Where are some of the strange places you play your whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Where are some of the strange places you play your whistle?

Post by mutepointe »

I've taken to playing while I pump gas. I drive around a lot for work and it's a nice break.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

Not too many strange places for me. The strangest I can think of is in the parking lot tailgating before a NASCAR race.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
pastorkeith

Post by pastorkeith »

Halloween a few years back - played outside by pumpkin candle light while waiting to pass out candy.
pastorkeith
"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love."-- Mother Teresa
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Molly Malone's Pub in Hanover NJ is a pretty strange place I play in.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
synecdoche

Post by synecdoche »

I played on the Seattle ferry once, when it wasn't too busy. Actually the reverb was fantastic because I was sitting in a sort of enclosed observation area. I had really never played in public before that. :party:
"It's the Great God Bird through it all!"
-Sufjan Stevens
pollyannapix

Post by pollyannapix »

I know I shouldn't, but I play at stoplights. I get some might weird looks. And in my work parking lot every morning if I'm early, as well as several "weird" pubs and bars! :lol:
swing a little more on the devil's dance floor!
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

Abandoned 19th century catacombs near Moscow, which were a limestone quarry before. That place is really abandoned, only those who know where the entrance is (and who are ready to crawl in the mud to enter) visit it sometimes. I love that place, and love playing whistle there.

...imagine yourself visiting a cave of that sort. Imagine you hear some sad tune from the darkness of labyrinth. You go there, trying to find the source of the sound, and after some wandering in these passages and grottos see <i>someone</i> in grey clothes and hood hiding the face, sitting on the stones without any light and playing some-sort-of-flute...

Well, it took some time before these two guys who met me there became certain that I'm not a ghost of some sort :)

BTW, I was playing Carolan's Welcome that time, and it fit the situation perfectly. What other tunes will you recommend for such cases? :)
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

That would be too cool breqwa. My suggestion: People are Strange by The Doors. I don't play ITM.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
pollyannapix

Post by pollyannapix »

breqwas, that sounds like a beautiful (and wonderfully strange) place to whistle! And I think I would have been quite scared the daylights out of if I had been one of those two guys! :o
swing a little more on the devil's dance floor!
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

Two more weird places where I played whistle.

The roof of Moscow State University main building (<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:5231 ... g">here</a>, that's the tallest of seven so-called "<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Sist ... ">Stalin's Skyscrapers</a>") - I was at the top of one of these small towers on sides of the building. Sunset is beatiful when watched from there.

The bridge above Moskva river - <a href="http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Изображени ... g">this</a> one. Another pic <a href="http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Изображени ... g">here</a> - do you see that small metal cage under some red thingy? I don't know what is it for, but I think it is perfect place to meet the sunrise with some happy whistling :)

And - yes, I wasn't supposed to be in both of these places, it took some climbing and could cause problems with police. But that was something that is worth the risk, I think.
OBrien
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by OBrien »

Here's me playing in an abondoned railway tunnel:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pzu835o2i7k
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I have played at the Mall of the Mainland while my wife went shopping. Great reverb and echo there. Also saw a look on my wifes face that was new. :) Whistle of choice there was the Overton bass Bb. Played a diy soprano D in the hardware store, and when shoppers came from the back they had thought it was from a cd player.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I have this huge hallway in the building where my workshop is and I love the acoustics of that hallway - I call it the "Whistle Testing Chamber".
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
WhistlingArmadillo

Post by WhistlingArmadillo »

The "D&I" shack at work -- a roughly 30 x 30 ft building that has to be away from magnetic interference. It has a sloped half-cathedral ceiling with the entire large wall a window facing out into the woods. Wonderful reverb, and I can watch the banana spiders that like to spin their webs on the outside of the window.
At the end of it all, I want to be told "Well done". I don't want to _be_ well done!
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Lol, that´s really great, bregwas :-D It´s nice when you can find such places.

I don´t play in some overly weird places, but two came to my mind - one is in one park - it´s a grand park, dark, sometimes scary, many squirrels live in it etc. And when I´m jamming with someone acoustically, we always go there, and some people, when they see me, they already know there´ll be some playing.

And second one...it was only once - my grandma wanted to hear me play, we were on countryside...so we went into the forest, and I sat and played - it was really beautiful, to play, while red, green, brown leaves were falling (it was autumn) - my grandma told me it was one of most powerful events she experienced in last ten years. But it´s difficult to describe the atmosphere in words - that total peace and calm in the forest, only leaves falling and whistle playing.