Anyone familiar with Glenluce Flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bowjest
antispam: No

Anyone familiar with Glenluce Flutes?

Post by bowjest »

I've seen a couple at the local music store to me and think they may be on the "avoid at all cost" list.

Does anyone know them and can advise further?
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Not familiar with Glenluce flutes, and not to slam Hobgoblin, but Glenluce pipes .... ermmmm:

http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/contfram.htm

Maybe someone with an actual set could share an experience? I see they make Highland pipes, too.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
bowjest

Post by bowjest »

Cathy,

How did you know I was going to Hobgoblin? Lucky guess since I'm in Wiltshire?

I just went to the link you supplied and found the answer to my question: Made in Pakistan.

Think I'll give Glenluce a miss.

Thanks for that link!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Actually, I've been lurking in your car boot ....

Kidding! There'd was some sort of discussion over on the Uilleann Pipe forum -- but alas, I couldn't seem to find the exact thread -- that ultimately led me to that very link just the night before your post, and I remembered the Glenluce name from that.

Serendipity, not stalking. Fear not! :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
bowjest

Post by bowjest »

Cathy,

Hehe, no worries. Just wondered if you lived in the Bristol area and had seem them at Hobgoblin.

I'm just trying to opt for a decent instrument for as cheap as I can.

I may just save all my pennies and wait and buy a wood flute.

Ah, the agony of (prospective) flute ownership!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

bowjest wrote:Cathy,

Hehe, no worries. Just wondered if you lived in the Bristol area and had seem them at Hobgoblin.

I'm just trying to opt for a decent instrument for as cheap as I can.

I may just save all my pennies and wait and buy a wood flute.

Ah, the agony of (prospective) flute ownership!
Depending on the present state of the euro vs. the dollar <big sigh for all of us>, you may be able to pick something up from here for a good price ... have you checked www.irishflutestore.com for a used wooden flute? There are also some very nice flutes from Casey Burns (wooden) and David Copley (Delrin).

And me, myself, I'm pretty darned fond of those Delrin flutes from Rob Forbes ... when Kevin Crawford tried mine last summer he said "That's a grand little flute, that!"

(In other words, he laughed when I sat down ... but then he started to play)

But any of those flutes could be had for around US $400 or less -- not all that much more than the Glenluce sticks -- and they'll stand you in good stead for a long time to come, "fancier" wooden flute or no.

:-) Good luck!
bowjest

Post by bowjest »

Cathy,

Thanks. Ah, this is the dilemma; do I keep saving and wait, wait, wait for a much better instrument or do I spend a modest sum now on a Dixon or Bell and find out if I'm really cut out to be an ITM flute player?

I've only been playing a few weeks and sorta know one song (with effort).

I reckon if I get something in the Dixon price range and play it for a year or two and then get a really nice one once I know that I can (or cannot!) play, I'll be money ahead.

But I might just get lucky and find a second hand wood one over here for affordable money. I'll keep looking!

Thanks for your input.
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Berti66 »

or you could post a WTB topic here, who knows there is a nice fluter who wants to help you along the way by making room in their collection ;)
if you also post a price limit then people know what you are looking for.
a fixed up (and retuned) second hand old flute could also give you fun without breaking the bank.

by the way, I too started on a dixon three piece flute.
tony has great service!

have fun
berti
all music is what awakes within you
when you are reminded of it by the instrument.
walt whitman