Rudall Carte Piccolo Simple system

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
treeshark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Rudall Carte Piccolo Simple system

Post by treeshark »

Got a Rudall Carte Piccolo off a market stall today. Simple System Eb. 6 keys. Very beautifully made. cocus, slide. cork with silver plate turned adjustor etc.
In about mint condition doesn't look to have been played, springs all fine a couple of the pads have rotted.
The stamp reads Rudall & Carte Co Ltd, 23 Berners Street, Oxford Street, London, 6780. Crown above.
Any more info would be welcome!
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Cool!

so, ya gonna workup a Goatee line for picc?
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

Denny wrote:Cool!

so, ya gonna workup a Goatee line for picc?
Heh I don't think I'll keep it my face and hands are too big, and only bats can hear the top end, It's very easy to blow though, I've tried other piccolos and struggled, but this one is easy.
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Rudall Carte Piccolo Simple system

Post by Jon C. »

treeshark wrote:Got a Rudall Carte Piccolo off a market stall today. Simple System Eb. 6 keys. Very beautifully made. cocus, slide. cork with silver plate turned adjustor etc.
In about mint condition doesn't look to have been played, springs all fine a couple of the pads have rotted.
The stamp reads Rudall & Carte Co Ltd, 23 Berners Street, Oxford Street, London, 6780. Crown above.
Any more info would be welcome!
Can we see a photo of your new beauty? After all, you are a photographer... :P
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
treeshark

Re: Rudall Carte Piccolo Simple system

Post by treeshark »

Jon C. wrote: Can we see a photo of your new beauty? After all, you are a photographer... :P
Illustrator please! Would a quick sketch do? I'll post one on Tues as my server has died the death and won't be going again til after the weekend...

It's similar to the one on this page except it has a squared off end cap with adjusting mechanism.

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/piccplr/vpicc/vpicc6.html
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Here is a R&R F that the late Andrew Kirby had, to hold us over...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Comme cela?

Terry
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Terry McGee wrote:Comme cela?

Terry
...et comme cela aurait pu être craint...
Michael Flatley

Jon
treeshark

Post by treeshark »

Terry McGee wrote:Comme cela?

Terry
That's the one but with no bits missing!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Voice les miens. (Pour-quoi est-ce qu'on ecrive en Francais?)

The upper one is my own playing piccolo, RC & Co #6974 in ebonite, bought off eBay from one of the regular dealers nearly a couple of years back for c £140, - plays very sweetly (in D @ A=440) but is very condensation prone.

The lower one is my equivalent of Treeshark's find - bought off eBay about a year ago for £20-ish - the seller did not make any mention of the perfectly clear stamps in the advert, nor were they visible on the photos, so it was a very pleasant surprise when it arrived, though I knew from the look of it that it was a bit out-of-the-ordinary. I haven't gotten around to doing any work on it yet, but it is semi-playable for test purposes as is and is also very nice sounding. It has an unopened barrel crack that only needs fixing for safety, the barrel lining is loose, there is an old replacement short F block, and, the worst problem, is missing its Eb key (German Silver, miniature saltspoon) - which is going to be a major problem to replace, dammit (ideas anyone?????). It is otherwise in excellent condition, just needing a general clean and overhaul. It is in cocuswood, in D @ A=440 and is RC & Co #1783.

Sorry they're not very good pics (! :wink: !) - I'm rushing a bit and no time to do better ones.

Treeshark, are you sure yours is an Eb?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Oh yeah, and slightly tweaking the thread, any of you seen this on eBay?

Lovely Irish Flute by Brendan McMahon

Someone got themselves a real bargain - it went for a mere £75! Surely that would make Mr. McMahon weep if he sees it!

Seems to be recently made 5-key piccolo - and weren't we musing recently in another thread over whether any modern maker would bother with such when there are so many decent old ones floating around unwanted still? Making normal flute-size keys is finicky enough!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
david quinn
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by david quinn »

Id be interested in buying a Rudall Carte simple system piccolo same length as this, if anyone has a spair one for sale :) ebonite prefered

Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

jemtheflute wrote:
the worst problem, is missing its Eb key (German Silver, miniature saltspoon) - which is going to be a major problem to replace, dammit (ideas anyone?????).
Your opportunity to take repairs to the next level - fashioning your own key. All you need is an EPNS spoon from your local flea market, and some basic silversmithing tools and a rainy Sunday afternoon ...

Terry
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

david quinn wrote:Id be interested in buying a Rudall Carte simple system piccolo same length as this, if anyone has a spair one for sale :) ebonite prefered

Is that an Eb?? It seems a bit short for a D, but I am no expert!
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
david quinn
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and NORTHERN IRELAND

Post by david quinn »

I.D.10-t wrote:
david quinn wrote:Id be interested in buying a Rudall Carte simple system piccolo same length as this, if anyone has a spair one for sale :) ebonite prefered

Is that an Eb?? It seems a bit short for a D, but I am no expert!
Yes E flat high pitch.

David