WANTED: Best sound; size/spread of holes no object!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
King_Toe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

WANTED: Best sound; size/spread of holes no object!

Post by King_Toe »

Whose model has big holes closest to the place where they SOUND best?

It seems like every model I see says something like "This uses a so-and-so design which optimizes volume/intonation, while keeping the holes close enough to be fingered comfortably..."

My question being: And what if I DON'T need to finger it comfortably?

My hands are decent-sized, plus I use R4 (my RH pinky) to finger hole 6 (I don’t see any disadvantage to this grip, as I don’t want keys anyway. IS there a disadvantage?). Tipple’s D was no challenge; played with ease, and room to spare.

I’ve heard that compromises MUST be made to get comfortable fingering, and there’s always a trade-off on sound consistency.

So: who compromises the least?

I read the thread "On Big And Far Apart Holes." Terry had a lot to say.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... d66c73c4ae

I want something like the Siccama. Does anyone have/make a Siccama-ish flute without those keys and such? I just don’t want to pay extra for the keys if I can help it. (I assume I’d pay extra… right?) Plus they sound different. (er…Right?)

Pratten seems to be closest. But even so, most Pratten models have the “This is a Pratten design with the layout made more comfortable” thing going on. (BTW do Prattens particularly do well with the 1-piece center? Or is that just the way they’ve always been? Because I don’t like the setup with that silly little foot).

SUMMARY: I want a flute that is expressive, traditional-sounding, and very very loud. Assuming that I have enough lungs, hands, and wallet to make anything work, who can give me one? I want it in polymer, too (unless anyone can give me one good reason not to. :) Seriously though: IS delrin drilled differently to cause any difference in sound whatsoever?).

I hope that at least one of my questions/comments have been incendiary enough to start some lively discussion. :) Cheers.
"A song with a chorus is the only perfectly democratic institution in the world"
--G.K. Chesterton
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Boehm :wink:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Eamon Cotter Pratten, but it's in blackwood.
Dana

Post by Dana »

Denny wrote:Boehm :wink:
Agree. Big holes and loud. :P
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

The Seery and the M&E are both polymer with large holes that are not set ergonomically. The M&E has the older style tuning, so a normal Seery seems like it would meet your needs. Rob Forbes flutes may also fit the bill, but I've not played one of those.

Personally, I don't see how you can play using the RH pinky - my pinkies just don't seem to respond as quickly as the ring finger and I think that would hamper your playing...but more power to you if it works for you.

Eric
groxburgh

Re: WANTED: Best sound; size/spread of holes no object!

Post by groxburgh »

King_Toe wrote:SUMMARY: I want a flute that is expressive, traditional-sounding, and very very loud. Assuming that I have enough lungs, hands, and wallet to make anything work, who can give me one? .
Boehm Hah: get a saxophone, much reedier tone and much louder and more expressive. And quite popular for ITM a few decades ago.

Seriously, using your pinky finger is a silly idea. You've no idea what other instruments you might want to play in the future, and some of them will require you to relearn your fingering if you learn the flute with the pinky finger instead of R3.

cheers
Graeme
Dana

Post by Dana »

groxburgh wrote:
King_Toe wrote:SUMMARY: I want a flute that is expressive, traditional-sounding, and very very loud. Assuming that I have enough lungs, hands, and wallet to make anything work, who can give me one? .
Boehm Hah: get a saxophone, much reedier tone and much louder and more expressive. And quite popular for ITM a few decades ago.
Saxophone/Expressive: Hah
groxburgh

Post by groxburgh »

Dana wrote: Saxophone/Expressive: Hah
http://www.box.net/shared/c3ua4h5gcw

Then again maybe that proves your point?

Cheers
Graeme
Last edited by groxburgh on Mon May 19, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

The loudest flute is whatever Michael Hynes is holding....

Seriously, I can't imagine anyone needing anything any louder than my Olwell Pratten. Not that it can't be played quietly.

Cheers,

Rob
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Rob Sharer wrote:The loudest flute is whatever Michael Hynes is holding....

Seriously, I can't imagine anyone needing anything any louder than my Olwell Pratten. Not that it can't be played quietly.

Cheers,

Rob
Sure it's loud, but unless it's Jessie's old flute it's not polymer. If he wanted to jump to wood - Cotter, Olwell, Hamilton (my very first thought) or Jordan's Healy for sale in another thread all would fit his criteria.

Eric
Cork

Post by Cork »

Dana wrote:
Denny wrote:Boehm :wink:
Agree. Big holes and loud. :P
Boehm flute tone holes are placed where they should be, not compromised by any finger stretch issues, and, of all flutes, are the largest tone holes.

In more recent years, even the lowest cost beginner's models generally are pretty good, just stick with established, reputable manufacturers.

However, as you may be aware, they're played by relatively few ITM players.
daiv

Post by daiv »

the loudest i have ever played is a boehm with my copley headjoint.

there is no reason to need to be so loud. it is better to blend.

why dont you use your wring finger? this is ok, i guess, but it means you cant use an Eb key if you had one.

terry makes a boehm model simple system--so does someone else. i cant recall who it is.

if you really want to be loud, get a piccolo. piccolos can be heard over the entire orchestra.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

King_Toe wrote: SUMMARY: I want a flute that is expressive, traditional-sounding, and very very loud. Assuming that I have enough lungs, hands, and wallet to make anything work, who can give me one? I want it in polymer, too (unless anyone can give me one good reason not to. :) Seriously though: IS delrin drilled differently to cause any difference in sound whatsoever?).
It would be no problem at all to make you a flute based on the Siccama, but without the keys, relying on R4 to play the sixth hole. You could make use of R3 if you wanted to play F natural, or you could leave it unused. You specify the stretches, I'll make it work!

It would be fine in Delrin, indeed slightly louder than it would be in wood.

How would you approach the left hand? Normal grip would require the Pratten spacing; Pipers grip would enable a wider spacing allowing hole 3 to be better placed.

The question of whether to split the flute between L & R hand might depend on how you deal with the left. Otherwise, no problem.

This would be fun.

Terry
Cork

Post by Cork »

Good suggestion, Terry, as I somehow suspect that a Boehm flute was not what King_Toe had in mind.

;-)