Kerry slides

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

I have a Chieftains CD -- The Chieftains Collection, the Very Best of the Claddagh Years, volume 2 -- that has on track one a set called simply "Kerry Slides." Does anyone familiar with this piece know the names of the three or four individual slides that make up this set. The liner notes do not give the individual tunes in this set.

This piece originally appeared in 1989 on Claddagh's "The Chieftains Live" album.

Thanks.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I think they're usually just called Kerry slides. If they have individual names, I haven't heard them. Pretty standard session fare, I think.
/Bloomfield
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

I'm not sure what the definition of a "Slide" is but I like them. "O'Keeffes", "Art O'Keefes", "Jim Keefes" are all great music. "Sweeney's" is a great piece that may also be a slide. A long time ago I heard "Kerry Slides"...can't remember how the track went, except that it was great music. If you have any luck please let us know.
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

I'm not sure what the definition of a "Slide" is but I like them. "O'Keeffes", "Art O'Keefes", "Jim Keefes" are all great music. "Sweeney's" is a great piece that may also be a slide. A long time ago I heard "Kerry Slides"...can't remember how the track went, except that it was great music. If you have any luck please let us know.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

"Slide" is a regional term for single jig (12/8 time), if I got that right.
/Bloomfield
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

And some of those "slides" I mentioned earlier are actually polkas.
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

And some of those "slides" I mentioned earlier are actually polkas.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

OK -- I'm doing it the hard way. I searched JC's ABC tune finder using just "slide" ("Kerry Slide" only gave me two tunes --Muskerry slides 1 and 2) and I got over 300 hits, although there are multiple hits per tune. So I'm going through them one at a time.

The first slide in the set is Jack kelly's Slide; the last one is either Denis Murphy's Slide or Gleanntan Slide (They seem to be about the same).

Now it's back to work on the middle part. I have to go listen to it more carefully and figure out whether there is one or two more to identify.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

On 2002-08-28 16:46, Bloomfield wrote:
"Slide" is a regional term for single jig (12/8 time), if I got that right.
I am reliably informed that slides are NOT the same thing as single jigs; they're just similar.

Not that I understand the difference. My impression is that it has more to do with the style of playing than the meter.

Gonzo, it sounds like you've got a live version of the last track of Chieftains 3 there, in which case the middle tune is "Merrily Kiss the Quaker".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: colomon on 2002-08-28 23:22 ]</font>
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Jigs = 6/8 time.

Slides are played more like a double jig I believe, at any rate, generally faster and with more drive than single jigs, hop jigs or slip jigs.

Almost like the love child between a single jig, and a reel.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

That's it! -- Merrily Kiss the Quaker. Thanks, colomon; you saved me a mess of looking because I was getting ready to start over at the top of the list.

It has three parts instead of just two, which is why I wasn't sure if it was one or two tunes.

And now it's off to the work of learning them for gonzo, but it's going to take a lot of practice because these things are really, really fast.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-08-28 23:30, Brian Lee wrote:
Jigs = 6/8 time.
Double jigs = 6/8 (Kesh Jig)
Slip jigs = 9/8 (Kid on the Mountain)
Single jigs (Slides?) = 12/8 (Merrily Kiss the Quaker's Wife)

Or did I get that wrong, Brian?

Query: Half Jig = 24/8? :smile:
/Bloomfield
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

My understanding:

Single jig = 6/8 time with many quarter-note then eight-note beats, so that the whole thing has a "YAAAH-duh YAAAH-duh" feel to it.

Double jig = 6/8 time with mostly groups of three eighth notes beats, so that the thing has a "YAH-duh-duh YAH-duh-duh" feel.

Slip or hop jig = 9/8 time, usually played a little slower and more laid back than single or double jigs (though there are exceptions).

Slides = 12/8 time, like a double-jig only with a stronger accent on the first beat of each measure and a somewhat weaker accent on the third beat of each measure.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-08-29 10:31, peeplj wrote:
My understanding:

Single jig = 6/8 time with many quarter-note then eight-note beats, so that the whole thing has a "YAAAH-duh YAAAH-duh" feel to it.
The difference between 6/8 and 12/8 is a matter of stress, I think, where the "first beat" goes, giving you either 2 or 4 beats per measure. If we agree that Merrily Kiss the Quaker's Wife is a single jig, try listening for the stresses in a good recording (I seem to recall Seamus Ennis doing it, or perhaps Liam O'Flynn/Planxty is more accessible). Let me know how you hear it.
/Bloomfield
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

On 2002-08-29 12:20, Bloomfield wrote:
If we agree that Merrily Kiss the Quaker's Wife is a single jig...
Someone doesn't agree -- note that it is in the middle of a set called "Kerry Slides". :smile: