Info Seek- The Poet of Lios Buí

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
schlimmerkerl

Info Seek- The Poet of Lios Buí

Post by schlimmerkerl »

On the CD by Seán O'Sé, the first song is "An Banbh". According to the accompanying booklet, it was written by ""…a Cill na Martra poet known as 'The Poet of Lios Buí'". I would appreciate any information regarding the song (Irish/English translation), the tune, and the aforementioned Poet.

A tall order, i know since google yielded nothing. Calling all anoraks…

Thanks very much.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

How did you look for " An Banbh" (The Little Pig) on Google? Among several other items, I immediately hit this stellar performance on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm4mSEX8 ... re=related
I'm not finding the lyrics anywhere, though, or any reference to a poet of Lisboy.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
schlimmerkerl

Post by schlimmerkerl »

Thanks very much, but i already found that. Sorry i forgot to mention it. I have a version by O'Se on the CD mentioned (Gael-Linn AF003).

I don't think the accent mark over the "i" came through. It's The Poet of Lios bui (the "yellow hills", i think.)
Fun Time Dub

Post by Fun Time Dub »

schlimmerkerl wrote:Thanks very much, but i already found that. Sorry i forgot to mention it. I have a version by O'Se on the CD mentioned (Gael-Linn AF003).

I don't think the accent mark over the "i" came through. It's The Poet of Lios bui (the "yellow hills", i think.)
Lios is a fort or ringfort (cnoc is a hill in case you were wondering ) :)

I've found a couple of references to Lios Buí namely Lios Buí Mór and Lios Buí Beag both in County Cork. (mór = big or large and beag = small). I think what they're referring to is a poet of a yellow fairy fort (fairy forts being circular areas found in random fields that have particular significance in Irish mythology). I can't seem to find any record of such a person. It's possible that the poet was only known in that particular area of rural Cork (i.e. Cill na Martra). Certainly there is no famous Irish poet that I'm aware of that goes by that moniker.
djm

Post by djm »

Lisboy is the modern English version of Lios Buí. Elizabeth Cronin lived near that area. You would have to go in person to the <A TARGET="NEW" HREF="http://www.itma.ie/">Irish Traditional Music Archive</A> to get more information. They don't make anything available on-line.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
schlimmerkerl

Post by schlimmerkerl »

You would have to go in person to the Irish Traditional Music Archive to get more information
Next time we're in Dublin (August), I will. Thanks to all.
mcds
antispam: No

Re: Info Seek- The Poet of Lios Buí

Post by mcds »

The Poet of Lios Bui was a man called Jermiah Lucey from Lisboy More as it was known that time, I think he left Liosbui and went to Deshure In Terelton, Kilmichael, Co Cork
schlimmerkerl

Post by schlimmerkerl »

Thank you.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Wow, I remember this thread from 2 years ago. It's pretty cool to get an answer. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
schlimmerkerl

Post by schlimmerkerl »

Um… how do you make Hypno-toad do his thing? Now you must excuse me as i find that i have a sudden craving for a 50LB bag of Bachelor Chow.