Alert! Rudall and Rose 730 FS on Ebay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Paul McGlinchey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Alert! Rudall and Rose 730 FS on Ebay

Post by Paul McGlinchey »

R&R 730 for sale on Ebay.

Bids over $6000!
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

starts at $6,000

Rudall & Rose

B foot

treeshark

Post by treeshark »

If you all club together it will do nicely for my christmas present...
Are those little rollers on the bottom 3 keys?
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

treeshark wrote:If you all club together it will do nicely for my christmas present...
Are those little rollers on the bottom 3 keys?
I'd say yes.

To the rollers.

Not your prezzy.

:D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Extra Bb touch, B foot (with rollers!), vgc and what a lovely embouchure! And all for a mere £3k!!!!

Another new SN for DM too(?)! And a straight Cnat touch. So many recent points raised re: other flutes all in one! Now, if it just had a spare PH........ oh, and its grease pot and cleaning rod with integral screw-driver, what might it be worth then? It's probably too early to have needed a certificate from Messrs R&R, though.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

It's loverly.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Well at least you don't have to worry about the flute being head heavy, with that foot! Whoever buys it, can send it to me to get it cleaned up... :D
It's nice, because no one has "fixed" it yet! It seems that a lot of the work is spent trying to fix the repairs, done in the past. :swear:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
daiv

Post by daiv »

Jon C. wrote:Well at least you don't have to worry about the flute being head heavy, with that foot! Whoever buys it, can send it to me to get it cleaned up... :D
It's nice, because no one has "fixed" it yet! It seems that a lot of the work is spent trying to fix the repairs, done in the past. :swear:
i dont know jon, that sounds highly suspect... where'd you ever get an idea like that? :D
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Jem: certificates showed up just before the four-petal mark did, around the 3000series. (no access to the catalogue here at work so I can't say with any precision)
My suspicion is that the petals (new stamp) and the certificates came at the same time, but the stock of old marked flutes remained to be sold first, ergo the certificates appearing first in the cases.
These certificates did not include the serial number of the flute inside (funny, how else to prevent the "fraud" they worried so much about?) or any other identifier. The numbers on certificates appeared with the second batch, which had a cartouche on the right side.

No big deal on the straight C shank (touch). this was the style for quite some time until the uplifted touch showed up (again, the catalogue has the details to show when that was....just don't have it handy right now).

I think i have this one on my catalogue, but will check.
The address is funny on first blush, but just my own react.
I'll be checking

dm
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I've checked and everything on this flute checks out.
The serial number is good and so is the box. The address is one of the earlier of the Piazza mark (which incidentally was just on the other side of the building for R&R from all their other addresses at Tavistock).

A bit steep for my tastes, but I don't doubt there's some dealer-wannabe out there who will pay way too much for it, stuff it away and then attempt to sell it as an expert some time from now.

You'll know it when you see it. :D
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

A nearly duplicate flute sold in September, #704. A nice Rudall with the same rollers on the foot keys. Even had the same pin at the A hole. But condition wasn't near as good.

The flute had flat key cups and a high-E trill. Slightly different, yes, but very very similar.

Very nice!
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Looks like there could be a silver pin inserted just at the side of left Hand 3 hole?
Not obvious to me what its for, might have been a bit of damage at the birth? Key Block has been refitted. A crack, what's the thinking?

This ebayer often sells flutes and used to have a different ebay ID.

Kevin
Last edited by gorjuswrex on Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

gorjuswrex wrote:Looks like there could be a silver pin inserted just at the side of Right Hand 3 hole?
Not obvious to me what its for, might have been a bit of damage at the birth? Key Block has been refitted. A crack, what's the thinking?

Kevin

I think this is known construction method on some R&R. You can see it on the other key blocks.

Perhaps as a device to strengthen the key block? Or to keep to block from changing shape and seizing up the key?

Chris Norman's boxwood has them pretty clearly seen.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

My Rudall and Rose (#4009) also has the little round metal pins in the keyblocks, as is seen in the blocks for the G# and long F keys on this flute. But I wonder about the one on the C key, which is right up against the third finger hole of the top section. At first glance I thought it was an imperfection in the photo, but it can't be that as it shows up in the same spot in two different photos. That doesn't look all that stable, but I guess if it's survived all these years it must be.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Aanvil wrote:
gorjuswrex wrote:Looks like there could be a silver pin inserted just at the side of Right Hand 3 hole?

Kevin

I think this is known construction method on some R&R. You can see it on the other key blocks.

Perhaps as a device to strengthen the key block? Or to keep to block from changing shape and seizing up the key?

Chris Norman's boxwood has them pretty clearly seen.
That was another R&R feature, I believe the pins are to try to prevent cracking between the block, as sometimes this happens. They are steel pins, not silver, as far as I know...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon