composite VS aluminum VS brass ?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
whatzitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by whatzitt »

Once again I'm turning to C&F for advice. I've about saved up for another whistle & I'm pretty sure I'd like it to be a Burke. Possibly a Low D. What are the pluses & minuses in the different materials that they are made in?
Thanks Again!
BillG

Post by BillG »

I have two Burke Low Ds and both are great. One is in aluminum and the other in composite. I think the composite has a bit softer tone and nice overtones when you want 'em. It has a nice 2nd octave and doesn't blow the leaves off the trees to do it. The composite is a tad lighter than the aluminum.

The aluminum is somewhat louder with more powerful overtones - especially on low D. Mine is a bit weak on low E but that may be the nature of E on most whistles. When you get warmed up on the aluminum and IT gets warm it really sings. I'm new to low D and finding I prefer it and the low G (both are Burkes) to most other whistles. Bb is taking a new posture in my den.

Maybe someone else will toot in with some more specific differences to help you out.

BillG

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BillG on 2002-09-03 20:08 ]</font>
BillG

Post by BillG »

I have two Burke Low Ds and both are great. One is in aluminum and the other in composite. I think the composite has a bit softer tone and nice overtones when you want 'em. It has a nice 2nd octave and doesn't blow the leaves off the trees to do it. The composite is a tad lighter than the aluminum.

The aluminum is somewhat louder with more powerful overtones - especially on low D. Mine is a bit weak on low E but that may be the nature of E on most whistles. When you get warmed up on the aluminum and (AL Pro) and IT gets warm it really sings. I'm new to low D and finding I prefer it and the low G (both are Burkes).

Maybe someone else will toot in with some more specific differences to help you out.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
jmadjeski

Post by jmadjeski »

I have a composite low D (EZ), and I have to say the tone is beautiful in a haunting way. It kinda reminds me of a native american pipe. However, I have small hands ans finger, so it is difficult for me to cover the holes, even in the pipers grip. It's a great whistle if you don't have little stumpy hands like mine :smile:

-joe
Don't you hate pants?
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I own 3 low D whistles: a Ralph Cook PVC, Hoover aluminum, and Burke Alpro. All are excellent instruments. The Burke is truly a solid performer. Being in 3 sections, it lends itself to positioning the upper and lower finger hole sections in a manner which allows the whistle to be comfortable for small hands. I play mine with all holes lined up, but know of those who use the alignnment option to great advantage. I agree with BillG in that the low d note is rock solid, with the low e note a slight bit less forward...This is true of all my low D's...The Burke AlPro is a low D that can be truly used in all of its range. I have played some highly regarded instruments that were simply difficult to handle in the upper part of the 2nd octave. To be able to count on an instrument and to feel confident that it is not going to let you down in certain parts of its range is important to me.
All of my Burkes and Hoovers give me this feeling of confidence.
Back pressure on the Alpro Low D is sufficient and air requirements are within normal standards.
Good luck with your purchase.
Cheers.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

My Susato low D doesn't have a noticably weak low E. Niether does my Dixon low D or my silver flute. I don't think a well made instrument should have a problem with a weak low E, or any other specific note. A weak low E will crack on you every time you play with any kind of volume down low. Maybe low E notes are only weak on the louder low D's.

JP

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JohnPalmer on 2002-09-03 23:38 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JohnPalmer on 2002-09-03 23:38 ]</font>
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Weak low E? Since half my favorite songs are in E Dorian/Minor, a solid E is more important that a solid key note on my Low-D. I have an Overton and have had a Susato and Burke. On all three, the only time my low E note has been weak is when I had a poor seal on the finger hole. The finger hole for E is the largest on the whistle and if my hands are dry and a little wrinkled, then my right hand ring finger doesn't seal over the hole as well. I usually just stop and put hand lotion on and the E comes back. I use the 'restoring' kind of lotion that tends to fatten up my fingers and smooth out the wrinkles. The point is that you may want to check and experiment with geting a good seel on the note. With a poor seal, it will tend to jump into the second octave.

Of course your whistle may be different, regardless, I hope you can get past it and ...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2002-09-04 09:46 ]</font>
BillG

Post by BillG »

Lee - thanx for the tip. you're right - it is the largest hole and needs to be fully covered. I just came in from cleaning the pool - fingers dried out and shriveled - ALL notes were jumping all over the scale. Softened them up and tried again. Much better on the low E but still jumps up one earlier than the D or F. I need to work more on this. Don't have the same problem on the composite. I'm onto a Sherlock here.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)