Reed Making Starter Kit

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tritaffy
antispam: No

Reed Making Starter Kit

Post by tritaffy »

Although I haven't been playing long I'm interested in making reeds. What equipment , books etc do I need to get , to get started in the black arts. I used the search facility and it didn't come up with much. Cheers Mei
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Reed Making Starter Kit

Post by Hans-Joerg »

You might take "the third step before the second" this way: First learn to adjust your reed in any situation - opening/closing the bridle; sliding it a bit up/down. Next : Buy "raw" reeds from Pat Sky and teach yourself how to scrape them properly. If you wanna do everything at once you might end up in a lunatics asylum.
billh

Post by billh »

I think that if you can't attend a local reedmaking workshop, you should purchase the reedmaking DVD from NPU before deciding on a method, tools, etc.
djm

Post by djm »

Lots of reedmaking and pipemaking informatin on the "other" UP forum.

http://uilleannforum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=94

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

I know that CJ Dixon sells a chanter reed making kit.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Nick Whitmer also sells reedmaking supplies. I buy most of my materials from him (cane tubes, mandrels, shooting boards, etc.). Other stuff (sandpaper, teflon tape, etc) I buy from the local hardware.

As for books, read everything you can get your hands on, particularly David Quinn's and Dave Hegarty's books. Also, Evertjan 't Hart has provided a very good website with information on how to make reeds. Seth Gallagher also has a good website with plenty of information on reedmaking. I've not given David Daye's website much study but I imagine it has useful information.

Here's another link to information on reedmaking, provided by our very own Plod.
PJ
mike spencer

Post by mike spencer »

NPU also has reedmaking equipment and is a bit closer to home just over the water.
mike spencer
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

What do you get in a typical reed making kit ?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

The essentials of a reedmaking kit, IMHO, are:

1. Gouge
2. Shooting board
3. Cane tubes
4. Sharp knife*
5. Calipers*
6. Hobby tubing (or brass sheet)
7. Tube cutter (or metal snips)*
8. Mandrels
9. Hemp binding
10. Bees wax
11. 24 gauge copper wire (for bridles)(could also use copper sheet)
12. Sandpaper (180, 320 and 600 grit)*
13. 6" length of 2" diameter pvc pipe (for use as sanding block)*
14. Small hammer*
15. Patience and skill

* Usually available in any hardware
PJ
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

I 'm having trouble finding #15, Where do you buy it ?

RORY
Last edited by rorybbellows on Sun May 04, 2008 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Spartacus .
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Just a suggestion, but Alan Burton (mighty reed guru) lives not too far away in Cornwall, perhaps you could contact him for a little head banging session in reed making. Alan contributes to this board from time to time.

Just a thought.
djm

Post by djm »

It's Captain Arundo! He's alive! Alive, I tell you! :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
PJ

Post by PJ »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:... lives not too far away in Cornwall ...
A bit of a swim from Co. Kerry, though. :wink:

Good to see you're still alive and kicking, Joe.
PJ
tritaffy

Post by tritaffy »

Thanks for the help , I was after a kit list and your advice is really appreciates. I'm lucky enough to go down every couple of months to have a lesson with Alan B. He probably will be doing the reedmaking at the SWAUP Tionol in November so it gives my plenty of time to get the kit together. Plenty of food for thought.
Diolch yn fawr Mei :D
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Words of wisdom (not from me )

So, you're not making reeds. You're learning to make reeds. There's a big difference. The frustration can be reduced considerably by being much more interested in process than in product. Do each task as well as you possibly can. Know that you will probably make mistakes, or that you will overlook something because you haven't learned it yet. If the reed plays, great. It was probably an accident. Don't get used to it. Getting a reed is less important than getting skillful.

There is a way to speed up the process and minimize the frustration. Since reed making is something you learn by doing, do it a lot. It will likely take about a thousand reeds (!) before you feel like you know what you're doing. If you make two reeds a week, those thousand reeds will take you ten years to finish. Too long, don't you think? Two reeds a day, and you're down to a year and a half. Much better. After those thousand reeds, you will start to feel like you aren't drowning any more. Then, we can proceed to actually swimming.

And, there is hope and light at the end of the tunnel. Reed making is not the uilleann pipers curse; it is the uilleann pipers secret weapon. Eventually, you will be able to adjust a reed to suit your situation exactly. Other instrumentalists need expensive additional equipment to make these changes; you can make them in a few seconds with your reed knife. Get to work.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .