Want to make (modern, Boehm system) flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
elizabeth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by elizabeth »

Hello Fluters, It has been a while since I posted anything here. I've been pretty busy at work (new owners) and we are in expansion mode. So...

Brannen Brothers Flutemakers, Inc. is looking to fill two flute making positions. Some experience working with metals would be preferable, as is flute playing ability in the case of the headjoint making position. Which is why I thought of you guys.

Anyone interested in working at our shop in Woburn, Massachusetts may find out more at: www.brannenflutes.com

When you get there, click on "What's New" and then on "Careers". I don't mind if someone PMs me but please read the ad on the website first.

Thank you,
Elizabeth Watson
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I don't know Elizabeth, Bickford looks like he might be a little tough on his helpers... Image
:D
Last edited by Jon C. on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I don't know Elizabeth, Bickford looks like he might be a little tough on his helpers... This might be just the thing for you, Loren. Image
:D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
elizabeth

Want to make (metal Boehm-system) flutes?

Post by elizabeth »

For the recored, Bickford is no longer there. He has retired and the company has new owners.

ElizabethWatson
Woburn, MA
If it was necessary to tolerate in other people everything that one permits in oneself, life would be intolerable. --Georges Courteline
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Stunning opportunity for an up-and-coming flutemaker, Elizabeth. I've taken the liberty of referring it to the flutemakers email list. Hope you get the right people for the jobs.

Terry
elizabeth

Post by elizabeth »

Thanks very much, Terry! I personally think it is a wonderful opportunity as well.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth
Woburn, MA
If it was necessary to tolerate in other people everything that one permits in oneself, life would be intolerable. --Georges Courteline
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Makes me wish I had some metal-working skills! I'd love to do a job like that.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
daiv

Post by daiv »

elizabeth--i forwarded it to someone who might know people in the midwest area.
jemtheflute wrote:Makes me wish I had some metal-working skills! I'd love to do a job like that.
i second that! what an opportunity... get a chance to make some of the best flutes in the world. a brannen flute is a wonderful thing.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Elizabeth, if a maker in the wooden flute world wanted someone to work with them, you'd expect to have to look for someone with the right general background (hah, whatever that is!) and then teach them flute-making skills. Is it pretty much like that in the metal flute world, or is there a reasonable pool of skilled workers moving from one company to another as they advance their careers?

Do we have any idea how many people in the US (or elsewhere) are likely to put "flute making" down as their occupation?

Terry
elizabeth

Want to make (metal, Boehm-system) flutes?`

Post by elizabeth »

Terry, I wouldn't say there is a reasonable pool of skilled workers right now. There doesn't seem to be any place to learn these skills but for the flute companies themselves. And at this time, there's some, but not a lot of movement of skilled flute makers from one company to another (I am referring only to hand made, professional quality modern flutes here). Quite a few of the people I work with have come from an older, much-respected Boston area flute company. :wink: But for a number of reasons, there is a limit to how much of that can go on.

Even though one of our advertisements is for an experienced head joint maker, it may turn out that we will need to consider hiring someone with, as you say, the right general background and some flute playing ability, and teach him/her the flute-making skills. I get quite a few inquiries from people who have a lot of jewelry-making experience but in the case of head joints, it is less important to me than flute-playing ability.

I have often wondered about the number of people in the US who would put "flute maker" on their Federal Tax Return. I could make a guess but it could be way off...

Thanks for your interesting questions!
Elizabeth
jemtheflute

Re: Want to make (metal, Boehm-system) flutes?`

Post by jemtheflute »

elizabeth wrote:Even though one of our advertisements is for an experienced head joint maker, it may turn out that we will need to consider hiring someone with, as you say, the right general background and some flute playing ability, and teach him/her the flute-making skills. I get quite a few inquiries from people who have a lot of jewelry-making experience but in the case of head joints, it is less important to me than flute-playing ability.
Damn - now I almost wish I lived in or could relocate to the USA! I'd love to learn.........
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Jem, it couldn't be so hard. Repeat after me:

TomAto (member of the deadly nightshade family)
AlUminum (a lightweight metal produced by electrolysis)
Wodder (Di-Hydrogen Monoxide)

You can do this, Jem ...

Terry
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Yeah, but then they wanna shoot missals at you (I know they're religious, but what good/harm is throwing a liturgical book supposed to effect?) and reply to "have" with "do" (which is becoming distressingly common in GB too), oh yeah, and they're responsible for being "on" teams instead of "in" them.

Nah, nah, I'm not being serious. I'm sure such minor irritations would dissipate with the incentive of a nice re-location package........

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

It's a lot more complicated than that, Jem. For example, in some parts of the country you're asked to stand in lines. Other places you stand on lines. You never really queue up. And of course, it goes on and on. Flutemaking skills would be the least of your issues....
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Terry McGee wrote:Jem, it couldn't be so hard. Repeat after me:

TomAto (member of the deadly nightshade family)
AlUminum (a lightweight metal produced by electrolysis)
Wodder (Di-Hydrogen Monoxide)

You can do this, Jem ...

Terry
Hey! I resemble that remark! :D

Jem. if you were to move to my part of the country, you could learn other gems (pun intended) such as:

I'm fixing to go get another cup of coffee.

Speaking of which, I think I will. :)

edited kuz eye kant spel
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.