John Skelton videos

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

John Skelton videos

Post by Casey Burns »

Go to YouTube and search for "John Skelton" and you will find some nice videos of him playing flute and pipes (including one of him playing on one of my Bb flutes in Mopane. The D flute is one of Pat Olwell's). These are some nice recordings! Just not long enough!

Casey
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks, great videos!
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Thanks, Casey! I've had the pleasure of hearing Mr. Skelton's Weapon of Mass Terror :-) on several occasions, and it's invariably gorgeous. Oooh, I hope he's playing The Sheep in the Boat in one of the videos; that's one of my favorites he does on your flute!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks, lovely. Here's a link to Olwellness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr-qOnu1 ... re=related

That's an amazing sound, yes?
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

a mighty blow from a great solo performance. hoorah!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

YAAAAAH! The Sheep! The Sheep! Happiness.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

How did you find out about Fluffy?
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Vee haf vays .... :-D

Speaking of, don't know where I heard him tell this but it's a sad story ... the tune comes from a tale of islanders who tried to bring their sheep to the mainland (can't remember whether they were evacuating the island during the Famine or taking the sheep to market, sorry). The seas were heavy, the sheep panicked ... and the boat, being a curragh made of basically shellacked canvas stretched on a frame, was punched full of holes from their hooves. All were lost.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

It behooves them to be more careful next time.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Oh that was so, so baaaaaaa-d. :P

Thanks again for the hookup, Casey!
Irish Marine

J. Skelton

Post by Irish Marine »

Thanks for posting Casey. I had the pleasure of learning from John in a few classes. Love his playing and was waiting for his playing to get onto YouTube. Awesome! I listen to his version of Craig's Pipes everyday.
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

The "Sheep in the Boat" jig is attributed to Junior Crehan and is derived from the air / lament "Anach Cuain". For more background on the tragedy, here is a good summary: http://www.angelfire.com/wi/shamrockclu ... ge123.html . A very nice recording of the air and the jig is on Kevin Crehan's CD An Bhabog sa Bhadog.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Thank you, David! I did a cursory search on it last night before posting what I remembered of it, but didn't turn up anything -- I'm glad you have more patience (and better search skills). :-) This is great. Thanks again!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Aha. A lake, calm weather, a fair/market, and a misguided attempt to stop a leak. Yup, details I sort missed, there .... :oops: Thanks once more, and my apologies for any misleading. :oops: