Memorizing tunes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Memorizing tunes

Post by Bothrops »

This week I've been trying to learn 3 or 4 tunes at the same time (with sheets music). Generally, when learning a tune, I play it a lot of times and then it gets "fixed" in my mind/fingers so I can play it from memory with no problems.
Of those 3-4 tunes I've been learning, I could learn and memorize 1 perfectly, the same day I learnt it (ok, it was a national anthem, a very easy one) and I could learn and memorize quite well another one (a reel).
I'm having troubles memorizing the other ones, and not only that.. when I decide to take a break and try to play another tunes I already know, sometimes I make many mistakes, as if I were forgetting the older ones, LOL!
I think my "hard disk" is full. I don't know a lot of tunes, maybe about 50, and I've been playing for 6~ months now.

Is it normal? Do I need a new brain? Is it possible to memorize perfectly 100, 200 or 500 tunes?

Share your experiences! :)

Regards,
Martin
Last edited by Bothrops on Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taity

Post by taity »

sounds like me sometime i get lost half way through a tune and end up playing another :lol:
http://sargclub.co.uk/

Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!
Enclose

Post by Enclose »

not a lot? I find 50 a lot haha. But then again I'm only just starting and I only know about 8 tunes. I only learn about 1 or 2 new ones per week right now.

Suffice to say I don't have the problem of forgetting the old ones yet :p
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Enclose wrote:not a lot? I find 50 a lot haha. But then again I'm only just starting and I only know about 8 tunes. I only learn about 1 or 2 new ones per week right now.

Suffice to say I don't have the problem of forgetting the old ones yet :p
This is addictive. When I started playing I was also new to ITM so I used to find a lot of tunes that I really liked almost everyday! So, each tune I found that I liked it, I tried to play it.. I used to learn about 2 or 3 per week too!
Only in WhistleThis you have a lot of beautiful tunes to learn! :boggle:
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

I keep a list of tunes that I update every now and then.

It's in 3 categories: "Learned", "Working-on" and "Need to learn these"

When I get round to updating the list I find that there's a few tunes in the "Learned" list that I'd forgotten to play recently. Then there's some new tunes in the "working-on" list and a couple to add to "need to learn".

Originally, I'd intended that the tunes would migrate from "Need' to "Working" to "Learned", but in reality, tunes will turn-up directly into the "learned", Some "Learned" get demoted to "Working", some "Working" get promoted to "Learned" and "Need to learn" tends to just grow with few of them getting any attention at all.

Having just a list of titles is very helpful.

There are about 150 tunes on my ABC player - of these I know about a dozen.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Thanks, Mitch. I had never thought in doing a list of the tunes, it could be quite helpful, indeed. Even I sometimes forget to play some tunes for a while and then it happens that I don't remember very well how to play them.
I think I'll do the list tomorrow, thanks for the idea!
Stephen Seifert

Post by Stephen Seifert »

My focus is always on singing, humming, lilting along with a tune until I can do so from memory. A small part of my strategy is to keep a folder with MP3s of tunes I want to learn. I sometimes listen to them at about 75% of the original speed over and over and over and over and over again. I know I'm getting a tune when it pops into my head when I'm taking the trash out, doing the dishes, driving, etc... Now the tune's ready for the whistle/flute/whatever. (I read very well but have decided to save this skill for later.)

Lately, I've been listening to the Kitchen Sessions on the Clare FM website. I don't worry about learning or remembering the tunes. I just try to hum along best I can with no expectation of results.

I'd actually like to quit worrying about "learning" tunes altogether. I'm hoping that this process of humming along with any session or recording with no set tune list will eventually lead to an ability to "catch on" to any tune while in a session, even if it takes YEARS. I think all the ideas about learning a language through immersion apply. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_immersion) Just a theory for now.

By the way, learning to play and identify the various types of rolls really helped me to pick up tunes faster. When I used to hear rolls, I didn't know what was happening at all. They all sounded like bubbles coming up through a barrel of water, especially on the pipes.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Seems to me unless you're of an advanced level, (which I doubt you are for only playing some 6 months) you shouldn't be learning 3 or 4 tunes at once. I know this might sound boring, but try working on one tune at a time, making sure you really have learned it well, then once you feel (or your teacher feels maybe) you've got that tune down, try another tune. And while you're learning the new tune, take a break, come back to the previous tune you just learned to see if you really have learned that one.

Also what helps in learning a new tune, is having listened to it and listened to it and listened to it and listened to it and listened to it, and you get the idea.

