Has anyone ever noticed...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MojoXN
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Has anyone ever noticed...

Post by MojoXN »

OK, to start off, I have an Oak in D.

Has anyone ever noticed that if you position the fipple so that your upper lip is just shy of the hole in the fipple (kid of on the edge of the hole), the tone of the whistle changes completely?

The altered tone sounds kind of like a woodwind of some sort, I could be wrong about that, but it sure as heck sounds remarkably different, richer, fuller somehow.

Am I crazy, or is there some rational explanation for this?

P.S. When playing in the "different" configuration, it' impossible to get to the second octave, at least without squeaking and such.
The only thing that makes life worth living is loving others more than yourself.
pao

yes

Post by pao »

yes i noticed that too, and not only on the Oak but also with others of its kind... nice sound, though that's just it, the second octave can't definitely be reached because the much needed air does not completely go in..
落とされた天使
MojoXN

Post by MojoXN »

I like the sound abunch... Which you standard English speakers would probably call "a lot" There's the WV coming out. :)

Anyway, I find it an interesting variation on the standard tone of the whistle, quite useful when playing tunes that stick to the first octave.

Anyone else notice this? How can it be properly incorporated into playing?
The only thing that makes life worth living is loving others more than yourself.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Do some searching on Kwela. It sounds like you are doing something similar if not less drastically.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yep I noticed on my Burke low D especially that you get different sounds if you have the mouthpiece all the way in your mouth, halfway in, or the lips on the edge. The tuning is best and the tone the clearest if the mouthpiece is all the way in your mouth. Lips on the edge give a more complex tone but B in particular plays flat.
Go Mountaineers!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Also keep in mind that what you hear in your ear may not be what a listener 10 feet away hears. A nice, breathy effect at the fipple may become a purer tone at a distance, especially if masked by playing with other instruments. But I agree that the relationship between embouchure and tone is fundamental.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

MTGuru wrote:Also keep in mind that what you hear in your ear may not be what a listener 10 feet away hears.
Good point. If your lips don't touch the fipple, you've broken the whistle-head connection, so you may be filtering out whatever you normally get in the way of vibes conducted by your teeth and bones rather than the air.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Some whistles have wall around the window opening. When you put your lips in the close proximity to the window, you are creating a "wall" on the top.

Put your fingers around the sides of the whistle and the sound will change even more dramatically. Pitch will flatten slightly as well - in fact this trick is used on Native American flutes that have been pitched a little too sharp - the window brings the pitch down just a little.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D