most common whistle after a high d

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Fun Time Dub
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

most common whistle after a high d

Post by Fun Time Dub »

Hi,
I am considering the purchase of a Busman whistle at the moment (mainly because they are beautiful looking instruments). I already have a Chieftain high d (which is great) and I was wondering what is the next most common whistle used whistle in Irish trad music? Any advice would be most welcome.

Thank you
Paul
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Man, you live in Dublin! Walk into the Brazen Head pub after 10 pm and ask one of the musicians there!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Fun Time Dub

Post by Fun Time Dub »

blackhawk wrote:Man, you live in Dublin! Walk into the Brazen Head pub after 10 pm and ask one of the musicians there!
:) yeah I know mate but I'm pretty new to this whole whistling scene and besides that I'm bored in work at the moment so I just thought I'd get the forum's opinion.
scheky

Post by scheky »

Most common? Honestly, it's usually about 2 dozen more High Ds.

That said, the second most useful key is C. A or Bb is probably the next...then it's time to get wacky.

Low D, Low F, Low G...
Fun Time Dub

Post by Fun Time Dub »

scheky wrote:Most common? Honestly, it's usually about 2 dozen more High Ds.

That said, the second most useful key is C. A or Bb is probably the next...then it's time to get wacky.

Low D, Low F, Low G...
Cheers Scheky :thumbsup:
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

I'd go and visit Mick O'Brien in Raheny and try out some Burke whistles or better, try a flute! 018311985
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

High C. After that it gets strange.

I'm not sure if it's the next most commonly used whistle after a high d, but it's the one I got next, and the one I would still get next, and advise anyone to get next. Mostly for the number of waltzes that you seem to get in C, plus all those jigs, reels and slip-jigs that have a middle C in them somewhere.

MTGuru will tell you you can fake it, and yes, you can, but you'll always wonder what it sounds like unfaked.

Probably a Bb would be next after that, but I got a B instead... In fact, I got a G and never played the bloody thing as the holes are too close together for my fingers. I've got an F somewhere and haven't played that for years.

If I'm travelling I'll carry the High D and the High C, and that's all. But for a routine practice I'll have a high D, High C, High B and High A. (Well, that's a low high A, for playing Asokan Farewell. ) And a low D. And these days, a Willowflute and two Koncovkas.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I'd recommend the C as well... With a D whistle, you can play in D and G and with a C whistle, you can play in C and F. So, you cover the whole top of the circle-of-fifths and most of the major keys you're likely to find. If you can get a decent G# on your D whistle (I can't in the lower octave), you can also cover A. Similarly, you might be able to get to Bb by half-holing the E on the C whistle.

Good Luck!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Fun Time Dub

Post by Fun Time Dub »

C whistle it is so. Go raibh maith agaibh :thumbsup:
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

All of these answers are interesting, but none of them really answer the question properly.

Almost all Irish sessions are built off D and require a D whistle or flute. Significantly rarer are Eb sessions, but they're popular here and there. Every once in a while you'll find people tuned down to C or Bb, but this is really rare and tends to be in piping sessions or with concertinas. I played in one F session, but that was a bunch of crazy Boston flute players who decided to have a low-F whistle session at 4 AM.

Basically, D, then Eb, then C or Bb...
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Agreed, assuming Fun Time wants to play sessions - a pretty reasonable assumption in Dublin, I guess!

Actually, tunes in Gdor and Dm/Ddor and even C Major pop up often enough in normal sessions, and for those you really want a C whistle as your second session whistle.

An E whistle is a great cheater for A Major tunes, but most people just use a D whistle for those.

In the mezzo range, there's something about the size and range of an F whistle that seems to be just right for solo playing. Or crazy 4 AM sessions. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
scheky

Post by scheky »

Chris,

The mythical Eb session is a pretty rare beast. A normal session will find plenty of use for a C whistle (you could expect to pull it out in most sessions), but an Eb is a once in a blue moon thing. Heck, most people have never even seen an Eb session.
Fun Time Dub

Post by Fun Time Dub »

MTGuru wrote:Agreed, assuming Fun Time wants to play sessions - a pretty reasonable assumption in Dublin, I guess!

Actually, tunes in Gdor and Dm/Ddor and even C Major pop up often enough in normal sessions, and for those you really want a C whistle as your second session whistle.

An E whistle is a great cheater for A Major tunes, but most people just use a D whistle for those.

In the mezzo range, there's something about the size and range of an F whistle that seems to be just right for solo playing. Or crazy 4 AM sessions. :-)
Is there much difference betwwen a soprano d and a mezzo d? Could either be used in a d session for example?
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Fun Time Dub wrote:
MTGuru wrote:Agreed, assuming Fun Time wants to play sessions - a pretty reasonable assumption in Dublin, I guess!

Is there much difference betwwen a soprano d and a mezzo d? Could either be used in a d session for example?
Well the major difference is Size... Normally called "low whistles" or "low D's", the only other real difference is that one is an octave Lower, but it's still a D whistle, just like an Irish flute in D. Sure you can use it in sessions if you really like playing the monstrosity that much.

But your second whistle to get I agree would definitely be a C whistle.

Wish I lived in North County Dublin. I have a friend in Skerries who wouldn't mind either!
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Fun Time Dub wrote:Is there much difference betwwen a soprano d and a mezzo d? Could either be used in a d session for example?
Yeah, sorry, the terminology isn't very standardized. One scheme: Bb whistles and up are high. Whistles from A down to E or Eb are mezzo or middle. And low D or below are low. Or mezzo G whistles and below are simply called low to easily distinguish them from their 8va counterparts. Kerrywhistles uses a different scheme of mezzo, alto and tenor.

Sure, low D whistles work fine in sessions, doubling the flute range.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.