Which Spelling Is Correct? (The Little Red Fox)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Here's another question for the Irish speaking members of this forum.
I've seen two different spellings of "The Little Red Fox", and I would really like to know which is correct.
"Maidrin Rua" or "An Maidrin Ruadh"?
The reason I'm asking is that I want to be sure to spell it correctly on the CD I'm presently recording.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
And by the way, is my signature spelled correctly? :wink:
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Seanduine

Post by Seanduine »

Ruadh is the old way of spelling rua. So "The little fox" in modern Irish spelling is "An maidrín rua". Why the little "red" fox? The Irish for fox is simply "red dog".
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

On 2002-08-31 03:48, Seanduine wrote:
Ruadh is the old way of spelling rua. So "The little fox" in modern Irish spelling is "An maidrín rua". Why the little "red" fox? The Irish for fox is simply "red dog".
Thanks for the info Seanduine.
I had read that the Irish for "fox" was "red dog" or "little red dog".
I've also seen the tune in question translated as both "The Little Fox" and "The Little Red Fox", so I was quite confused.
Since I came up with such varied results from Internet searches, I figured I'd better ask someone who would know for sure.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits