Casey Burns or Terry McGee?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Valeriapiper

Casey Burns or Terry McGee?

Post by Valeriapiper »

Hi!
I wrote a message about playing irish flute with small hands some days ago and I see that both Casey Burns and Terry McGee have a model of flute for small hands. I haven't saw other names, but now I'm asking: which is the better one?
I was thinking to get a keyless flute or, at least with one or two keys, but it's quite expensive and I'm jut thinking, at the moment :D Maybe I'll buy a flute with just the tuning slide. What maker do you prefer?

Another question: what do you think about the Casey Burns' folk flute? I need a professional flute, and I can't understand in which it's different from the other models.

Thank you so much!
Irish Marine
antispam: No

Flute

Post by Irish Marine »

I think you'll find that you'll receive differing opinions. Both makers have excellent reputations. I've heard a McGee played by an accomplished player in person, and it sounded great. I've never played one myself though.

I do play Casey Burns flutes. For the price, you can't beat a folk flute. It's extremely well made, has great volume, it is tuneable to a degree as it has a long tenon (33mm I think, but Casey would know better of course!), and is responsive. I love it and I think you'll find that people that own love it as well. It's a great way to get started.
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

ciao, è sempre un piacere trovare compaesani in forum inglesi :D

Forse è una domanda stupida, ma hai dato un'occhiata ai loro siti?
Considera anche che flauti di questo genere si possono rivendere molto facilmente. E informati sulla lista di attesa, in alcuni casi può superare l'anno.

Ricorda che il folk flute di Casey è senza tuning slide, ma non dubito che considerando il prezzo (e il fatto che si può rivendere facilmente) è un'ottimo strumento, anche se chiaramente spendendo di più ne puoi trovare di migliori.

Entrambi i maker sono utenti attivi (soprattutto Terry) del forum, forse ti potranno dare dei suggerimenti.

Buona fortuna,
Othannen

PS: sorry if i wrote in italian, i just wanted to do it at least once, there aren't many italians on the forum :D
Irish Marine

Huh?

Post by Irish Marine »

:-?
I love the sound of Italian, but I can't read it. Sorry.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

:lol: don't worry, i didn't say much :wink:
In her first post (on another topic) Valeriapiper said that she's from italy, so i guess she will understand what i wrote.
Anyway don't worry, i won't post in italian anymore :D
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I think I get the gist of Othannen's post in Italian - good advice! (Too much listening along to operas with the libretti parallel texts in hand, plus a background in Latinate languages......!)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Irish Marine

???

Post by Irish Marine »

Can you guys fill in the rest of us as it may help others that are in the same spot. I can understand some of the words from some of my days studying spanish, but I'm afraid I missed some things. Thanks in advance.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

As being italian, you might want to go with an european maker to save taxes and duties. Eamonn Cotter, George Ormiston and Gilles Lehart for example are making flutes that sound great, are easy on the hands and come with a reasonable wait (especially Lehart flutes). This doesn't mean that Terry and Casey make bad flutes - I played both and loved both!
Valeriapiper

translation of the italian message

Post by Valeriapiper »

I'll translate Othannen's message:

"It's always a pleasure to find people from Italy in an english forum!
Have you visited the web sites of the flute makers you are considering? You should consider that you can re-sell this kind of flutes very easily and you should consider the waiting lists too.
Remember that the folk flute by Casey is without tuning slide, but I'm sure that, considering the price and the fact that it can be re-sold very easily it's a very good instrument, even if it's obvious that if you buy a more expensive one, it's better.
Both the makers are active in the forum (above all Terry) and maybe you can ask him something more.

Good luck

Othannen"

I hope that this translation has been useful!

Thanks a lot

Valeria
Valeriapiper

Eamonn Cotter

Post by Valeriapiper »

I can't find an email :)
jemtheflute

Re: Eamonn Cotter

Post by jemtheflute »

Valeriapiper wrote:I can't find an email :)
Doesn't look like he has one. Or at least, not publicised. Here's the conventional contact info for him from Brad Hurley's listing:
Eamonn Cotter
Balleen, Kilmaley
Co Clare, Ireland
Tel/Fax: +353-65-68-39141
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

:lol:
yes, the translation is quite right, even if in english i would have probably chosen different words :)
irish69
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by irish69 »

While I have never played a Burns flute, I have the McGee GLP and it is wonderful. A few things to consider:
1. Keys- I don't know what Casey's policy is on keys, but I do know that Terry can add keys onto a keyless flute after a period of time. I founnd this atteactive because I could spend the money on the keyless and then invest in keys later. Some makers cannot add keys after the fact.

2. Importing- You should see which one will be able to send it to you the easiest. Both makers ship around the world, so I'm sure its possible. Depending on their country of origin, one might have less export to pay.

3. Folk Flute- If you want to get keys eventually I would not go with he folk flute. The whole idea with this is that they are made to be very good flutes, with a low price. Because of this there are no tuning slides or keys. You also cannot upgrade or add any other options to this flute.
"Without music, life would be an error."
Friedrich Nietzsche
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Exchange Rates

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Ordering from the states at the moment has two aspects to consider:

1. Will you get hit for taxes and Duty when the flute is imported? Not an issue if you can find someone to hand carry the flute and then post it from within the EU, but otherwise a potentially nasty surprise. VAT in Germany is 19%! For an expensive flute with keys, it is almost cheaper to fly out there yourself and collect it!
2. The US Dollar is very cheap compared to the Euro right now which makes lots of US makers suddenly a lot more attractive price wise.

I have flutes from both makers (Folk flute and GLP) and I am very happy with both.

Good luck,

Chris.
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

Can someone post measurements from a McGee flute for comparison purposes? Measurements for my Casey Burns small hand flute (in cm from the end of the flute) are: