FS: Full set by Adrian Jeffries, with case and extras

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

FS: Full set by Adrian Jeffries, with case and extras

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

I bought this full set a few months back and am realizing that I perhaps dove into the art of piping a little too quick. I'd like to sell this set so I can buy a nice pratice set, and another flute(my main instrument). I purchased the set last November and have been fixing it up since then, the regs. were worked on by Michael Hubbert, Ted Anderson did some lovely work on the regs. as well, and made some excellent cane drone reeds that play well. I also bought a new bag from Michael MacHarg as the original was small and the neck was too short.
<p>It's a really nice set, but I am not ready for it, and it'd take me a few years to get up to speed where I need all the bells and whistles it offers. I am selling this set fully reeded but also with, a spare set of Ezeedrone reeds(works well in this set), 2 extra chanter reeds, a nice hardshell case, and i've got an extra set of the NPU tutors(all four of them), i'll throw in. My asking price is $6,250, given the fact I spent 6k plus the 800 or so for all the extras I think it's a fair price. I believe a new set like this from Adrian would set you back about $6,400 with a multiple year wait. PM me if you have any questions. The pics below are of when I first bought the set, I will be able to send restored pics of the set early next week to those that are interested.
Ceilticheart

Post by Ceilticheart »

:cry:

That's a beautiful set!
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

It's so rare to see a Jefferies set come up for sale. He's made a lot, has around a two-three year waiting list - people seem to be holding on to them.

BTW, O-Gaitero_do_Chicago, what did you need doing to the regulators?
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago

A couple blocks popped off the bass regulator before I got my hands on the set. They were repaired by Michael Hubbert, I can't even find the repair he did such a good job. Ted then put new pads on the regs, so they are now completely airtight.
Wannabe-Piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Wannabe-Piper »

Woah

Nice set.

Never heard of the maker before though,any info?
mayo_piper

Pipes

Post by mayo_piper »

hey Wanna Be...Fr. Pat lists him in his web site www.uilleannobsession.com under piper makers....

His web site is also : http://www.irishpipes.net/

FYI...

Slan,
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago

Here is a couple of shots of the pipes after all the work has been done on them to get them into top shape.

PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Adrian seems to have been inspired by Crowley for the "look" of this set. It reminds me of Paddy Keenan's old set.
PJ
kenr

Post by kenr »

Sorry PJ it looks absolutely nothing like Keenan's old set - except the metal work is the same colour.

I'm more worried about the positioing of that ugly loop on the bass drone. Really handy for reaching the F# or G on the top regulator!

Ken
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago

The loop is completely out of the way of the tenor regulator, just put the set together quickly for the photo so it isn't twisted into the right place. I admit I am not to the level of using regs yet, but on this set they fall very comfortably under the side of my hand.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

kenr wrote:Sorry PJ it looks absolutely nothing like Keenan's old set - except the metal work is the same colour.
Here's a photo (courtesy of uilleannobsession.com) of Paddy playing his Crowley set:

The mounts, reg caps, and bass drone resonator of the Jeffries set look to me like they were inspired by Paddy's Crowley set. I suppose Adrian Jeffries would be the one to confirm whether this is so. In any case, I'm only expressing an opinion.
PJ
kenr

Post by kenr »

PJ if you got up close and personal with that old set you'd probably say the mounts are not similar. The most distinctive mark of a maker is his key pattern and Crowley used round headed keys. The Keenan set is post mounted although I've seen other Crowleys with block mounts.

As you say it's just your opinion.

Ken