WTB: Straight Razors...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
lordofthestrings
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

WTB: Straight Razors...

Post by lordofthestrings »

Hi-

I've collected straight razors as long as I've collected instruments (about 4 years), and I have some lovely pieces. I buy a lot of them from estates and ebay, etc. I'm always lookign to grow my collection, and was wondering if anyone out there happens to have any they might be willing to sell/trade/give away( :D )? I'm open to all conditions, all ages, all makes. PM me if you have something.

Thanks!!
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I do not. Sorry. If I find any at a yard sale or something I'll keep you in mind.

What I really want is a good old fashion safety razor. Most stores sell the blades but nobody has the handles.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Denny

Post by Denny »

http://www.nashvilleknifeshop.com/merku ... -html.html

google turned up a slew of 'em! A few years back it was mostly false positives when I was looking for one.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

>I've collected straight razors as long as I've collected instruments (about 4 years), and I have some lovely pieces.

Big Sweeney Todd fan, are ye? :D
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
lordofthestrings

Ah, I am a huge fan of Sondheim's Sweeney Todd, yes! But I started collecting before I really knew anything about the musical masterpiece. I got to see the revival live on Broadway 2 years ago, with Cerveris and LuPone, I was floored!! The version with George Hearn is also really amazing.
- - - Spence - - -
Ronbo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Well, I guess straight razors could help in the collection of intruments, especially if the collectee needed encouragement. When you went on your instrument collection spree, you weren't insulted by a bodhran player or anything, were you? :D
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

i have a few

you can't have them...

not yours! :P

(actually, I've been "collecting" them for a while now, ever since a few of us round here got on a straight razor kick. I even use most of them too)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
lordofthestrings

I have a few very nice old razors that I have honed, and I (if I have some time, usually on a weekend since college mornings can be nuts) will occasionally use them to shave. Our RA flipped out a little when he noticed one of them in an open drawer. It took some persuasion to convince him of what it was being used for (shaving faces, not cutting throats). I enjoy shaving with a straight razor; its kinda nostalgic and fun.
- - - Spence - - -
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

good for the soul, it is... :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Denny wrote:http://www.nashvilleknifeshop.com/merku ... -html.html

google turned up a slew of 'em! A few years back it was mostly false positives when I was looking for one.
I use a Merkur HD on the rare occasions that I can be bothered to shave, and I'm MUCH happier with it than I ever was with any other shaving device. I bought it from an eBay store called "uniquely mexican," which, as far as I could tell, only sold shaving equipment made in Germany.
William Bajzek
Boody
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Boody »

I am curious, how much more comfortable is shaving with a straight razor than shaving with a normal disposable type razor? Do you get less razor burn?

I am looking for any way to make shaving more comfortable, maybe I'll have to pick one up :)
(apologies for the off topicsness..)
lordofthestrings

If you have well honed, well stroped razor, the proper preperation, minimal knoweledge about shaving, and a steady hand, a straight razor shave is second to none IMHO. It takes some getting used to, and I got a number of nicks at first, but after persistance and patience, I rarely (if ever) get any. The expierence can be hard on your skin if you have very sensitive skin. Here is a very good site about the subject of shaving with a straight razor, very informative.
- - - Spence - - -
Boody
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Boody »

Thanks for the info, that site is really good.
I think I will have to pick one up.