Piccolo instead of "D" whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sinebar

Piccolo instead of "D" whistle

Post by sinebar »

Anyone here use a piccolo instead of the more traditional Irish D whistle? I bought a Geminhardt P4 off ebay to try. I have a Burke and just ordered a wooden Busman made from grenadila. I like the idea of the piccolo because it's fully chromatic and it plays down to D just like the whistle.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

My take on it has always been that one is not superior to the other, they are different tools that do similar tasks. Nothing wrong with using both if that's what gets the job done.

Welcome to the Cafe!
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
hatao
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Piccolo instead of Whistle

Post by hatao »

I do. I've got one of Hamilton D Piccolo last month.
Both instruments have their good point so actually I play both.

You can listen to my playing here.

http://hatao.podbean.com/
Japanese Wooden Flute & Whistle player.
Wendy311
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Piccolo instead of "D" whistle

Post by Wendy311 »

sinebar wrote:Anyone here use a piccolo instead of the more traditional Irish D whistle? I bought a Geminhardt P4 off ebay to try. I have a Burke and just ordered a wooden Busman made from grenadila. I like the idea of the piccolo because it's fully chromatic and it plays down to D just like the whistle.
Hello sinebar,

Congratulations on your piccolo purchase; I think you've made a good purchase for someone just venturing into playing piccolo. I am in kind of in the opposite situation as yourself. I have played piccolo for the past 15 years and just recently started acquiring whistles (I have a Susato high D and low D currently with a purpleheart wooden whistle from Paul Busman and Ironwood whistle from Brad Anderson in Australia on order). And now I'm probably going to be making my first grenadilla wooden piccolo purchase in the very near future from craigslist; I currently have a Gemeinhardt 4PSH piccolo I've been playing. I have to admit I like all of my instruments, but playing the piccolo is definitely fun, even with the different air requirements and embouchure. I like piccolo and whistle so much that it is difficult to choose one over the other. :)