bate/bait???

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

bate/bait???

Post by cowtime »

Today we were celebrating my daughter's 32 birthday-I can't even begin to think she's that old). Anyway, someone was trying to get me to eat something and I said " I've already eaten such a bate/bait of that salad I can't eat any more. (bate/bait meaning "a large amount") Well, everyone looked at me like I was speakin' in tongues or somethin'- swore they'd never heard that word used like that. My DH and my mom were the only ones there who'd heard it used like that.

Well, I came back home and looked it up- hmm- no help there in the dictionary. Any of y'all ever heard that word used like that before?
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Never, not even amongst my Tazewell relations.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

all the time! also use the word ate instead of eat! we irish know how to mess with language,
i would have said" im after atin that much of that salad im as full as a shuck".

oh and sometines id say "bet", instead of "bait": as in "he bet into me finger, the fecker, so i gave him a dunt to the jawbox"!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

In Belfast 'Norn Iron' bate can mean bit, as in "Ahada fer bate te ate': I had a fair bit to eat. The usage has mostly died out, I know when I was a child I would get confused when someone would say 'He fairly bate (beat) the drum' I would get 'beat' mixed up with 'bit', why would he have 'bit' his drum I thought to myself?!
As I said, bate also means beat, as in 'He tuck a fur bating': he took a fair beating.
"How did the feckin' dog get out of the yard?" "He bate (bit) through his lead, Da"
Another word I love and haven't heard in a long time is 'whir' or 'wur' meaning 'our', as in 'This is whir house'.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

My mom always used the word 'reading' or 'redding' to mean straightening, as in 'Take a few minutes and read up the house before your friend comes over.' I never heard anyone else say it until a couple of years ago a woman who worked for me used it. My mom grew up in central Ohio, I live in northeastern Ohio as does the woman who worked for me.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I've heard the word used that way, but it's been many years ago.

My older relations, now mostly gone, might say something like "I have had my bate of that!", meaning "Whatever you're doing, you'd be well advised to stop," as the next words were likely to involve the lovely phrase "go cut me a keen little switch."

I don't think I've ever actually heard it used about eating food, though...only to express exasperation.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

FJohnSharp wrote:My mom always used the word 'reading' or 'redding' to mean straightening, as in 'Take a few minutes and read up the house before your friend comes over.' I never heard anyone else say it until a couple of years ago a woman who worked for me used it. My mom grew up in central Ohio, I live in northeastern Ohio as does the woman who worked for me.
Sounds like it's just a variant pronunciation of readying.
Reasonable person
Walden
Jack

Post by Jack »

I always thought it was "our" way to say "bit" or "bite."
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bait
5. South Midland and Southern U.S.
a. a large or sufficient quantity or amount: He fetched a good bait of wood.
b. an excessive quantity or amount.
Ceili_whistle_man

FJohnSharp wrote:
My mom always used the word 'reading' or 'redding' to mean straightening, as in 'Take a few minutes and read up the house before your friend comes over.'
I am familiar with the term "reddin'" used in nearly the same context as you describe, my Mum used to say she would 'red' the house of something, meaning she was ridding the house of clutter, which may have been something like our toys lying around.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I'm with Jack on this one. It's a mangling of the word "bite".
(Speaking as an olstermun. :wink: )
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Ceili_whistle_man

Who exactly is 'our' in your post, Jack? ....Just to clarify :)
I too think it could be a corruption of bite/bit, but who knows where it came from? It may have originated in the middle east for all I know but I am interested because it is so similar to the Belfast meaning.
Hey, Innocent Bystander...If yerself is a big bahllix from the ancient Kingdom of Ulster, then your avatar must be Jerry Adams!!! :D
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Ceili_whistle_man wrote:Who exactly is 'our' in your post, Jack? ....Just to clarify :)
I too think it could be a corruption of bite/bit, but who knows where it came from? It may have originated in the middle east for all I know but I am interested because it is so similar to the Belfast meaning.
Hey, Innocent Bystander...If yerself is a big bahllix from the ancient Kingdom of Ulster, then your avatar must be Jerry Adams!!! :D
Ballix yerself, Ceili_whistle_man. It's based on a photomagraph of meself. But they shortened the beard for some mad reason. Incompetents!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm

Post by djm »

I have heard people from Armagh use "bate" instead of "beat" as CWM has noted, i.e. "He bate him with a stick." The definition that Wanderer has found seems to be local to that area of the US.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Ceili_whistle_man wrote:Who exactly is 'our' in your post, Jack? ....Just to clarify :)
Me and cowtime...we're from the same place. :P