OT: which concertina for ITM?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

My husband would like to learn anglo-concertina, and he would use it to play Irish trad. Now I've seen that most concertinas are in C/G, but they also exist in G/D which seems to be a better choice for this music. So why do most Ir-Trad-folks choose C/G?
Which key would you advise me to buy, and what brand? It should not be too expensive. And where can I get one here in Europe?
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

c/g is the norm

don't get a cheap one

all info on wwww.concertina.net
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Peter, so you think I would have to spend about 750 Euro? Steve Power offers a Stagi for about that price. Would that be a good choice? Or rather a Hohner?
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Claudine,

I know less than nothing about concertinas, but this site should provide you with some useful guidance.

http://www.concertina.net/index.html
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Jens_Hoppe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

As Peter and Martin wrote, http://www.concertina.net is definitely the place to go for everything (anglo) concertina related. It has an extensive buyer's guide.

The concensus on starter instruments seems to be that Stagis and their ilk are of too low a quality to be worth much, although Bob Tedrow sells "improved" Stagis that are supposedly a much better buy.

For "serious" beginners the choice seems to be between the new "mid-range" concertinas (Button Box, Marcus, etc.) and old Lachenals in good shape. All of these are in the price range of $1000-$2000. Makes good quality flutes sound like cheap instruments. :smile:

:smile:
Jens

(edited to include mention of Tedrow-modified Stagis)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jens_Hoppe on 2002-08-21 06:38 ]</font>
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

the consensus among teachers here is NOT to get stagi bastari gremlin hohner and that sort they ar not very nice and if they go they cannot be taken apart to be fixed.
I paid 700 pound for a lovely vintage Lachenal two years ago, you can get various types of lachenals for €800-1200 from dealers like Chris Algar [barleycorn music, has a website and is a sound, reliable dealer].
Marcaus is another possibility, allthough their cheapest has the accordeon reeds.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

claudine

Post by claudine »

So I'd better start to save some money for that christmas present. Thanks for your answers.
P.S.: one more question: could I buy a used concertina from Barleycorn via mail without worrying about quality?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: claudine on 2002-08-21 07:21 ]</font>
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

That's a responsibility for anybody to answer that one. He has a good reputation, the decision is yours. Talk to him over the e-mail, he's very helpful. http://www.marcusmusic.co.uk is another one to look at.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2002-08-21 07:39 ]</font>