The Red Wellies---pipes and fiddle

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
patsky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Red Wellies---pipes and fiddle

Post by patsky »

I have been playing Irish music for over thirty years and I have heard many times the argument that only the Irish can play REAL Irish music. This point of view overlooks the fact that Irish music has been in America for over 200 years and the Uilleann pipes have been here for most likely 150 years.

It is also disappointing to me that American Irish music lovers themselves will give in to nationalism and flock to see and praise really bad Irish players just as long as they are actually from Ireland, while ignoring very good Irish musicians from America.

This brings me to the “Red Wellies” a trio of fine Irish Traditional musicians operating out of Asheville, North Carolina. Fiddler Claudine Odell (her friends and family call her “Beanie”) is a highly respected Irish fiddle teacher and has studied with some of the greats, such as Tommy Peoples and Martin Hayes. Her young nephew, Duncan Wickel, plays fiddle and pipes. I first met Duncan when he was thirteen and he was playing the pipes with great maturity even at his young age; his fiddle playing was just as good. Now that he is grown, he is a superb traditional musician. Accompanying the fiddlers is a very fine Irish-born bouzouki player -- Vincent Fogarty. They are joined on some of the tunes by Aaron Olwell, a fantastic musician who plays flute and concertina.

Without going into a very detailed review let me say that this is the best fiddle duet CD since the Kane sisters’ “The Well Tempered Bow” and it is just as good: beautiful arrangements of great tunes, with fine technique and solid rhythm. In short, this is about as good as it gets.

My wife Cathy and I went to see them last night at their CD release party at Jack O’ The Woods in downtown Asheville. They were joined by Aaron Olwell, a fantastic musician who plays flute, concertina, fiddle…and who knows what else? The music was first class.

Here is their Email address: theredwellies@yahoo.com.com

Hear them on Myspace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =230943408

All the best,
Patrick Sky
Pipes, Reeds and free information on my website: http://www.patricksky.com
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: The Red Wellies---pipes and fiddle

Post by PJ »

patsky wrote:... the Uilleann pipes have been here for most likely 150 years.
I've a book on St. Patrick's Day celebrations in Quebec city which refers to a Union Piper called McNally in in the city in 1835.
PJ
jdevereux

Post by jdevereux »

I've a book on St. Patrick's Day celebrations in Quebec city which refers to a Union Piper called McNally in in the city in 1835.
...because that's relevant...

As Pat said, Beanie, Duncan, Vincent and Aaron are all extremely good musicians. They put on a great show last night, and I would encourage any one and everyone to check out their music.
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

.... removed by writer with apologies all around.
Last edited by jqpublick on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Harrison

Post by Ed Harrison »

I agree with Pat and Jack,

Beanie, Duncan, Vincent and Aaron are very talented Irish musicians.

Their music is of the best.

...... Ed
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Beanie and Vincent (no Duncan, alas) were up here at our little Eminence Irish Festival last fall. They are wonderful; I'm so happy their CD is finally out and am ordering it right away. They have such love and care for the music it's breathtaking. I liken their overall sound/feel to what happens when I hear the Mulcahys, Diarmuid O'Brien and some of the other just plain achingly beautiful players ... it really is so lovely I get a pang (but a happy pang).

Jeff Thomas (concertina) and Turlach Boylan (flute) sat in with them a bit last fall, too -- absolutely magical. I'm already after them for a CD with that lineup!

Anyway, glad it's out. Off to order. THANKS!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.