I'm going to New York City

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
sbfluter

I'm going to New York City

Post by sbfluter »

I'm going to visit New York City. I have no idea what to do there. I've only been there once for a few hours. We walked around Central Park, went to that camera store with all the curly-haired guys, ate a delicious deli sandwich, rode the subway to the World Trade Center site and that's it. That's all I've ever done. Maybe I'll have another day to see a little more. Maybe even two.

Is there anything Irish Music-related I could see?

I hate musicals and that kind of thing so please don't suggest that. Real Irish music would be nice. Maybe even instrument shops would be fun.

Thanks!
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

I could spend months just in the museums, zoos and aquariums. I don't know the area at all, but perhaps this will help: http://www.murphguide.com/tradsession.htm

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
emmline
antispam: No

Re: I'm going to New York City

Post by emmline »

sbfluter wrote: I hate musicals and that kind of thing so please don't suggest that.
:o Well, okay then. I won't.

Just walking around the various districts and villages is nice though, if you have good weather.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

sbfluter wrote: Is there anything Irish Music-related I could see?
There are sessions. You could come and listen to one or more of those. Good beer, too, typically.
/Bloomfield
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

For someone with limited time, I suggest taking the Circle Line boat tour to see the entire island. There are lots of things to see, depending on a person's interest. Some of my personal favorites are the Cloister's collection of medieval art, and the Frick museum. The Metropolitan museum is a bit overwhelming. The Modern has become a bit too full of themselves with all their new money, and my tastes have changed. There are more museums, some interesting, some not so, again, depending on a person's taste.

There is the tree at Rockefeller center, window shopping along 5th avenue.

If I remember correctly, you are a bicyclist. Now that would take a lot of guts, and it would be best to have a local ride with you, but there are places to ride a bike in Manhattan. The island is small so a bike can cover a lot of ground rapidly. Though if the trip is in December, daylight is limited and the weather may be horrid.

There are neighborhoods to walk through, Chinatown, Little Italy, Washington Square Park, Soho, Times Square, the upper West Side, and on and on. The adventurous with street smarts can seek out eateries in some of the less touristy ethnic neighborhoods.

There is the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. There is Grant's tomb. There is Battery Park, and the Staten Island ferry. There is walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. Again, maybe not the best ideas for a cold December day.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

My old hometown ... The block of West 48th Street, just east of 7th Ave off Times Square has large concentration of music stores. Not trad, but worth a stroll if you're in Times Square anyway. I used to work for one of them ...

djm already mentioned the MurphGuide listings. By reputation, Mona's, Swift's, O'Neill's are worth checking out.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Bloomfield wrote:
sbfluter wrote: Is there anything Irish Music-related I could see?
There are sessions. You could come and listen to one or more of those. Good beer, too, typically.
You mean they serve Bud Light in the Irish pubs?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Museum of Modern Art

Also if you are into walking, walk down fifth
avenue from 42nd street to the Village.
Great city to walk in.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

MTGuru wrote:My old hometown ... The block of West 48th Street, just east of 7th Ave off Times Square has large concentration of music stores. Not trad, but worth a stroll if you're in Times Square anyway. I used to work for one of them ...
Guru-- that wouldn't be Terminal Music would it? That eventually moved uptown, became Courtly Music, then moved upstate. I bought my first recorder from Artie Nitka.

The Circle Line is a great suggestion, but I don't think it runs this time of year.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

brewerpaul wrote:Guru-- that wouldn't be Terminal Music would it? That eventually moved uptown, became Courtly Music, then moved upstate. I bought my first recorder from Artie Nitka.
No, Paul, it was Sam Ash. I was the acoustic music guy at one of their stores back in the early 80s, the lone folkie. :-) I didn't know the history of Courtly Music. I've bought several recorders from Richie. I do remember Hargail's, though.

brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

MTGuru wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:Guru-- that wouldn't be Terminal Music would it? That eventually moved uptown, became Courtly Music, then moved upstate. I bought my first recorder from Artie Nitka.
No, Paul, it was Sam Ash. I was the acoustic music guy at one of their stores back in the early 80s, the lone folkie. :-) I didn't know the history of Courtly Music. I've bought several recorders from Richie. I do remember Hargail's, though.
I bought a Guild F-30 from the White Plains Sam Ash in 1966. Still have it too-- never felt the need to replace it.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

brewerpaul wrote:I bought a Guild F-30 from the White Plains Sam Ash in 1966. Still have it too-- never felt the need to replace it.
I worked in Huntington, but was pretty much the only acoustic music maven in the chain at the time. Whenever someone walked into one of the stores looking for gusle strings or nose flutes, I'd end up getting the call. Billy Joel, Brian Setzer and Joan Jett were regular customers. But not for nose flutes. :-)