Dixon Trad - Get One?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jason Paul

Dixon Trad - Get One?

Post by Jason Paul »

I'm thinking I may be in the market for a new whistle, without breaking the bank. I'm considering the Dixon Trad brass. I thought there was at least one long thread about it, but can't find it for some reason.

I've seen it recommended a few times, but I also seem to remember seeing some tweaking recommendations. It also seems I remember reading about some tuning issues. Does OXX OOO work for Cnat?

How is the volume? I generally play alone, so don't need a particularly loud whistle.

Any other general comments about, or known issues with this whistle? I know it's just a little over $20, so I don't expect $200 performance. Also FYI, I've been playing about two years, so I'm not really a beginner.

Also, where would I get one from? Whistle & Drum appears to be out of stock for brass. It looks like Harp & Dragon and Hobgoblin US may have them, but I've never ordered from either.

Thanks,
Jason
Boody
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Boody »

I bought one from harp and dragon, and it went great. The service was very good. Volume is pretty normal, about the same as a generation.
I believe OXX OOO works for Cnat, but then again I don't have very good pitch so I cant really tell.
I don't know what you would need to do to it to tweak it, it plays great already.
I really don't have any problems with mine (any problems caused by the whistle that is)
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I got one as a throw in on a trade and I really like it.

To my ears the OXXOOO Cnat is a teensy sharp (less so than my Oak), but I haven't tried it against a tuner.
Trixle

Post by Trixle »

I love mine, it's either that or the sindt that i play most often (i love the sindt, it's a little louder though than the trad and my wife hates all whistles, great and small, quieter a little less) The trad is my favorite of the cheapies and i just love the sound of it. The bottom d can take a little getting used to to not over blow, but once you get that down it works lovely.

I used to say that the upper register was so sweet that i wanted to bite the fipple...of course i was coming from a set of whistles whose upper a and b had my ears almost bleeding. The dixon cured that problem.

I half hole c natural (sindt habit) but i dont remember 0xx000 being out of tune at all. I bought mine from harp and dragon, called them and all went amazingly well :)
"Well, rhythm, i think, if it's rhythmatic, that's the whole thing. Technique and everything comes second, i think, to the rhythm." --Mary Bergin
Enclose

Post by Enclose »

I'm expecting one in the mail this week, I got it from bigwhistle.co.uk
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

The Cnat at OXX OOO is pretty much dead on with my whistle - but I may well be adjusting and playing that note softer...isn't that just part of playing any wind instrument? The upper octave is wonderful. I'd say it's a tad quieter than a gen or feadog, but I play it in a session with 12-14 other muscians (including a pair of accordions) and folks from across the circle have said nice things about it...so it's obviously loud enough.

Eric
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

I find it much easier than my Burke! Easier to overblow too. Less ears piercing in the second octave but you can reach decent volume. Very nice sound (to me). Not prone to clogging (unlike my Burke).

Definitely one of my favourite to play with. It is my definite backup whistle at our session.

Pascal.
Franz

Post by Franz »

IMHO the Dixon Trad is the best value out there. Mine is dead on for Cnat OXX OOO with my Korg Tuner.
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

Definitely my favourite cheapie. Sweet and in tune. Cnat OXXOOO. Buy it and enjoy it!