GOING POSTAL!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

GOING POSTAL!

Post by Sillydill »

Just thought I'ld let everyone know. :D

The USPS website was down yesterday, so I couldn't print out mailing labels. So I dug out a bunch of stamps and plastered them all over the box. Today the box came back.

The US POSTAL SERVICE will no longer allow the Courier to accept packages weighing 13 oz. or more; Unless they have a pre-printed postage label! :swear:

Guess I could've sent it in pieces, one per box! :twisted:

Have a Great Weekend! :pint:
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
azw

Post by azw »

Hey, Jordan. I wonder what their reasoning is for that?

Here in MD they also have a sign over the big package drop-off slot inside the PO that says you can't drop large packages into the slot. I think it's the same 13 oz rule. They also threaten to send the package back to you or delay the shipment, as I recall. That rule is supposedly related to terrorism. Evidently, terrorist now have to hand their bombs and poisons to the counter clerk directly.

The only difference I see is that if I go to the counter, the clerk asks me if the package contains explosives or other hazardous materials. I can see how having someone look you in the eye could be a deterrent, but it's minimal. It's not like terrorists would answer the question honestly: "Thanks for asking! Yes, it's a full 2# of ...."

Fear is among the strongest of motivators and this government has used fear-mongering to get its way on a number of issues. So I often wonder if these sorts of rules are an intentional way to reinforce that toxic atmosphere. Another example is the roadside signs that ask us to report suspicious activity. It's an unsubtle reminder to be fearful.

All in all, though, I resist believing the notion that there are Americans sitting in an office somewhere thinking up ways to instill fear in the public.
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

When I received my Olwell Nicholson a few years ago, PO, or someone who works for him, must have used 40 stamps to mail it! They were a whole series of automobile stamps. I still have the box because it has special padding. I thought it a bit eccentric, but fun....

Jeanie
eilam

Post by eilam »

funny, the same with me, and i too saved the box because it was wallpapered with stamps, looks odd in a cool kind of way.
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Funny! :)

I sent an antique flute to Ralph Sweet once that was plastered with stamps. Well it looked like the flute was AWOL! :-?

Then over a month later Ralph emailed to say he had found the flute. His wife had a friend who was collecting stamps and she had put the package aside to get the stamps and forgot about it.

All's Well That Ends Well! :wink:
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

azw wrote:Hey, Jordan. I wonder what their reasoning is for that?

Here in MD they also have a sign over the big package drop-off slot inside the PO that says you can't drop large packages into the slot. I think it's the same 13 oz rule. They also threaten to send the package back to you or delay the shipment, as I recall. That rule is supposedly related to terrorism. Evidently, terrorist now have to hand their bombs and poisons to the counter clerk directly.

The only difference I see is that if I go to the counter, the clerk asks me if the package contains explosives or other hazardous materials. I can see how having someone look you in the eye could be a deterrent, but it's minimal. It's not like terrorists would answer the question honestly: "Thanks for asking! Yes, it's a full 2# of ...."

Fear is among the strongest of motivators and this government has used fear-mongering to get its way on a number of issues. So I often wonder if these sorts of rules are an intentional way to reinforce that toxic atmosphere. Another example is the roadside signs that ask us to report suspicious activity. It's an unsubtle reminder to be fearful.

All in all, though, I resist believing the notion that there are Americans sitting in an office somewhere thinking up ways to instill fear in the public.
It is a new policy for counter terrorism, I guess if it is under 13 oz it won't blow up as much...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

azw wrote:Hey, Jordan. I wonder what their reasoning is for that?

Heck, who knows? there may be an office of fear and panic in the post office. It ain't convenient, but it is a method to deter bombers. The unabomber sent all of his packages prestamped, etc so nobody got a look at him posting them. I guess they hope that somebody can eyeball a prospective bomber. It doesn't make anybody I know fearful, just aggravated.
azw

Post by azw »

Hey, Ronbo, Are you still doing time for that one? (Your profile image fits!)
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

azw wrote:Hey, Ronbo, Are you still doing time for that one? (Your profile image fits!)
That's a copy from the album aqualung. I guess its a picture of him. And yes, I am much better looking than my avatar. My profile is an entire lie.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Jon C. wrote: It is a new policy for counter terrorism...
Postal terror is even more effective when they don't tell you the secret 'gotcha!' rules while you're standing at the counter. Instead, they accept the package, wait a while, and send it back to you.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

s1m0n wrote:
Jon C. wrote: It is a new policy for counter terrorism...
Postal terror is even more effective when they don't tell you the secret 'gotcha!' rules while you're standing at the counter. Instead, they accept the package, wait a while, and send it back to you.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
azw

Post by azw »

Counter terrorism: the new customer service!

I love it, Jon!
daiv

Post by daiv »

although it does sound fun and magical to cover a box in stamps, did anyone ever think that they dont want to have to count all those stamps and it would be much easier to just scan a bar/box code?
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Hoovorff wrote:When I received my Olwell Nicholson a few years ago, PO, or someone who works for him, must have used 40 stamps to mail it! They were a whole series of automobile stamps. I still have the box because it has special padding. I thought it a bit eccentric, but fun....

Jeanie
Same here - you couldn't see the box for all the stamps. It was a Pratten, tough.
/Bloomfield