Cheers,
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Bothrops

Post by Bothrops »

Yes, I'm in a beginner level to be sincere, lol.
I use to learn not more than 1 or 2 tunes per week as a maximum, but this week I've discovered some which I loved and couldn't resist!
My teacher taught me to read music, which I didn't know, and I'm being able to read faster and faster, so I don't have problems in playing a quite difficult tune in less than an hour after reading the sheet music and listening it a few times.
I really like to play the tunes the best as I can, and not to play 200 and in a horrible way, so, I work hard on that.
I try to play all the tunes that I know every week and try to improve them every now and then.

By the way.. I did the 'tunes list'. I play 49 tunes without counting the non Irish Traditional tunes/songs, which are about 5-6 more.

Regards,
Martin
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I think the general progression tends to be:

1) Start on some relatively "boring" tunes and develop somewhat of a familiarity with the instrument.
2) Start learning a few more interesting tunes. Maybe some jigs or reels.
3) Become addicted to the fun of discovering new tunes. Start learning more and more tunes.
4) Become frustrated with inability to remember what you've learned.
5) Eventually begin to see real progress. Start seeing patterns that repeat among tunes.
6) Start being able to play tunes you don't even know, at least bits and pieces.
7)....after a while, play tunes you don't know, don't remember any that you do know, and just play whatever you hear.

I hope to reach number 7 some day.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
walrii

Post by walrii »

Mitch wrote:I keep a list of tunes that I update every now and then. It's in 3 categories: "Learned", "Working-on" and "Need to learn these."
I do exactly the same thing even down to the names of my lists! Great minds think alike? Small minds stuck in the same rut? I also keep three playlists on my iPod with those sets of tunes in them. I find the "Learned" tunes stay in memory better if I regularly listen to them played well and of course listening to the "working-on" and "need to learn" tunes makes the learning easier.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

walrii wrote:
Mitch wrote:I keep a list of tunes that I update every now and then. It's in 3 categories: "Learned", "Working-on" and "Need to learn these."
I do exactly the same thing even down to the names of my lists! Great minds think alike? Small minds stuck in the same rut? I also keep three playlists on my iPod with those sets of tunes in them. I find the "Learned" tunes stay in memory better if I regularly listen to them played well and of course listening to the "working-on" and "need to learn" tunes makes the learning easier.
ditto to both the lists and the ipod playlist. I do both and it seems to work pretty well. of course the 'learned' tunes need refreshing occasionally, especially if they're ones that don't get played at sessions much. I also have a list of sets that I like to play, so a tune may appear on that multiple times.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Stephen Seifert wrote:By the way, learning to play and identify the various types of rolls really helped me to pick up tunes faster. When I used to hear rolls, I didn't know what was happening at all. They all sounded like bubbles coming up through a barrel of water, especially on the pipes.
Yes, it's a bit like seeing all the 1's and 0's of the computer program instead of people and scenery. Welcome to the Matrix.

(Notice how a lot of ITM players don't smile when they play? They're all wishing they had swallowed the blue pill.)
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Re: Memorizing tunes

Post by FJohnSharp »

Bothrops wrote: Is it possible to memorize perfectly 100, 200 or 500 tunes?

Yes. but not all at once.

And when you know 500 tunes you will inevitably start the A part for one tune and go into the B part for another, similar tune, and maybe not even realize it. You won't even know the names of them all. You won't be able to start them all on command but if someone else plays the first few notes you'll be able to jump in. When you know 500 tunes you will still play with a group and someone will say, "Can you play XXXX?" and you'll say no. Then you'll decide you need to know 1000 tunes and you'll really be screwed.
KBR

memorization

Post by KBR »

Bothrops,
FJohnSharp wrote..."if someone else plays the first few notes, you'll be able to jump in"

This is very true and a good way to help with your memorization. You can memorize the tune but you should also memorize something about the tune that will help to bring it back to you - a few notes that are unique to that tune. If you have that association fixed in your mind you'll be able to supply your own first few notes. You should also make that same association for part B so that you understand that the "starter notes" for parts A and B fit the same tune. Those who play popular commercial music sometime refer to this as the "hook" which may not be so pronounced in ITM. My wife says that all ITM sounds the same but, it doesn't if you listen to it - there is something about each piece that identifies it. I hope this is helpful. kbr 8)
"ain't no other place 'round dis place, like dis
place so...dis must be de place...."
Sammy Ray