mellow smallpipes

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Holly

mellow smallpipes

Post by Holly »

Hi!

New neighbours and my highland bagpipes are not a good combination. LOL!

I'm looking for smallpipes. (Highland fingersetting.)

I'm all for a warm mellow sound.

Someone adviced me:
Gibson Kaylee KL3A pipes or the Walsh A2000 small pipes.

I would love to have some input from the members here.

Thanks!!
wgority
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by wgority »

Both the Gibson and the Walsh are very good choices.
Pipers Gathering--More Fun, More Music
August 1-4, 2008 in Killington, VT
http://www.pipersgathering.org
Jose' Scotte' Este'
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

I am wondering if the reed has more to do with tone/volume than the particular make? I can't recommend against any particular maker, although my experience is that plastic reeds can have a somewhat more harsh sound. I can recommend Alec Smith (Lauriebeck.com) as he is excellent to work with and his pipes are fabulous, although I can't say for sure that his pipes have a warmer tone than others. Maybe you can try out some various makes before you decide. Good luck.
"Luck is important"
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

Gibson Fireside pipes look like the Highland pipe (3 drones over the shoulder)
with exactly same fingering.
It sounds just a little louder than a practice chanter, plus all the drones are switchable on/off.
demon_piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Smallpipes

Post by demon_piper »

Ok, having played smallpipes for a few years in various bands and gigs, here's my two cents.

If that is your price range. Go Walsh all the way. I played a set for 5 years and they are an excellent pipe, great sound, good volume, no maintenance. Plus a beautiful tone.

I've played Gibson Ceilidh, the issues I ran into were, maintenance, they can require a bit. Tone, not as bright as you'd want in a smallpipe, reeds a little more troublesome. Bag and blow pipe less comfortable.

Now, this being said, John Walsh will also customize smallpipes. Here's another two cents. If you are a smallpipe beginner, consider an alto or second tenor drone over the baritone. The baritone drone causes some temperament/ tuning issues with the C on the chanter. AKA sounds crappy. Whereas an alto (e above tenor) sounds lovely and doesn't have this issue. Most border pipes have this pattern. Or just get a second tenor like highland pipes.

I currently play a lovely little set of Fisher smallpipes that I'm just getting running well. He's based in Ontario, and offers several different models. These are louder than Walsh's though, which is something I wanted for performance.

Best of luck with you adventure in smallpipes! You'll love them!