The Ten Session Commandments

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

The Ten Session Commandments

Post by BrassBlower »

Lifted from another forum. This is good.

I. Thou shalt play in tune! Tuneth thine instrument well and tuneth it often with thine electric tuner, lest the sound that emanateth from thine instrument be unclean.

II. Thou shalt not play whilest someone else is tuning.

III. Thou shalt listen with thine ears to the songs and shalt attempeth to play in one accord with the group. Also, thou shalt lift up thine eyes to look about thee, lest there be some visual sign that the leader may endeavoureth to render unto thee.

IV. Thou shalt not forsake the beat. Thou shalt not speedeth up nor sloweth down when playing a tune, for this shall be considered an abomination.

V. Thou shalt play softly when thou knowest not what thou art doing.

VI. Thou shalt commence and cease playing each tune as one, so that the noise thou shalt make be a joyful noise. Whensoever the leader sticketh forth a foot, thou must completeth the rest of that verse and then cease.

VII. Thou shalt concentrate and shalt not confound the music by mixing up the “A” part with the “B” part. Most songs, but not all, proceedeth by the ancient law: “AABB”. But if thou sinneth in this regard or make any mistake that is unclean, thou mayest atone not by stopping, nay, but by reentering the song at the proper place.

VIII. Thou shalt not, by thyself, commence a tune that the other musicians knoweth not, unless asked or unless thou art teaching that tune.

IX. Thou shalt turneth off thy cell phone or putteth it on vibrate lest thou offend the group.

X. Thou shalt speak gentle words of encouragement to those about us lest a harsh word turn them unto the darkness that is discouragement, for this is an abomination, and the other musicians shall not hold thee blameless, and shalt strike thee from their computer lists, yea, even unto the third and fourth generations.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: The Ten Session Commandments

Post by colomon »

Suggested amendments.
BrassBlower wrote:VII. Thou shalt concentrate and shalt not confound the music by mixing up the “A” part with the “B” part. Most songs, but not all, proceedeth by the ancient law: “AABB”. But if thou sinneth in this regard or make any mistake that is unclean, thou mayest atone not by stopping, nay, but by reentering the song at the proper place.
Thou shalt listen to the person who started the tune, and do what she does, rather than playing the repeats the way you think they go; for yea, many tunes have different versions, and you do not want to play the two-part version while the leader is playing the four-part version, or play AABB when she is playing AAB (in accordance with the high prophet Coleman).
VIII. Thou shalt not, by thyself, commence a tune that the other musicians knoweth not, unless asked or unless thou art teaching that tune.
Thou shalt not knowingly commence a tune that the other musicians knoweth not; but if thou should stumble across such a tune, finish it, that they might learn of its beauties.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Yea, tho I waltz thro the alley of the sessioneers, I will fear no evil... see no evil and do no evil... well... not much, anyway. :twisted:
Last edited by anniemcu on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
emtor

Post by emtor »

Suggested amendments:

Thou shalt not bring a recorder to a session, for this is an abominaton before the eyes of the Lord. Desecrate not the house of the Lord with unclean things.

Bloweth not the saliva out of thine holy whistle onto other sessionmembers.
The congregation of the Lord is holy and shalt not be blown saliva upon, lest it is the Lord of Hosts himself who doeth it.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

emtor wrote:Thou shalt not bring a recorder to a session, for this is an abominaton before the eyes of the Lord. Desecrate not the house of the Lord with unclean things.
:lol:

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

From the Book of Aytium (Chapter 2, verses 9-15),

...and Saint O'Briain raised the whistle up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this
Thy whistle that with it Thou mayest blow the fiddles into submission, in Thy
mercy." And the Lord did grin and the people did feast upon the lambchops
and sloths and badgers and cranberries and orangutans and Bushmills
16-year-old, and fruit bats and .... Oh, right... skipping ahead, then ... And the
Lord spake, saying, "Playest thy reels thrice through, for three be good in mine
eye. Do not play a fourth time, neither shalt thou play twice, excepting that
thou then proceed to a third repitition. Whereupon shoutest thou "HUP!", and
playest thou another reel. Do not follow with a jig. Hornpipes are right out!
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Hey, Brassblower, where did you originally find that? I want to link, quote, etc....
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

anniemcu wrote:Hey, Brassblower, where did you originally find that? I want to link, quote, etc....
http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/discu ... hp?t=14876

-Galileo
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

BrassBlower wrote:
anniemcu wrote:Hey, Brassblower, where did you originally find that? I want to link, quote, etc....
XI. Thou shalt not bring thy dulcimer to an Irish session, nor thy limber jack, nor washing board, nor sounding jug, lest thou be cast forth among the hill people. :P
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Denny

Post by Denny »

MTGuru wrote:
BrassBlower wrote:
XI. Thou shalt not bring thy dulcimer to an Irish session, nor thy limber jack, nor washing board, nor sounding jug, lest thou be cast forth among the hill people. :P
alright! me and the boys'll be thar! free bus rides home!
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

I don't know if this only applies to my local session and if any of you pipers from this area read this, sorry, but this is how it should be . . . . :D

Thou shalt not deviate from a "D" chanter to a "C" chanter in the middle of a session and commence a tune which is known by all, lest ye be assailed by an Overton. For this shall cause the eyes of the multitude to be cast round about in perplexity and their brows to furrow with discontent and their instruments to ring out in a discordant din.
~Tiff
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Good stuff. :)
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

MTGuru wrote:
BrassBlower wrote:
XI.Addendum-- exception will be made if the dulcimer be of the hammered variety AND the player be exceptionally able

(There's a local fellow around here who plays KILLER hammer dulcimer, and you'd be glad to have him in any session)
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Thou shalt not touch a recorder, nor a Boehm flute, nor any like unclean thing; neither the saxophone nor the clarinet, nor any of the like things which come out of the land of Jazz, or the land of Early Music.

Touch not things with the Mark, or Sign, of the Evil One. For his Sign is called Thumbhole, and his name is called Boehm.
Tia

Post by Tia »

yikes thats alot of thee thous and est's
but :lol:
-Music is a magic beyond everything-