Chieftains & the David Munnelly Band

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
norcalbob

Chieftains & the David Munnelly Band

Post by norcalbob »

The Chieftains recently performed in LA, San Rafael, and Modesto, California, during their current USA tour. As many of you may know, Matt and Sean were unfortunately not present because of personal family health concerns, and many people who went to these concerts were disappointed not to see them. Evidently, the Gallo Center for the Performing Arts in Modesto received a lot complaints as to why people weren't informed of this ahead of time. Here is an article from the Modest Bee newspaper:

http://www.modbee.com/columnists/mooney ... 25869.html

I had tickets to see the Modesto show which is about a one and a half hour drive from our home. But it was storming like crazy in Northern California the night of the show, and since I had heard on this forum from members who were surprised and disappointed from the LA show two days earlier, and since my son came home unexpectedly from college for the weekend because he was sick with a virus, my wife and I skipped the show.

I just received this gracious offer from the Gallo Center in response to all the unhappy Chieftain fans: They are offering a 2 for 1 ticket sale to anyone who had previously bought tickets to the Cheiftains concert for their upcoming St. Pat's Celebration Concert featuring The David Munnelly Band. This band recently received liveireland.com's Concert of the Year Award, and their singer, Shauna Mullin, won Newcomer of the Year Award. Here are a couple of video links for them:

http://www.liveireland.com/news_awards08.shtml

http://www.galloarts.org/Events/Video_D ... ly_YT.aspx

Sounds like it might be a fun evening. Anyone seen this group before?
Bob

Come to the edge/ It's too high/ Come to the edge/ We might fall/ Come to the edge/ And we came/ And he pushed/ And we flew!
Guillaume Apollinaire
Dr Funkenstein
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dr Funkenstein »

Yup, I've seen the Munnelly band several times at the Milwaukee Irish Fest and when they've been in the area since. They are fantastic, probably one of the best live bands in Irish music touring today. Kieran (Dave's brother) is a great flute player and definitely should not be missed.

--Jeff
-----------------------------------------------------------
Bionn áthas orainn!
http://www.athasmusic.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/athas

éist!
http://cdbaby.com/cd/hullksiazek
Aanvil
antispam: No

Post by Aanvil »

I'm still pissed about the LA show.

I do feel cheated. I paid a helluva lot more that 55 bucks.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
norcalbob

Post by norcalbob »

Aanvil wrote:I'm still pissed about the LA show.

I doubt that the Disney Center would make a similar conciliatory offer to the folks who went to the LA concert - too big an operation to be as sensitive and responsive as a smaller venue like the Gallo Center.
Bob

Come to the edge/ It's too high/ Come to the edge/ We might fall/ Come to the edge/ And we came/ And he pushed/ And we flew!
Guillaume Apollinaire
irish69

Post by irish69 »

They were at the Catskills Arts Week this summer but I missed them. I have spoken with people who saw the band and I've heard that they're great.
"Without music, life would be an error."
Friedrich Nietzsche
cocusflute

Post by cocusflute »

Doesn't turn me on. Dave M. can sure play fast, and the fiddler is a good jumper. Pretty athletic, and it does make a good show. The singer there sang flat more than once. I wouldn't buy the CD and I surely would not pay $55 to hear them even if they were all there.

It certainly isn't anything I would aspire to.
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Aanvil wrote:I'm still pissed about the LA show.

We still had a good time, it was the perfect concert for my cork friend, that hated Irish music! He was sat next to gregarious 300 pound Dublin lady, who kept calling him "Cork Boy", "ya like that Cork boy?" That was more fun then the concert! Especially when he told her he was a monk... Then it turned into, "pray for me father..." :oops:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Corkboy!

:P
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

I saw the DM band at the Newport, RI Irish festival last year, and their live show was nothing short of spectacular. I bought two of their CDs as well, one studio, and one live (recorded at the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield, Kansas), and the live CD, by far, is preferable. They put so much energy into their show, it's impossible not to get caught up in it.

Highly recommended.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|