windway if you can see anything unusual. Clean it occassionally when you think it is changed and you are not happy with the changes....

....and last recommendation towards a habbit I sometimes see and due to what I have seen coming out of whistles when they come for an overhaul. Try to not suck it empty but retrain yourselve and use the second or so that takes to "blow it empty if needed", your spouse will appreciate it; when I see someone sucking their whistles especially older ones or not so clean looking ones in general, not only my mind starts revolting....

Hope this helps
Brigitte

Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
NoMattch

Post by NoMattch »

That's funny, Brigitte! I get the feeling you don't like people sucking through whistles. :)
How about drinking through them like a straw? :lol:

Hope all is well in DE...nice win yesterday!
Take care,
Matt
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I've used the "waxed dental floss" windway treatment on my Overtons (high and low D) with positive results. Duponol seems less effective on these.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
scoutcow

Post by scoutcow »

Tried cleaning it with a piece of cotton with soap and also tried the waxed dental floss trick, but it doesn't seem to help. This is how it looks like after playing for just a minute: