How fast should I be playing?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
E = Fb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by E = Fb »

I just started using the BBC session web site. Nice! I was already familiar with a lot of the pieces, but discovered that the good folks at the Beeb attached different metronome speeds to what I had been practicing. To the point...yes...the point...um...yes...how fast should I be going, yes, that's it. I mean, where can I find some metronome speeds. Some of those jigs sound good at almost any speed. Others change character as sped up. So what's "right"? And where do I get a list? Like those laws of acquisition, you know?
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

When I was in college, there were some songs that I could play very fast, but slow the tempo down a couple of clicks and I couldn't play them, anymore. So the old saying still holds true. If you can't play it slow (slowly), then you shouldn't play it fast (fastly?)

JP
eskin

Post by eskin »

In general, I find that I practice my jigs and reels around 80-90 bpm which is fairly slow, In the local San Diego sessions I play in, the speeds are around 105 or so, which is quicker but relaxed, and when things really get going, ramp up to as high as 120.

Of course, if you are playing for step dancers, there are very stringent requirements for each kind of tune/dance.

I have a guide to tempos for playing for stop dancers up at:

http://members.cox.net/eskin/dancers.html

This was put together by Marci Phelan, a fine local accordian player who specializes in playing for step dancers.

Hope its useful!

Cheers,

Michael
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I think they may slow down the BBC stuff a little bit, not sure. But things can vary - I have heard Peat Fire Flame played as a march and as a jig/reel (forget which is which)
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

Eskin (Michael), that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a million.