Need advice from Olwell owners

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
emmdee

Need advice from Olwell owners

Post by emmdee »

I have a Cotter 4 keyed flute, the tone of which is nice and it is nicely in tune. Having only recently started taking it out to sessions, I find that it's a bit on the quiet side and I'm having to play harder than I would normally do. This leaves me a bit short of air, so basically I can play nicely but quietly in sessions. This is fine, all things being equal, as I'm not into having a big, dominant, aggressive sound, and I'm a really laid back player (not into puff, spit, blow playing).

Now, the reference to the Olwell is that I'm on Pat's waiting list. I'll probably look at a Nicholson model rather than the Pratten, as maximum volume is not my style. Does anyone who has played or owned an Olwell care to offer an opinion of Blackwood versus Rosewood in terms of volume? Aesthetically, I'd love a boxwood flute so okay, let's throw it open. How appreciable is the difference in volume between the three timbers? Let's not get bogged down in tonal comparisons. I have two friends who have boxwood and blackwood Wilkes flutes, both of which sound mighty. Likewise, let's not compare apples and oranges e.g. Grinters and Olwells.

Any advice apreciated
m.d.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I haven't played enough Olwells to have specific answers to your questions, but my observation has been that many flutes are capable of similar volumes, but they are different when it comes to projection. Raw volume can be useful for hearing yourself, but it doesn't necessarily translate into good projection--what others hear.
Different bores and different tonewoods will affect the tone's harmonic content, and it's the player's manipulation of the harmonic content of the tone that most affects projection.
So I suppose my question is whether you're interested in a flute that gives more "in your face" volume (so you can hear yourself better) or a flute that lends itself to better projection?

Standard disclaimer: In the end, it's the player, not the flute.
cocusflute

Boxwood volume

Post by cocusflute »

Paul O'Shaughnessy is playing a boxwood Olwell on the CD that he did with Hardly Bradley a couple of years back- Born for Sport- track 5 & 12. And he certainly has no problem with volume in a session.
I would choose boxwood over rosewood. I have a boxwood Nicholson Olwell that has plenty of volume. If it had a G# key I'd play it more often. That said, I'm off to play it....
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

Thanks, cocusflute!
m.d.
michael c

Post by michael c »

Just a wee note. Paul's boxwood flute has a lined head as far as I can remember. Whatever that has to do with the price of turbot in Killybegs I don't know but It might affect the feel and sound of said feadóg mhór.

(P.S. I have recently got a boxwood flute made by Sam Murray. It seems to be one of the most remarkable beasts which I've ever played. I suppose we are just lucky to have access to such a variety of great materials and people who know how to work with them).
jim stone

Re: Need advice from Olwell owners

Post by jim stone »

emmdee wrote:I have a Cotter 4 keyed flute, the tone of which is nice and it is nicely in tune. Having only recently started taking it out to sessions, I find that it's a bit on the quiet side and I'm having to play harder than I would normally do.
m.d.
Curious about this. I have a cotter pratten, wonderfully in tune--
but louder n' hell. Quite up there with the Olwell Pratten.
Don't know whyyour flute is quiet.
Is it a pratten? Don't know if he makes anything else.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Blackwood, Boxwood, then Rosewood (of those you mentioned) in that order of "loudness", but really, it's much more the player. I'd say you'd be best off to improve you own power and projection, so that playing "louder" requires less effort on your part. The side benefit to this approach (which is basically improving your breathing, embouchure focus, and efficiency) is that your tone will likely improve significantly in the process.

Loren
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

Thanks Loren.
I have a cocobolo De Keyser which is louder and projects better - it's a massive flute, though - but the tone just doesn't do it for me. I'm not mad to be the loudest guy in the session, but I don't want to play me wee heart out and not even able to hear myself. More than anything, I'm interested in the possibilities offered by the various Olwell designs and materials because I don't expect to have to buy another flute in my lifetime.

Thanks for the observation, Jim. I have heard that Cotters are quite variable both in terms of volume and tunefulness. Certainly, I played one in Canada that was not nicely tuned and played pretty badly, but mine's great for what I like. Nice tone.
m.d.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Interesting. I guess I lucked out.

Anyhow I agree with everybody above.
The Olwell Nicholson's with lined headjoints
will have the volume you need, whatever
they're made of. Great flutes.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

jim stone wrote: Anyhow I agree with everybody above.
The Olwell Nicholson's with lined headjoints
will have the volume you need, whatever
they're made of. Great flutes.
Yup, dittos here too.
But please, don't get the rosewood as it will make my lip itchy if you come to visit me and I play it. :P

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Unless you manage to convince Patrick to make you a flute out of an old gym sock, I'm not sure the material will have any effect at all on the volume. That's up to you, really.

The material chosen will affect the tone of the flute, to a certain extent, though not as much as you yourself can affect the tone with how you play. I'm thinking now of a mate of mine who's been horsing around a huge, loud, Pratten-style blackwood flute for years; he recently acquired an Olwell boxwood Rudall model with very small holes and no tuning slide on which he's producing a much bigger sound than he ever did on the Pratten. It just suits him better, being easier to fill. Cheers,

Rob
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

Thanks, guys, for all responses!

I'm definitely thinking about the Nicholson with lined head. Aesthetically, I'd really like a boxwood flute; however, given the length of Pat's waiting list I'll worry about this closer to the time i.e. at least another 5 years (if not more!)
m.d.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Unless you're after a keyed flute (or are joking)
the wait is, what, a bit more than a year. Those
who know better can give a more precise
estimate. But not much longer.

If you want a keyed flute you can get an unkeyed
flute and Pat will retrofit.

The boxwood flute is a bit more expensive,
as you probably know.
I've had an 'itchy lips' response to the varnish
(or whatever it is)that Pat puts on
his boxwood. Several others have too.
I put some transparent tape under the
blow hole and that fixed it; others
have taken off the varnish (you may
find a discussion if you search).

Meanwhile I told Pat about it and he
may well have fixed it.
MichaelR

Post by MichaelR »

As of early October when I ordered an Olwell flute the waiting list for a keyless flute was about 1 year and approximately 6 years for a keyed flute.
malanstevenson
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Post by malanstevenson »

emdee wrote
I'm definitely thinking about the Nicholson with lined head.
I've an Olwell Nicholson on order, and will soon have to decide whether tis better to line or not to line. In your collective experience, will a lined head give a generally brighter, shriller tone vs. a woodier, darker, smokier tone (with hints of peat, orange peel and Old Spice) for the unlined head? I don't know that it would affect the volume so much (depending on the player), but I do wonder about the effects on the overall tone.

Thanks,
Mark