WTB: good polymer, pvc, plastic flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
azw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

WTB: good polymer, pvc, plastic flute

Post by azw »

I'm looking for a good, reasonably-priced polymer, pvc, or plastic flute. In order of preference I'd be interested in a Jon C., Copley, M&E, maybe a Seery, or ??. I'm tending toward a R&R, but would consider other options.

I've got a nice Casey Burns that SillyDill helped me locate. (Thanks, Jordan!). Now I'd like to have something I can leave in one piece and pick up when I get a few minutes to play during the day.

Please contact me if you have one for sale or know of one for sale. I'm not in a huge hurry, so if you've got something you'd like to sell down the road, that might work, too.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Guinness

Post by Guinness »

There is an M&E and a couple of Dixons on eBay. M&E is pretty good, but haven't tried the Dixons though.
azw

Post by azw »

Thanks for the leads! (I've also had one PM.)

I've considered both the M&E Guinness pointed out and the Seery KKrell noted. I've got a Dixon one-piece by my desk. It's is okay but the cylindrical aspect makes fingering awkward.

The M&E is a little more tempting and I'd try a Seery for the right price, but neither calls to me as strongly as a Copley or Jon C.

Of course, it's not like I've played on lots of different flutes. Most of the attraction I'm feeling is based on what I've read here on the forum. I've been studying old messages for several weeks now.
irish69

Post by irish69 »

Dixon also makes conical bored flutes. You should look into these possibly. I haven't played one, so I cant attest to their quality, but one of these might fit your need.
"Without music, life would be an error."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Cork

Re: WTB: good polymer, pvc, plastic flute

Post by Cork »

azw wrote:I'm looking for a good, reasonably-priced polymer, pvc, or plastic flute. In order of preference I'd be interested in a Jon C., Copley, M&E, maybe a Seery, or ??. I'm tending toward a R&R, but would consider other options.

I've got a nice Casey Burns that SillyDill helped me locate. (Thanks, Jordan!). Now I'd like to have something I can leave in one piece and pick up when I get a few minutes to play during the day.

Please contact me if you have one for sale or know of one for sale. I'm not in a huge hurry, so if you've got something you'd like to sell down the road, that might work, too.
I see what you're asking for, yet apparently that includes something which you could pick up and play for a few minutes at a time without having to take apart. Well, let me suggest a Sweetheart Irish flute, http://www.sweetheartflute.com , not the newer Resonance model but the older, and currently available, Irish flute, in cherry wood. Yup, the Irish flute, with its threaded tenon, can take such abuse without complaint, and still be a joy to play!
azw

Post by azw »

Hi, Cork,

That's interesting. Are threaded tendons less at risk of cracking if left assembled? My Casey Burns uses thread to seal the joints.
Cork

Post by Cork »

azw wrote:Hi, Cork,

That's interesting. Are threaded tendons less at risk of cracking if left assembed? My Casey Burns uses thread to seal the joints.
Any tenon, corked or threaded, could cause cracking and/or deformation of the wood.

However, in regard to your stated requirements, as above, I have a fair amount of experience with thread wrapped Sweetheart flutes, and likely due to the way Sweetheart makes those flutes (see Edit, below), I have never had any troubles with them.

Edit: It seems that Sweetheart uses some sort of wood sealing oil, perhaps tung oil, or something like that, which includes some sort of sealer, to effectively keep water out of the wood. I've sometimes kept a Sweetheart Irish flute assembled for weeks at a time, while playing it on a daily basis, and I've never had any cracking troubles.

BTW, I have Casey Burns flutes, too. However, unlike the Sweetheart thread wrapped flutes, I never leave my CB flutes assembled when not in use.
Last edited by Cork on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

azw wrote:Hi, Cork,

That's interesting. Are threaded tendons less at risk of cracking if left assembled? My Casey Burns uses thread to seal the joints.
Thread lapping will strengthen the tenon, but the thing that helps the most with sockets, are to have a properly fitted ring. It is always a good idea to store the flute disassembled, and swab or blow out any condisation that may accumulate in the bore and socket. The tenon expands when it gets humdified, and will stress the socket.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
azw

Post by azw »

Thanks for the answers, Cork and Jon.

Jon, do metal rings on Delrin flutes help in any way besides aesthetics?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

While I'm not Jon - metal rings on a delrin/polymer flute are purely aethetic in nature. That said, I personally don't like the look of any flute without some form of rings.

Eric
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

https://www.irishflutestore.com/newsite ... 1=55&c2=65
The last one sure looks awesome.

I've heard very good opinions about these as well http://www.forbesflutes.com/
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Art,

I played Cathy Wild's Forbes flute last summer at Augusta and was very impressed. FWIW, Kevin Crawford played it as well, and I didn't know if he was going to give it back or not, :D . They're nice flutes, and about as worry-free as you can get, even to the point of having O-rings on the tenons instead of thread or cork.

I'd buy one, but then I'd have to hide it and make up a lie about where the money went, lol.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Cork

Post by Cork »

dow wrote:Art,

I played Cathy Wild's Forbes flute last summer at Augusta and was very impressed. FWIW, Kevin Crawford played it as well, and I didn't know if he was going to give it back or not, :D . They're nice flutes, and about as worry-free as you can get, even to the point of having O-rings on the tenons instead of thread or cork.

I'd buy one, but then I'd have to hide it and make up a lie about where the money went, lol.
About the Forbes Delrin flute, I'll second that. I got one last year, put it together once, and haven't taken it apart since then, no problem! The flute's doing just fine, but I know I really should take it apart and give it a good cleaning, and I'm beginning to feel somewhat guilty about that.

Beyond that, if Kevin Crawford could approve of the Forbes flute, then just what could I add to the conversation, eh?
Last edited by Cork on Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny

Post by Denny »

on the other hand :evil:
the Forbes is a Pratten
the Copley is at least in between

tough, innit!