It's been a rough winter...

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
roj
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have been a member since '07. Just changing my home town in the profile from Austin to FBG, Tx. j.r.

Post by roj »

Has anyone else had a tough time with flu bugs this winter? I've had two bronchial/flu episodes, one for the entire month of December, and another recently for two weeks.

It's almost impossible to play under such conditions, but just as difficult is the fact that it breaks my routine. When I can finally breathe again without coughing up lung tissue, I have to overcome inertia all over again to get back into some semblance of a practise regimen.

Boy, it's been a rough winter.
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

I've got flu or cold symptoms right now, and it seems to have started in the lungs. Hurts to cough. I've got a bunch of upcoming gigs, and I will be getting rid of it in the next few days. I feel it running its course. Don't tell me it'll take weeks.

My wife's sister in Ireland had a bad cough which turned into a mild case of pneumonia during our visit recently.

I had a customer today who said he had bronchitis recently.
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I currently work at a very large upscale health club (7000 or so members) so I'm around people all day, and I get to know many of them. This year I've seen more people sick with the flu than any year I can remember. Even more notable is that that many folks are getting quite sick from this year's worst flu strain which is Brisbane/10 I believe. This wasn't included in the Northern Hemisphere flu vaccine this year, so a flu shot didn't help.

Most of my clients have gotten the flu already and many have been sick enough that they had to miss 2 weeks or more of training (which is killing me financially). 4 of my clients so far got sick enough that they had to go to the hospital. Now that's bad. For many folks, there seems to be a very long lasting cough that lingers for over a month as well. Lots of hacking going on around here in Boston.

I did get some version of the flu, but I was still functional, so I think I didn't get the Brisbane/10 strain, thankfully.

Definitely a bad flu year around here.

Loren
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I've seen a lot of sick people. I must be the carrier. I haven't been sick at all (oh no, now I've jinxed myself) and I even flew in planes and everything this winter.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I lucked out a few years ago, and my doctor caught my pneumonia before I had to be hospitalized or died. It most likely came from a flu (I'd seen a doc-in-the-box two days earlier).

I will never not get a flu shot again. I figured I was healthy and in shape and had never had a serious flu before, but I came very close to dying. A single flu shot may not have helped, but many years of flu shots will give at least partial immunity to most strains. My wife worked in hospitals for many years and had to get shots, and she hasn't had the flu since I've known her.

Oh, and according to my doctor, the nasal flu vaccine has stronger cross-reactivity than shots. Not sure if it's even available any more.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Its early autumn down under.
I have had this thing that comes and goes for several weeks now.
Tomorrow I am going to have my second blood test to see if I have
Ross River Fever which I may have got because I was bitten by pernicious mosquities when I was camping at the edge of a sub tropical rain forest on one of my tours up in the North country.

The worst thing is when I feel nauseous for hours on end and I feel like there is a lump of mucous at the back of my throat somewhere up deep in my sinuses. It really saps my energy for any activity other than reflective stuff like scrying the landscape, talking and reading or listening to music. I don't watch much TV.

I hope you have enjoyed some of my recent reflective posts. I know they made me feel better.

Bon Sante!
:)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Everything has risks: This years flu shot gave my roomate's father Bell's Palsy. Not fun.

Personally, I'm glad I skipped the shot.

Loren
roj
Tell us something.: Have been a member since '07. Just changing my home town in the profile from Austin to FBG, Tx. j.r.

Post by roj »

When you do get a bug like this, how bad does it throw you off your game?

And is it hard for you to get back into practising?
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

I've been sick for most of this year. I still have a cough. And I've still played every day and recorded all my clips with cough, congestion, asthma off and on. Low grade stuff but I'm still far from 100%.

FWIW--I think, though, that it can have an upside: due to limited air supply, I have to be as economical and focused as possible. It forces me to make the most of my energy and air. A former roommate of mine, probably the greatest jazz bassoon player in the world (Paul Hanson, look him up) who was/is just a phenomenal musician, woodwind player (one year I bumped into him and he said he had been touring Europe playing clarinet in a Klezmer band--I didn't even know he played clarinet or Klezmer) has really bad, chronic asthma who said the same thing when he had a bad cold/flu--it can be a great time to practice to learn to make the most out of the least. Well, he could circular breathe which helped on the reed instruments. We, I'm afraid, don't have that luxury.
cocusflute

Post by cocusflute »

Flu is why every flute player should play concertina, - or some other instrument not powered by lung.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
norcalbob

Post by norcalbob »

I've been fortunate so far this year to avoid that nasty respiratory bug that seemingly hangs on forever. I get a flu shot every year now, and I try to wash my hand frequently. Several years ago, I got pneumonia and it kicked my butt, and have no idea how I got exposed to it. I guess it's just out there.

My son, who attends UC Santa Cruz, has been sick most of the winter quarter. He was becoming a regular at the campus health clinic, and they had him on antibiotics and cough medicine with codiene. He called one day and just sounded so sick, and when he told me he was coughing up blood, I went and got him and brought him back to his family doc. The doc said his lungs sounded like someone with acute asthma and put him on Prednisone. He's much better now but can't shake the cough completely.

Man, I feel for you folks if you've got that crud. Now, my wife has come down wife the endless cough thing, and I work in a setting where I come into contact with lots of people. So far my luck has been good...maybe I should head for Reno. :wink:
Bob

Come to the edge/ It's too high/ Come to the edge/ We might fall/ Come to the edge/ And we came/ And he pushed/ And we flew!
Guillaume Apollinaire
Aerowhip

Post by Aerowhip »

Four days of fever now and counting. I don't have the energy to hold up my flute, let alone blow into it. I've never had the flu before, and I have new respect for what it can do. It is indeed a butt-kicker!
AnthonyBeers

Post by AnthonyBeers »

I have been blessed to not catch a cold since I left cold damp beautiful PA, but I am on the tail end of my third case of malaria. My lungs are fine but everything else feels like it got hit by a sledgehammer.
Estamos Juntos
phlute626

Post by phlute626 »

Here in Illinois we've got it too. I teach in a primary and JH school and get coughed on, breathed on, and germ ridden high 5's all the time - missed it so far although both my little ones got it. Around here it lasts for 2-3 weeks!

Hypothetical question since we all seem to push on no matter how we feel.... You're not up to par, but you practice anyway not knowing you're contagious and then next day come down with something truly nasty - what do you do with your contaminated wood flute?! Can you clean it or just leave it alone?
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

I had the flu really bad last winter and was out for most of January and February and into March. I got really behind on flute orders and all year it has been a game of catching up.

Add to that has been some chronic stuff that knocks me flat with flu-like symptoms about every fourth week on average. These started two years ago. After tons of tests we finally figured out that I am fighting Lyme Disease, usually caught from a tick bite. All of this has slowed my production. Hopefully the antibiotics I am taking will cure this but its going to take time, as these flu-like episodes continue despite being on antibiotics for two months. May take up to a year or more of this therapy. In the meantime I have been suffering from one of these episodes since Wednesday, and mostly hiding under a blanket.

Fortunately, my clients have been most patient! Thank you everyone!

Get well everyone!
Casey