Accordéon Bouchard

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Accordéon Bouchard

Post by StevieJ »

Many squeezers have wondered why nobody made a one-row in D with a couple of extra notes, since this would make it possible to cover most of the Irish repertoire without going to a full two-row system.

(Bretton of this forum has even gone to the length of ordering an Abruzzi style "organetto" configured this way. Not sure how he got on with it though, since it apparently had no air button... Brett?)

Well now two men from Quebec - the excellent player André Bouchard and his brother Serge - have stepped forward with just such a box. It's a classic four-voice Québec or Cajun style one-row in D, same size, but with four extra notes - G#, c, d# and g#.

Quick tour of the box - YouTube clip.

Demonstration of a few tunes using the accidentals.

Although there are only four extra notes, there are four buttons to operate them instead of two. This was done so that the accidentals could be positioned sensibly - relative to the main row as they would be on a normal D/C# box (of which André Bouchard is an expert player).

They didn't put more than four extra notes because this couldn't be done without adopting a size larger than the standard one-row box, which they think would be less attractive to Québécois players.

They are priced at Cdn $2200.

The brothers are working on readying other designs too including, very possibly, a suggestion from me for my own particular dream box (compact 21-button C#/D in 10/11 configuration) 8)
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Re: Accordéon Bouchard

Post by Bretton »

StevieJ wrote: (Bretton of this forum has even gone to the length of ordering an Abruzzi style "organetto" configured this way. Not sure how he got on with it though, since it apparently had no air button... Brett?)
I liked playing it quite a bit. I removed the reed plate for the bass button and used it as an air button (still had the D/A chord button). I ended up selling it but would really like to get another at some point (with a low voice in the mix).

-Brett
Ed Harrison
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ed Harrison »

Thanks SteveJ for all the information on the Accordéon Bouchard
accordions.

As you learn more or play one , please keep us posted.

Ttanks.... Ed