New on Drones: Difficulty playing while drones in use.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
upiperbob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New on Drones: Difficulty playing while drones in use.

Post by upiperbob »

Newbie on drones. Have a half set from Kirk Lynch. Bellows need lots of pumping even after 15 min playing. Are they suppose to gain efficiency with playing time. Any tips appreciated.
Merry Christmas to All

Upiper Bob
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Playing with drones should not require an inordinate amount of excess bellows work. Could there be a leak or incomplete connection somewhere?
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I wouldn't think that they would gain efficiency. The only time that happens is when you spring open the tongue of a reed wide and the reed gulps air at first but becomes more and more efficient as the tongue relaxes and lowers (and if it keeps lowering it will shut off eventually).
Adjusting drone reeds is quite an art and the more you do it the better you'll get. Whether natural cane reeds or synthetic reeds there should be a "bridle", a circle of waxed string on a cane reed or sometime a rubber band type thing on a synthetic reed. Moving this towards the tongue (making the tongue shorter) will make the drone sharper, quieter, and more air-efficient. Make the tongue too short and the reed will shut off at the higher pressure that the chanter requires for certain high notes. Moving the bridle the other way does the reverse of all of those. So, it's a fairly simple matter to make drone reeds suck a lot of air and be loud and roaring, or to make them take little air and sound sweet.
But yes, a set of drones no matter how well set-up will take more air than the chanter alone. Just wait till you play a three-note chord on the regs! It will feel like there's a hole in the bag.
It's not just the reeds, though, that can make a set of pipes use a lot of air. You've got two valves, a bag, a bellows, three stocks, and lots of other pieces all of which must all be perfectly air-tight. On a set of drones there are a lot of places air could be leaking out.
gregorygraham

Post by gregorygraham »

Bob,

I was in your shoes a little over a year ago. Got my drones in Nov '06. I'm just now beginning to be at ease with them. It takes time.

You appear to be in MO and I believe Kirk Lynch is in MO as well. I'd recommend a visit to Kirk. Although I've never met Kirk Lynch, I understand he's a top notch maker who stands behind his work. If there's a mechanical problem causing you to lose air, I'm sure he's the best man to address it.

Keep up the struggle.
Gregory Graham
Toronto
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

pancelticpiper wrote: Just wait till you play a three-note chord on the regs! It will feel like there's a hole in the bag.
Is this why Seamus is always constantly pumping his bellows arm as though he's trying to fly away?
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Key_of_D wrote:
pancelticpiper wrote: Just wait till you play a three-note chord on the regs! It will feel like there's a hole in the bag.
Is this why Seamus is always constantly pumping his bellows arm as though he's trying to fly away?
I believe his set was leaky.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I was playing for a show the other day and it was clear that there was something amiss. Turns out the blow pipe/valve got "disorientated". I gave it a proper orientation and problem was solved.

t
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

What amazes me is seeing Paddy Moloney pumping like hell even though he's only playing the chanter! His pipes must have big-time leaks. He pumps as much playing the chanter as I have to playing chanter, drones, and regs together.