Tragic news for Hilton Heiress

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Tragic news for Hilton Heiress

Post by Flyingcursor »

Paris loses out: Hilton fortune pledged to charity

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/ ... 3220071226
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Wow, good for him.

I have to check with my dad, but I think her grandfather is the Hilton who used to hang around the Trappist monastery my dad was a monk at back in the '50's. He was a "monk groupie" of a sort, and considered joining the monastery himself. If he had, just think how the world would be without Paris! :P
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

...but we'll always have Paris. :P
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

But Barron Hilton challenged the will and after a nearly decade-long legal struggle
Ironically, the old guy only got the fortune in the first place by overturning his own father's will, which had--yes--pledged the entire fortune to the same charity.

Cutting out the next generation is a family tradition, not a judgement on paris.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

When I saw the news in the paper this morning, my first reaction was, why doesn't he give, like, 2 billion of the 2.3 billion to the charity NOW? I mean, even I could live for a few years on a few hundred million dollars. So Simon's remark doesn't surprise me a bit. Leaving everything to charity after you're dead seems kind of like freeing your slaves after you're dead. It's not bad, but you could go so much further.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

The least he could do is give her a lifetime supply of little soaps and shampoos.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

s1m0n wrote:
But Barron Hilton challenged the will and after a nearly decade-long legal struggle
Ironically, the old guy only got the fortune in the first place by overturning his own father's will, which had--yes--pledged the entire fortune to the same charity.

Cutting out the next generation is a family tradition, not a judgement on paris.
There's a little Japanese play-within-a-play, IIRC, in a kabuki production where a "lion" throws its "cub" off of a cliff. Then it frets and waits, the cub crawls back to the top, and they dance a happy dance. The cub has survived a tough love survival test, and proved itself strong and able, as well a lion should be.

Maybe the Hilton history of contesting such wills is like that. Beat the will, and you deserve the takings. You have earned it in the best Hilton tradition.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Steven Hilton, one of Barron's sons and president and chief executive of the foundation.
So Barron Hilton gives money to a foundation that is headed by his own family. It seems like a loophole to evade the death tax. Reuters gives him good press and the foundation that bears his family name gets free press. If Paris ever looses her celebrity status, and cannot cash in on the Hilton name, I am sure that there will be a high level job that involves little work within the foundation.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
larrym.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by larrym. »

Seems to me the least he could do would be to donate Paris to another galaxy...

Larry Madden
"For God so loved the world that He gave His One and Only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Lambchop wrote:The least he could do is give her a lifetime supply of little soaps and shampoos.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.